Putting together the class of '17

OK, I’m outnumbered, and by people who have a lot of experience in evaluations and have seen him play more than me. I give in. I’ll assume he’d be a full time, or virtually full time, 4 if he comes.

Not as tough on the glass in relation to Donnie and Kyle, but not inadequate either. To give a bit of context, I could easily see Donnie averaging 7-8 Rebs whereas I think Livers is more likely to avg around 5

That’s sad to hear about livers. I really hope he’s a real option if young falls through. I don’t like the idea he’d rather go to state

Shooter vs Athlete is the question and how to balance that out. How about 1 for 1, at guard Poole/Matthews at forward there are many more prospects. Young and Livers considered shooters, Tillman an athlete for the 4 position then at the 3 Cain (both?), Wilkes?, Lawrence?, Samuels?, Gaines (athlete). Or is PG higher priority? Zack Dawson hopefully gets prioritized.

Then if Mark doesn’t get a fifth year you have a spot for best available overall player.

If you can add Poole, Matthews, Cain and Young to the guards and forwards that Michigan already has I think that becomes a really nice group. Obviously a ‘best case’ now given the offers that are out there.

That gives you Simpson, MAAR, Ibi, Poole, Matthews, Cain, Young as you go up the ladder on the 17-18 team.

You add rebounding (Young), athleticism (Matthews, Cain), shooting (Poole) to the mix.

Why not add both in the same player? Seems to me that would solve issues quickly. The two attributes are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Dylan, is Jaren Jackson completely out of the picture? Because if not, he has got to be #1 on Michigan’s board. Even if there is only a small chance, the coaches need to be all over that recruitment. Anyway, here’s how I hope the '17 class is put together:

1. Lock up Charles Matthews. The sell has got to be: we have a starting spot opening up as soon as you are eligible + we will do everything in our power in the next year to make you capable of being a primary option on offense, i.e., make sure you are practicing your jumper non-stop to make you a more well-rounded scorer. You WILL be a finisher.
  2. Put the full court press on Jamal Cain and Jaren Jackson. With Cain, you have to point out that he will be a guy that is relied upon to create…we are confident in Simpson as someone who can make good decisions in the halfcourt, but we need someone else and preferably taller. That means, like MattD already said, work on being the handler in the ball screen. We think you are a capable scorer with the ball in your hands, but continue to work on your handling, mid-range, and finding and delivering to open teammates. With Jackson, it has to be something like you are a piece we have never had…a tall, long 4. We are building a team of athletes and shooters and you are both. You will be a focal point of a team we think we can take to the Final Four, etc.
  3. Show a lot of love to Young and Donnie Tillman. Show how they would fit with the other players (hopefully we would have 1 of Cain or Matthews before either decides).
  4. Depending on how the 3 and 4 position shake out, go after a back up 1 like Davison or Dawson, a taller PG and one whose strengths would complement the rest of the class/roster.
3 Likes

This seems like a smart approach to building a real contender.

My best guess is that this looks like a typical Belein class with 1 top 100 kid in Poole, 1 top 125 kid in Cain and then a couple of sleeper types that may not even be on the radar at this point. I hope I am wrong, as there are a number of high talent guys that we are getting some interest from, but closing has not been a strength lately. Matthews could be a guy to break that trend and it sounds like we have at least a 50/50 shot, so here’s hoping the new staff can make the difference. .

1 Like

You guys think Dawson would be legit interested with x around considering he’s ranked high?

He’s a big PG so he can play at rhe same time as X I imagine. And while I think X is gonna be good for us, I don’t think he is gonna scare anyone away unless they have the same build and game as him. Dawson is bigger and more athletic

I hope you’re right, in a sense. I think that X will be very, very good. Not Trey, but very good. So I hope Dawson doesn’t shy away from the competition, and wouldnt mind essentially playing the 2, to be on the court at the same time as X. JB and UofM fans know that the 2 in our offense can have just as many on-ball duties as the 1.

Although I’m also planning on Poole owning the 2 minutes.

Dawson’s ceiling is MUCH higher than X. Honestly, I think he could wrestle away the starting job from him as a sophomore

1 Like

Based on athletic ability/measurables, I believe that Dawson’s ceiling could be higher. But X seems to have the IQ and intangibles that will make him JB’s court general for a long time. But, I hope we get Dawson and then I hope you’re right about him, because that will mean we will be beyond set at the PG position.

I will take Tillman’s motor, it adds more to this particular team.

Agree that Dawson has a higher ceiling and could compete for the starting job from the get go. That would be a lot of point-guardage on one team.