The Point Guard Spot

Yes, at this point, I think you are in the minority.

6 Likes

lol I donā€™t need confirmation of that!

Iā€™ll stand with you here and agree. Brooks has played well and Simpson in small spurts, but the ceiling is capped with those two.

Iā€™d be fine not playing Simmons until the December cupcakes since he hasnā€™t earned it yet. However, he needs to start playing lots of minutes starting 12/16 against Detroit.

Iā€™d prefer to see Simmons EARN 25 mpg. If he could do that, it would help a lot. Occasionally he shows nice flashes, like tonight with that slick entry pass to Moe. Turnovers appear to be his biggest issue right now. If he can solve that, heā€™ll see the floor more.

I have to say after these first 9-10 games I feel that the player who may have the best upside and hopefully soon to be the pick and roll play maker would be Poole. If he could just make the simple play. He has a decent handle and is long enough to pass over defenders.

Reminds me of a Johan Cruijff quotation:

Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

5 Likes

Brooksā€™s ceiling is capped 10 games in as a freshman playing between 10 and 18 minutes of game?

5 Likes

I like the look of this site at present, but the way you canā€™t quickly tell when a comment is a replyā€“at least here on Chromeā€“is aggravating. You shouldnā€™t have to slowly clock that a comment is a response to something, then hunt around for what sparked it.

Thereā€™s literally an icon in the top right of every reply to designate if a post is a reply to something else. Clicking it takes you right there.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really confused about the minutes Brooks is getting.

I get that Simpson ā€œknowsā€ the defensive rotations and has Beileins trust on that end, but Eli needs to play through his learning curve moments.

I am completely surprised that we lost a game in which Z scored 11 points though. Got to be a career high?

2 Likes

I personally think Eli should be playing 25 minutes a game with Z serving as a capable backup for 15, Coach.

5 Likes

Walton and Burke had very different styles.

Simmons has shown us a ā€œstyleā€ of defense that is uniquely his own, thankfully.

Film did suggest that Simmons was going to be very good in pick and roll but he hasnā€™t shown that for us yet. I am surprised that he hasnā€™t looked better but I donā€™t think he has shown us good play yet.

1 Like

This teamā€™s ceiling, not Brooks. Heā€™s been great and Iā€™m really excited about his future. Heā€™s going to be really really good as he grows.

The team needs a PG who can break down defenses when things go cold. Get some easy buckets. Simmons is the guy who can do that. Brooks eventually will, but I know heā€™s still learning.

2 Likes

When I adjust for playing time I like Brooks season boxscore, 10 games in, better than I like Simmons season boxscore.

Brooks, so far, passes my eyeball test over Simmons as well, both offensively and defensively.

From my point of view, Brooks is a Freshman outplaying the expected Senior pre-season MAC player of the year. That is significantā€¦

I have to disagree with what you are saying.

I think we are all very open to Simmons earning more playing time as Bebopson suggested, but he has not earned more playing time from anything I have seen, in fact he seems to be falling behind Brooks and Z with every new gameā€¦I am saying this as someone who really wants to the see the Senior have some success in his last yearā€¦

5 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s clear what Iā€™m saying. Iā€™m not questioning how good Brooks is playing and Iā€™m not questioning how poorly Simmons has played.

My point is the overall team ceiling is higher with Simmons playing well. Whether he ends up playing well this year, who knows. Iā€™d like to let him try and give him the minutes to do it, starting on 12/16.

If Beilein thought differently he wouldnā€™t have brought in Simmons. Heā€™s rightfully not playing him since he hasnā€™t really earned it.

My beef is nobody is earning anything this year with Beilein so far. Poole didnā€™t earn more minutes, Brooks hasnā€™t earned the right to close games. (Both should is my point) His rotations donā€™t make sense and itā€™s having adverse affects by guys playing not to make a mistake, playing without rhythm and looking over their shoulder. Iā€™d like to see what Simmons can do when he doesnā€™t have to play that way. Letā€™s see him play through mistakes and play larger minutes.

1 Like

Coach is going by how guys perform in practice, not games. Until somebody irons out all his kinks and starts performing consistently in practice, weā€™ll continue to see an unsettled rotation. You have to hold guys accountable in practice.

2 Likes

I can agree with some of what you are saying about the merit system being a bit out of whack. IMO Robinson has earned less playing time, whereas, Teske, Livers, Brooks and Poole have earned more playing time and yet it does not seem like JB is using a reward/punishment systemā€“which I find very odd.

How are Teske and Livers only getting 10 and Robinson is getting 30?

Good point bebopson. I always forget about practice!

Thanks. But your comment is a response to mine, and thereā€™s nothing there to indicate it. bebopsonā€™s Johan Cruyff quote is a response to another post above, but I canā€™t tell what. Not the end of the world, thoughā€“just an observation.

mine was a response to the previous post, but I guess I clicked the blue thread reply button. it stands out more. maybe @umhoops could change the style of the individual post reply to make it draw the eye a little better.