Recruiting Notes

Guys… enough of the “which area has better competition” argument. We all know Onsted, Michigan holds that crown.

7 Likes

Objectively, comp level is accounted for as well. In other words, 38.8% doesn’t hold as much value as it might because the comp level is poor.

But, to your point, a blind look at 38.8%, is what I consider above average/good

For me, subjectively, 34% in EYBL and range out to 25 in Detroit area HS > MAAR playing against bums.

1 Like

Hands down

It might not hold much value to you, but I’m asking what you’re basing the statement “MAAR couldn’t shoot a lick in HS” on. 38.8% from three does not support that statement.

34% is not above average. You called Elliot an above average shooter from 3. Do you have other stats that better support this?

Some of the air balls displayed in his HS film and his shooting at UM

I don’t have access/knowledge of Greg’s % this year.

Would you consider Jordan Poole a good shooter?

The airballs displayed in his HS film are anecdotal, no? He made 38.8% from three. That is a fact.

His shooting at UM is irrelevant because we are discussing how you concluded "MAAR couldn’t shoot a lick in HS

@MattD

Yes, I believe numbers would support Poole being considered a good shooter.

That’s fair. JB has shown a willingness to adapt to the times in some areas. Hopefully he will do the same when it comes to recruiting and in adding grad transfers.

Ok, I have to ask. Do you think that last years Lima Senior team that finished 2 points from an Ohio division 1 state championship couldn’t compete with DPL teams?

I don’t have the motivation to look up JPs EYBL stats, but my guess - and this is maybe where @MattD is going with this - is that JP’s stats weren’t that impressive. I remember like a 3-for-20 start to the circuit and some people freaking out that maybe he wasn’t a good shooter (instead of just being in a slump, which it clearly was).

If my memory serves, none of us were that knowledgeable about MAAR until that spring when he popped up on the radar as a potential late add (along with Dawkins). So its hard to say whether MAAR could or could not shoot a lick in HS because I doubt any of us saw him live during his HS seasons.

Here’s one key difference, though, as I see it - MAAR gets very little elevation on his jump shot, which means he basically needs to be wide open to make a three in college (and even then, he misses a lot). Elliott, on the other hand, gets very nice lift on his shot in those videos. So regardless of which guy shoots a higher percentage in high school, I think Elliott has a far greater chance of being able to make contested threes at the college level, which would be a big help to us.

Hey guys, let’s agree to stop these ridiculously pointless and petty debates over level of competition. Everyone knows that the competition level in your hometown is best.

High school basketball isn’t the sort of thing that you can look at the stats across states, cities, regions, whatever. We get it. Those things are still a data point, but I think everyone understands that they shouldn’t be the only data point.

From here on out, let’s cool it on the constant level of competition debates.

1 Like

Not having a competition debate. I’m looking for evidence that “MAAR couldn’t shoot a lick in HS” despite shooting 38.8% in HS.

Similarly, I’m looking for evidence that Elliot is an “above average shooter”.

I’m also looking for evidence that Jordan Poole is a good shooter considering he shot 27% from 3 in EYBL

Yeah, we have more statistics to go by than just Poole’s EYBL stats to evaluate how good of a shooter he is. If all we had were Poole’s EYBL stats, I wouldn’t consider him a good shooter. Likewise, as stand-alone stats Elliot’s EYBL numbers aren’t something I’d consider “above average”.

Regarding MAAR… exactly.

Yes, they could compete. Do I think they could beat the best PSL team this year (East English), no.

Not everyone thinks their hometown comp level is best…only a select few. That said, most would be hard pressed to find better comp than LA metro.

In terms of Detroit, I clearly acknowledged the comp level as above average and certainly not great.

Comp level is very relevant

It’s relevant as a one time mention in any sort of first look at a recruit. It’s not relevant (and now off topic) going forward in this thread.

I’m not really sure why MAAR’s shooting is such a relevant topic in ‘recruiting notes’ either, but Jordan Poole is shooting 44% from three at LaLu this year so that’s a relevant data point that he’s a pretty good shooter.

1 Like

I just flat out disagree with you, I think you’re wrong.

I think EYBL stats carry much more weight.

It’s not relevant moving forward? Guess that’s my que that you are flexing moderator/admin muscle. Point taken

I agree, Lima Senior is not that strong this year. I was only talking about the team X played on last year.