Recruiting philosophy: shooting, athleticism, balance

November 17, 2013 begs to differ

I donā€™t know about you, but Iā€™ll gladly take an elite 8 appearance and conference championship over a meaningless game in November.

1 Like

I would say I would rather ā€˜wishā€™ to be like OSU, which waited till the visit to offer, than wish to be like Iowa State (not that I dont really admire ISU). Youā€™re obviously entitled to your own opinions, but comparing us to random schoolsā€“about a very specific part of the recruiting processā€“seems unproductive.

I would say random comparisons to any of these situations (which are all different) and drawing conclusions about what they mean and how they correlate to success is bit ridiculous.

2 Likes

The Iowa state one might be worse. Hell, we could become like Illinois and offer every player available. I love our style of offering, prevents a lot of negative style of kids from coming here and we got to the championship game this way.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a fine line though. An offer from a school probably signals a lot of interest and an invitation to visit. If Beilein has never been one of those social media type people, texting, showing love to recruits how does that come across if they have strict guidelines in regards offers, transcripts, academic tours etcā€¦

Just when everyone was getting along, we get into a debate about whether weā€™d trade places with Iowa State! :scream:

I will say this about the offer debate: I donā€™t think that people who dislike the offer policy would suddenly be happy if JB did everything else the same but gave out ā€œoffersā€ earlier and without visits. In other words, JB recruits in general with a little different M.O./style than many other coaches. Some hate it, some love it, others have mixed feelings about it. The offer issue itself kind of distracts from, and really canā€™t be separated out from, JBā€™s overall style as a recruiter.

1 Like

That would all be fine and dandy but Iowa State has been the much more consistent program over the last 5 years. Despite UMā€™s 2 outliers in 13 and 14, Iowa State is still almost identical with UM in terms of overall wins, conference wins, and tournament wins. So for me, the 13 game is meaningful because UM was at the peak of the gimmick year, loaded with talent, and still couldnā€™t beat a team that plays the identical style.

1 Like

You may love it, but I can tell you factually that most kids donā€™t view it as a positive attribute for UM recruiting. The net result is negative. From that standpoint, why would you like something that potentially hurts your programā€™s on court success if the change is something so simplistic and yet within the confines of the rules?

2 Likes

Letā€™s play a game ā€¦ What recruits has Michigan lost because it didnā€™t offer early enough? Building off of that, what notable recruits has Michigan lost to someone who offered before it did. I havenā€™t thought it all the way through so Iā€™m not sure of the answers.

Iā€™m not even touching ā€˜the peak of the gimmick yearā€™ debateā€¦ Woof.

What recruits has UM won because it offered late/after a full academic tour. Works both ways my friend. Iā€™m telling you that recruits donā€™t view it in a positive light. Whether you believe that or not, is your choice.

On the gimmick year, I mean what else do you call it? The program went from NC runner up to nearly a joke within 3 years. Seems like a lifetime ago that we were a legit program.

2 Likes

@MattD, I appreciate your takes on prospects, etc., but do we have to just blow up threads with scorching hot takes about the state of the program. Iā€™m sure you can search for this debate in the archives somewhere because you guys have all had it before.

Itā€™s one thing to talk about recruiting, but we all know where you and some others stand on this letā€™s not go down this flame road war again.

2 Likes