Spike Albrecht to Purdue

You think he chose Purdue because he’s bitter at UM and Beilein?!

The kid had an offer to Appalachian State before Beilein gave him an opportunity to play at Michigan.
If anything, he should kiss Beilein’s feet when he leaves.

You do realize that it’s not always Beilein’s decision too, right? Spike had to decide if playing around Walton, MAAR, and X would be ideal for him, knowing full well that JB has to get X some minutes.

I think the fit at Purdue is perfect for Spike and for Purdue.

It was mutual. I don’t know why some people think Spike would’ve come back even if he was offered the last spot. He wants to play, not be the #3 PG and get spot minutes. Therefore, most of these arguments about whether he would be helpful in that role are pointless

2 Likes

…I don’t think the situation Spike was looking for matched the situation Beilein was after.

1 Like

If Spike was content with 3rd string minutes, he’d be here…

I agree which is why I’m confused about Mullins. Maybe they told Mullins he’d only get ten min a game possibly? I want them to fill the spot with a real wing. If they fill it with a combo guard grad transfer who’s on the shorter side I’ll be puzzled. Unless he’s significantly better than spike.

Optically, this does not look terrible to me. Beilein is making the decision that is best for Michigan, as he should.

It is perfect. I think he is quite looking forward to playing us though. Bitter might be a strong word. i guess I’m just confused why they went after mullins. They had to have been promising him 20-25 minutes no?i guess I don’t see why that couldn’t have been spike then. I don’t see why he’d turn down those type of minutes if offered. I guess I want to hear where Mullins minutes were coming from/ the plan.

Pretty clear that Mullins is a guy they saw playing the two behind Muhammad. Spike is a PG that would be playing behind Derrick and X.

I agree, but only for the moment. Beilein MUST find another grad transfer, if this decision is going to end up being the best for Michigan. Now, if Spike wasn’t content with the what he thought/was told his role would be, that’s a completely different story (and just speculation). But, in terms of positional need, I think that the grad transfer market can and should yield a more useful player. No disrespect to Spike, it’s just about roster construction.

This whole process, much like Caris’ injury, was pretty odd. I don’t know if they could or could not have been handled better…but in Spike’s case, he “retired” from basketball less than 5 months ago. Hard to fault JB or anyone else on the surface for not knowing exactly how to handle.

Bottom line, I wish Spike a great final year of basketball. Great kid, gave stand up interviews, played with passion. He represented UM very well for 4 years on and off the court.

Are you sure? Do you think it was offered for sure? Also I don’t see why he’s gaurunteed third string minutes. What if God forbid there is injuries/ what if x pulls a chatman and has a hard time adjusting. I don’t see that but who knows. Maybe spike would have earned starter minutes/six man minutes. This is a year they should be going for broke with all the upperclassmen. Anything that could help us win now would have been my priority. I certainly see him if heAlthy as a top five player on the team.

I definitely don’t get the “lack of transparency” comment. JB has been pretty up front and open about the Spike situation the entire time. If he’s holding any information back from the press and public, it is probably to protect Spike, which I am fine with.

I really hope Spike heals completely and has a great final season at Purdue, but I won’t believe it until I see it.

1 Like

Right, we need someone that can play the 2 or 3 or both. We may or may not find such a guy, but if we kept Spike, we would have no chance to find that guy.

I agree but I think they could do just as well with a rotation of Walton,x, maar, spike. Mullins is a bit undersized/ weak on d as well so I don’t see the difference by to much.

I just hope he finds someone who is taller/more athletic and who is s pure wing. A guy who could play either wing spot similar to Aubrey makes the most sense.

IMO, you don’t use the final scholarship as an insurance policy for a third PG when you have a pressing need at another position. Also, Beilein indicated that there could still be more attrition.

That’s what I decipher from Beilein’s comments.

I wonder what other grad transfers are out there that they like. Who do u guys see as transferring? Kam? I’d be a bit surprised if so. He certainly has a shot to play a lot with this roster make up. I know you guys said dj loses his redshirt if he leaves but I could see that. Still would have two years. Is donnall a dark horse? Not gaurunteed to get his red shirt/ and is told he’s losing his job? I hope not as I could see Donall being a nice big off the bench.

I do think the teams best lineup would be to start Wagner. I think Wagner is due for a huge breakout year. He’s one of the reasons I’m high on the team this year. I really wish we’d ISO him more on the block. I think we’re doing his game a injustice not giving him more looks down. Low. It also would add a nice wrinkle to the offense. Draw and kick out. Never feeding the low post I think hurts our spacing and allows teams to cheat out to much.

I know it doesn’t seem like it as I’m advocating for spike but I agree. If they use it in a 2/3 pure wing who can contribute I think that’s the best use for the spot. But if he’s looking for an undersized combo guard who’s best attributes are shooting and passing and not defense then I’d be puzzled/want spike. mullins chase just confused me.

Anyone have any Intel on other grad transfers/ class of 16 late signing? Kostas is only name I’ve heard. I’m actually really high on that option but I don’t see it happening/ heard nothing of similar interest.

It’s obvious Michigan didn’t want Albrecht back. The issue I have is they showed interest in Mullins who’s another small guard. Beilein puts out the line they didn’t need a 3rd PG. Wasn’t Walton last year more effective playing the 2? So there would still be room to play Albrecht and not rush Simpson. Also Mullins would take time to understand the offense as opposed to the more experienced Albrecht. Why would they have even pursued Mullins in the first place?

1 Like

My point exactly. That’s my issue I’ve been repeating in here. Hopefully they fix this and add a wing.