The five factors that will determine our ceiling this year

There actually is reason to expect Wilson to be out there with Donnal/Wagner because it’s come straight from JB’s mouth that Wilson is a wing (I.e. A 3/4 in his offense). Whether he actually plays significant time there will be determined on how well he plays.

We know that JB doens’t traditionally play two traditional bigs at one time. Nobody has even argued that with you. Everyone is just pointing out that Wilson is considered a wing (a 3/4 in our offense) and will play at the same time as a 5. Because that is what JB has said and that is what we should expect until proven otherwise.

3 Likes

So would you say Deshawn Sims and Evan Smotrycz were small forwards in college? That’s a hot take.

1 Like

Well, I predict that you lose this argument the very first game of the season when Wilson enters the game and either Wagner, Donnal or Teske is also on the floor. Shouldn’t be too hard to confirm.

4 Likes

So are you arguing that Beilein’s first year, when the roster was a train wreck of guys he didn’t recruit, and he barely had five guys who were even playable at a Big Ten level, is relevant to the kinds of lineups he’s put out every season recently? Seriously? Tell me you’re not arguing something so stupid just to play gotcha.

And Smotrycz a power forward? Please. Even sillier.

Do you agree or disagree that Beilein has not played two bigs at once for any significant time over the last five years?

If you actually have an argument, give a straight answer…agree or disagree. If you dodge, dance or sling bullshit, everyone will know you have nothing.

Agree or disagree? We’ll go from there.

Once again, depends what you mean by ‘big’. If it means a center and a “power forward”, no. If you mean a center and a wing who happens to be 6’8"+, yes. Last season: Robinson/Chatman, both 6’8", played the wing. Stop getting hung up on the semantics of a ‘4’. A Beilein 4 is a wing. Doesn’t matter how tall he is, he’s not a ‘big’ aka post player aka power forward. Is Dirk Nowitzki a power forward? Nope. Is he tall? Yep. Same goes for Wilson.

1 Like

I’m asking you what position Evan Smotrycz is. What position did he play for Maryland, the 3 or the 4?

I asked if you thought Smotrycz was a SF and you dodged, danced, and slang b/s instead of answering the question.

The obvious answer is:
Evan Smotrycz played the 4 at Michigan and the 4 at Maryland.

Evan Smotrycz often played at the same time as Jordan Morgan. Thus, Beilein often played a 4 with a 5.

Move along.

1 Like

Duly noted that you refused to answer a simple and direct question. I think we both know why.

I really don’t give a rat’s ass what he played at Maryland, but he certainly wasn’t a power forward here. Nor was he a small forward. Call him a wing, call him a big shooting guard if you want, but he was a not a big, by any stretch of the imagination.

Now, please proceed to dodge my simple, direct question again. I know you won’t disappoint.

Are you serious right now?

Watch your language.

Now we know what deflection MChem will go with when D.J. Wilson plays alongside Donnal/Wagner.

“He certainly isn’t a power forward here. Nor is he a small forward. Call him a wing, call him a big shooting guard if you want, but he was a not a big, by any stretch of the imagination.”

lol

This guy just called Evan Smotrycz a shooting guard and expects us to respect that take.

MChem83 I think you have been watching a different game then the rest of us.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how this argument even started, but like every time MChem tries to start something it appears it’s everyone on the board and then him so I don’t think it’s worth continuing… I agree with UMHoopsFan that the factors he listed are essential in our success this year and think he’s pretty much spot on with his confidence in each, although I am a bit more confident in the duo of Donnal and Wagner.

1 Like

I re-read what MChem said several times. I think the core of his argument revolves around one basic belief: Watson will be significantly better wing than Wilson. On its own that is not a crazy belief to hold onto at all. If Watson is significantly better than DJ, then he might force Irvin and Robinson (on a very limited basis I hope) to play 4-wing and that scenario will probably keep Wilson on the bench…

I think the side arguments that MChem used to prop up his prediction that Wilson will not play much are incorrect. Plus, I do not agree with the prediction because I believe DJ has talent.

2 Likes

MChem shows that he clearly isn’t much of a basketball guru to be such a hot take artist.

2 Likes

As expected, you can’t answer my question. Or to be more accurate, you can, but you won’t, because you know that an honest, fact-based answer would require you to admit that I’m right. So you claim that “rat’s ass” has singed your virgin ears. That’s all I need to know.

Um…no…you didn’t get the core of my argument at all. If you want to know what I think, feel free to ask me. The argument that I used to prop up my prediction that Wilson won’t play much is that he’s going into his third year and has shown nothing much beyond garbage-time production, despite having no one of any significance ahead of him. No player in Beilein’s whole history here has broken out that late. Pretty much everyone who was going to be any good has shown it in their first year on the court. Feel free to dispute me with facts, but we both know you won’t be able to, any more than anyone else in this thread.

And I have never said that Watson would be significantly better than Wilson. Feel free to dispute that, too, or admit that you lied. I have no idea how good Watson will be. I only know that we need more depth at his position that we do at Wilson’s, based on consistent history of how Beilein deploys his players.

That argument is fine and you’re entitled to your opinion. When you start defending it by saying “Beilein never plays a 4 with a 5” then you look uneducated because Smotrycz was a 4 (for both us and Maryland) and played alongside 5s. When you then go on to call Evan fricken Smotrycz a shooting guard… well… that joke writes itself.