Recruiting Notes

Epps and Jackson are good competition?

Iā€™m not trying to be a smart ass im just wondering. Those the best guys he plays against outside AAU?

Yes for HS playing vs D1 players on consistent basis is above average comp, not great like LA or Chicago, but above average. Certainly not playing garbage like Eli Brooks or Champaign area basketball for sake of comparison

Iā€™ll also add that Greg has played against the following this year:

Detroit Cornerstone (Jamal Cain)

Macomb Dakota (Thomas Kithier, Jermaine Jackson Jr, Jack Ballytyne)

Wayne Memorial (Keion Epps, Rashad Williams)

Basically every game heā€™s played heā€™s matched up vs D1 talent

While champaign area isnā€™t great, only about half the games are champaign for Tim. As Iā€™ve already posted, Peoria, Bloomington, st Louis is MUCH better than any detroit area teams. Thatā€™s not even close to comparing. Gregs team play in any tournaments with good teams. I mean come on, look at the tourneys Tim has played in already. Great players involved. Not emu type players either.

While they may be d1 players, rather low d1 vs big ten d1 isnā€™t exactly the same.

Fwiw Rick pitino has been to champaign several times for finke.

Those players you listed in gregs conference?

I wouldnā€™t know about the comp level but is that actually the case? All of those areas are tiny compared to the Detroit Metro.

I understand itā€™s personal for you because you have a relationship with Tim, and I get that. Not trying to make it a Tim vs Greg argument at all. That said I think youā€™re wrong about comp level in those cities vs Detroit, but I could be wrong.

Of Gregā€™s 7 games, 3 of them have featured a high major player on the opposing team, while the remaining games have featured Division I players

Macomb Dakota (Thomas Kithier)

Detroit Cornerstone (Jamal Cain)

Kzoo Central (Isaiah Livers)

At the HS level thatā€™s pretty solid in my view

Yeah, IMO DPS on its own is not that strong (probably not any actual strong conferences in the entire state I think), but there are a lot of pretty good teams all over the metro area/state that play each other in the pre-conference.

If we are adding St. Louis, which Tim plays in tournaments down there, Itā€™s not even close IMO.

Agreed. If weā€™re taking into account metro Detroit (for which Greg plays against all the time) itā€™s not even close to those other cities in my opinion, including St Louis

He seems to have a bit of old manā€™s game to him, like Caris and Jamal.

I agree but the pg position could be very interesting if we canā€™t land a ball handler.

I like what in seeing with Greg for sure. wish our roster was built differently right now

Above average shooter from 3?

ā€œNo offense, but a comparison to MAAR is almost nuts. He couldnā€™t shoot a lick in HS. Greg is an above average shooter from 3 and a very good midrange shooter.ā€

MAARā€™s senior season:
42 of 108ā€¦ 38.8%

Greg Elliott EYBL:
13 of 38ā€¦ 34.2%

Iā€™m not sure what percentages you are basing your conclusion on. Do you have other stats on Elliot and MAAR?

2 Likes

Yes, hands down. Jamal Cain is generally considered a good shooter. He shot 37.3% in EYBL. Greg shot 34% which correlates to above average in that context.

Additionally, heā€™s proven to be a good shooter from distance in HS as evidenced in the clip above.

Very good midrange shooter as well

Iā€™m considering MAARā€™s comp level, which was very poor. I always factor that into my analysis. That is certainly a factor of my Brooks analysis.

As I said before, I wish I could trade Brioks for Greg. That would be a huge upgrade in so many ways in my opinion.

Bottom lin for me is that If Maar was a take Greg has to at leas be seriously looked at, no matter the roster composition, it ridiculous to think they arenā€™t following him

2-4 months of a real weight training regimen and he will at least be respectable in size

38.8% is a decent percentage even against poor competition. Saying ā€œhe couldnā€™t shoot a lick in HSā€ is pretty odd for someone objective to say.

What is Greg shooting this year? You called him an above average shooter. I donā€™t consider 34.2% to be "above average.

If 38.8% is ā€œnot being able to shoot a lickā€, then 34.2% shouldnā€™t be considered above average IMO.

2 Likes