Scholarship Situation

Maybe we use only 4 scholarships for incoming freshmen instead of 5.

Not possible because they already signed LOI

I just don’t like to speculate about this stuff. Somehow it will work out.

5 Likes

I thought LOIs didn’t bind the school, just the player. Also, couldn’t it be an agreement between player and school?

Technically, they could but that would be a bad look for Beilein so that will never happen and would be used against him for negative recruiting. Also, JB goes by the book and he wouldn’t do it anyway since he has a highly rated recruiting class.

Beside, I think Moe is as good as gone anyway so it’s moot point.

I believe the school is bound (as in binding) to provide an athlete who signs an LOI with that school an athletic financial aid scholarship for a minimum of one year. I believe the B1G may be more restrictive than that, and Coach B, well, even if he could, he would not renege on a signed LOI.

I don’t believe Moe is “as good as gone.” I don’t accept the notion that some on here have expressed that “Moe should go.” The decision as to what Moe will do is a decision that belongs exclusively to Moe, his family, and Coach B. Obviously NBA General Managers may (will) have a huge amount of input as well, but ultimately, the decision is Moe’s to make. Fortunately Moe has Coach B, the most honest and ethical coach in college basketball, to help guide him.

I’ve said it before, as have others, Moe LOVES Michigan. He loves Ann Arbor, his teammates, college basketball, he loves this experience. Sadly, professional sports offer many of these young men an obscene amount of money, and there are many people in our society who believe money drives everything. Fortunately, not all of us believe in the power of the almighty dollar. Some of us do what we do for the sheer LOVE of it.

I Absolutely will support Moe no matter what his decision is, and I’m sure EVERYONE on here will, as well. If the NBA comes calling and offers him a whole lot of money, an economist or a financial adviser (I worked as a financial adviser after I retired as a teacher and coach) would advise him to take that money and run, to take that money and grow it. What a great career, and afterwards, can you imagine Moe as an analyst? Moe or Charles, not even close. Moe all the way, I’ll take him everyday!

But again, who are we to say what he should or shouldn’t do. We’re fans. Our job is to support our team, our coach, the individual players, our university…it is not to advise players, or even coaches, as to what they "should do. Full disclosure, I’ve NEVER been in a position to “take the money and run” so I guess it’s pretty easy for me to say, “do what YOUR heart tells you to do. Get good advice, but follow your heart.”

Just the thoughts of an old coach who taught in a public school, coached, mostly, at a public school, never got rich, though was always fairly comfortable, and LOVED what he did! LOVED it! In the meantime, GOSH DARN IT, We’re going to the final four!!! I’m excited and I’m SO happy for these kids, their families, our coaching staff, and our fans! Go BLUE!!!

Paragraphs

5 Likes

Thanks for the critique. Is my edited version up to your standards? Somehow, I think you’ll still find fault, but that’s OK. My PhD son who is a retired college professor, and whose opinion I value, said, “Dad why would you even bother with a critique that simply say’s ‘Paragraphs?’ You wrote a thoughtful comment. If someone wants to criticize you for it and all they can say is ‘Paragraphs,’ I don’t know why you’d bother to respond.” I hope what I wrote is readable now that I have edited it.

@silverblue I think it was just jabbing a little fun at your expense, I wouldn’t look at it as a critique. Obviously love your views and contributions, and we’re ALL riding high right now as UMhoops fans!

I will say it is easier on the eyes (and to follow) when you break the thoughts up into paragraphs. But Keep on with your posts, sometimes I question whether you are my own father because you share similar thoughts all the time.

Go Blue!!

3 Likes

I am not suggesting that Beilein would ever renege on a scholarship. It would have to be mutual and perhaps already agreed to.

Much easier to read and visually more inviting, no?

1 Like

Absolutely, Chez. You’re right. I sometimes get overly sensitive in my old age. Sorry for the snarky comment on my part. I’m good. I hope you are, too. :blush:

I didn’t mean to put the hearts on the cheeks of my smiley face! LOL

I’m sorry, Champions. I guess I’m kinda getting in trouble today! I really didn’t mean to imply you were saying that! I really didn’t. Peace!

Thanks, Chip! By the way, Chip was my nickname as a kid, like 100 years ago! :smile: I’d love to meet your dad sometime. Is he a Michigan fan?

I’m a novice as far as how scholarships work. A lot of you know so much more so hopefully someone can help me out with this. Hypothetically, let’s say there was a current player on our team that could earn an academic scholarship and alleviate any potential roster issues. How would that work for that student athlete?

Not 100% sure about this, but I think the NCAA still counts them as being on a basketball scholarship, to avoid teams abusing a loophole. If they walked on in the beginning then it would be different.

1 Like

Yep, I was going to say this, too, but I just wasn’t sure enough about it. I even tried to research it this morning. I am pretty sure that it still would count against the 13 scholarship limit.

If that worked, Kentucky would have 30 players on its team—13 on basketball scholarship and 17 “academic” ones.

1 Like