The State of UM Basketball

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Now that they got this W, I think they need to split the next four to feel ok on making the tournament.

Hopefully they play a competitive, close game Tuesday to keep a little positive momentum.

So our defense moved down to 180 on kenpom now. Yikes.

1 Like

Itā€™s a weird year (or last 5 games). I read up to this point this is Beileinā€™s 3rd best O amd worst D.

I donā€™t think our O is as good as theyā€™re showing and donā€™t think our D is this bad. Guess weā€™ll see what progresses/regresses.

Iā€™m pretty convinced our offense is as it appears. Despite what it sometimes looks like, Beileinā€™s offense truly is a thing of beauty when it operates correctly, even without a Burke or Stauskas. Letā€™s not forget we still had the number 67 offense in 2015 in the country with this as our lineup for half the year:

And this year itā€™s not like weā€™re getting extraordinarily lucky on our threes or anything like that. Weā€™re just not turning it over at all and shooting well from every level. It really is too bad about our defense being so unfathomably abysmal, because if it was even like last years then I think weā€™d be at least 4-1 in the Big Ten right now and feeling a lot better about the team.

1 Like

Very good point on '15. I agree that we have a great offense, I just donā€™t think weā€™re quite top 15. It is a beauty to watch knowing weā€™re putting up these O numbers without a NBA player.

Itā€™s too bad we canā€™t exert a little more energy on D in order to sacrifice some O. I fully agree weā€™d be pretty darn good with a top 100 D, even if our O went down a little bit.

Michigan basketball at crossroads: Will it languish or flourish?

Caveat, itā€™s an editorial by mgoblog.

The article says itā€™s by Anthony from Maize n Brew

2 Likes

Michigan needs to decide if their basketball program is simply out to win more than they lose, get into the tournament and maybe win a game or two, or if they want to be a Big Ten and national title contender.

I see sentiments like this a lot, and itā€™s a waste of time. No oneā€™s going to hold a presser like Brady Hoke and say if Michigan Basketball doesnā€™t win the B1G every year, then that seasonā€™s a failure. At the same time, no one is going to hold the same presser and say that just getting into the tournament is fine with them. At best, thereā€™s going to be soft platitudes about high standards and expectations and blah, blah, blah. Actions will always speak louder than words.

oops, snafu.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever read more than one article per month from them so I have no clue if their basketball coverage is any good.

X defensively is what we need in the pg for the future

1 Like

15-0 run to end the game smh

1 Like

I have a feeling this game tears the soul out of this team and theyā€™re not even competitive for many of the remaining games.

Also to add seems like Derrick is hurt wonder what his status will be. Officiating killed us. Gotta win our next 3

If Walton isnā€™t hurt, I donā€™t think so. Illinois is up next at the right time. Plenty of revenge motivation there to keep playing hard.

Iā€™ve said it before but I think their season almost rests on the Indiana game. A loss there and with @MSU, things could then look bad.

2 Likes

Pretty impressed with the boardā€™s lack of complaining. The refs were absolutely terrible, and so was Mark. Gotta hope Teske supplants him. Also, how about those seniors? They made some bone-head plays, but we were in it because of those guys. While the loss is frustrating, because a win wouldā€™ve been so great, Iā€™m pretty happy to beat the line. Hopefully @tarverine is right, and we dont get too disheartened.

1 Like

Weird, I feel like the opposite - stood toe to toe with a tough opponent on the road and fought until the end. If nothing else, it should give us some confidence we can beat those guys in Ann Arbor.

4 Likes

We also ā€˜heldā€™ them to 37.5% 3pt! Thatā€™s only 1% higher than their season average!

1 Like