The State of UM Basketball

Something about that game broke us.

Only that low, after Illinois?

To be fair, itā€™s a drop of 16 spots in the last two games, which at this point is quite drastic.

We did not adjust at all. First off the refs were allowing Illinois to foul on almost every possession. They were completely blocking is on most possessions. That said Iā€™m not blaming the refs.

What I donā€™t get is why donā€™t we do the same. Get in their jersey and body then back. Instead we give them a ton of space and lightly contested jumpers. I donā€™t get it. Adjust.

So many things wrong in that loss. Illinois sucks and they just ran us. I did like some of our offense at times. At least they tried to get to the rim.

Moe really killed us. Also didnā€™t help Illinois hit everything. I know a lot of it is our defense but multiple teams have shot the lights out us against us that I donā€™t think they could replicate.

1 Like

Dead team walking. This is JBs most experienced team at Michigan and will likely finish as one of his worst. Very sad and frustrating.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not over yet, but we will see if beileins worth his
Accolades. im my opionion they are playing well below their talent level. Iā€™m convinced weā€™re more the smu/ Marquette team then this team.

They lost their confidence today and played completely lost and like a bad high school team. We shall see .if they rebound. I see a lot of ideas of how this team could be improve obviously besides d. Beileins needs to adjust to his roster a bit here

There too many offensive weapons/ players to be playing like this, the positive is we have a chance to get wins over good teams coming up. This could equal out their bad losses.

They will beat Nebraska. Mark my word,

This team is playing right at their talent level.

2 Likes

If this team is playing right at their talent level, then was last year a mirage and we overachieved just making the tournament? Weā€™re far behind what we showed last year IMO

Iā€™m still stunned that Kipper Nichols ( Frosh with only 18 minutes of PT all year) goes for 13 and 8 against us last night.

The dude has hardly even played and he comes up with 5 offensive rebounds!! Besides the fact that his energy level absolutely dwarfed ours. Highly disappointing and acutely revealing.

I do think there are ways to salvage next year. If JB misses out on Bamba, he needs to AGGRESSIVELY pursue 5th year shot creators and rim protectors. I was a huge advocate of Rodney Pryor and Jordan Matthews last summer and felt JB did not play the transfer circuit as well as he should, though he was more open than in the past. For this to happen, a few guys will have to be let go. Now, some of it canā€™t be solved because any team simply absorbs the mentality of their coach but the roster still has obvious holes. Thoughts?

It is so difficult to accept that the B1G was devastated by graduation/attrition and we returned everybody.

Yes last year was a mirage. People are quick to forget how bad our losses were to any team with a pulse. We literally did not belong on the same floor as Xavier Uconn or SMU.

We will squeak out a win or two (like last year) against teams with more talent than us because we will have a game where the 3ā€™s just fall. Itā€™ll be no different than last year.

Also, do not forget, in any other year, we do not make the tournament last year. We sneaked in because two teams vastly better than us were on probation.

You are currently watching the ceiling of this yearā€™s team. Next year, I truly believe the ceiling is even lower if JB is still here.

1 Like

JBā€™s philosophy to the game of basketball is flawed. Heā€™s not recruiting at a level to make up for it. Letā€™s collectively dig our heads out of the sand and realize this.

So if last night was the ceiling for this team, what was the team we saw against Marquette this year?

Early in the season basketball. Michigan is no different right now than they were vs Marquette. Thatā€™s what happens when the core group of players you lean on hit their ceilings as Juniors.

I havenā€™t followed Marquette close enough to say for certain, but I assume those players are improving. Marquette would run us out of the gym right now.

I disagree. You could see the effort on defense earlier in the season. We werenā€™t a great defensive team, but you could see Donlon making a difference. That effort on that side of the floor has fallen off.

They need to try Teske to see if he can offer any rim protection and/or rebounding. They give up way too much inside which just compounds the rest of their defensive issues.

1 Like

Hmmm. Interesting new sign up we have here, feels familiar. Nice effort though.

8 Likes

I just donā€™t see any major changes happening this year, so I think weā€™re going to see more clunkers on the road like last night, but also a few random nice wins that will keep us baffled about the team.

JB is not going to bench Zak or DWalt, and we need to keep Mo and DJ on the court for progression purposes. Maybe the rotation expands a little, but I feel like the only changes weā€™ll see are the minutes distribution for MAAR, Duncan, and X - which really donā€™t seem to have a rhyme or reason at this point. I also like the idea of Teske getting a few more minutes if Mark continues to go through the motions while Mo is getting beaten down low.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, why did he get suspended in the first place?