Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

I’d say the best comparison would be mix between Spike Albrecht and Jordan Hulls. He is a VERY good passer and a good shooter. Despite being listed as a “SG”, he brought the ball up the court for Columbia well over 50% of the time and controlled the offense. He came up big for Columbia in the final minutes of the CIT Championship game. If you start it at 7:37 left in the 2nd half you’ll see what he offers and you’ll probably get a Spike Albrecht vibe.

2 Likes

Whoa, Jordan Hulls seems like a great comparison. I would still prefer a grad transfer that can immediately play at our 4 spot, but couldnt complain much at all about getting Mullins.

1 Like

I would take Mullins in a minute. I think he could start for us at the two and if I am Beilein, that is what I am telling him.

1 Like

I think Mullins could help a lot next year and I would happily take him, unless we had a legit shot with a late blooming 2016 kid with upside like Kostas.

1 Like

Would Mullins start over MAAR at the 2?

No way MAAR would definitely start unless MAAR slides up to the 3 sending Duncan to the bench which I highly doubt.

I doubt Mullins would start over MAAR, but I could definitely see a playing time floor something like:

PG: Walton 30 / Simpson 10
SG: MAAR 30 / Mullins 10

Mullins possibly picking up extra minutes at the 1 in cases of injury and Simpson/Mullins getting extra minutes if Beilein plays all three at once.

Did Beilein ever play Walton / Albrecht / MAAR together?

Start over maar? Huh? I mean Mullins isn’t huge and seems to be a taller version of spike. I don’t know but is he worth anything on d? If not I’d rather just bring spike back if we can’t land kiostas or a better wing. Play Walton at the two. If we’re not going for a sf or an elite guard then I don’t see why we bring in Mullins over spike. Presuming spikes healthy. Spike running the point for the Hoosiers would be a nightmare. I could see him having a big year there. Great stop gap for whoever Hoosiers are bringing in.

Also kostas might not be as much of a project as you think. He’s improving dramatically every year according to his stats/ video… The difference between him and are other big man projects is that if you develop him properly he could turn into a elite prospect. That size length and agility is unreal. His handle appears above average for a big. Also he could play right away because of his defense, also appears to rebound well. Just look at that picture.

1 Like

Gotta believe Mullins is looking for a lot more than being a 10 minute contributor off somebody’s bench.

3 Likes

Also spike linked to cuse is funny. My buddy hates spike because of how he lit them up two years in a row. Would be funny if he went there now. Good fit as they really need someone who can shoot the three with coney gone.

I’m on board totally for Kostas, I was referencing Champions’ above post saying he could see Mullins starting at the 2.

I don’t see much value in bringing in Mullins to play 10 minutes a game for one season only. And he did average 13 PPG on 44% shooting from three so I do think it’s a fair question to ask. 3 assists per game as well.

1 Like

I’m confident that Beilein would give a guy who shot 44% from 3 (good catch and shoot and off the dribble shooter), averaged over 3 assists (with only a little over 1 TO), and is good in the pick and roll, a big opportunity to earn significant playing time next year.

6 Likes

Well I’m sure Beilein wouldn’t sell it as that. I’m sure Beilein would rightfully be telling him that there are 10-12 mpg available at backup PG and 10-12 mpg available at backup SG. His competition for those minutes would be a true freshman.

Education is obviously big for the kid, so being able to play 10mpg (floor) to 25 mpg (ceiling) while getting a graduate degree from Michigan isn’t that hard of a sell.

1 Like

I know I was referencing someone else but didn’t quote them.

But I don’t see how anyone would replace maar with him. Maar is essential. He’s the only threat to the rack/ to create off the bounce. Mullins would have to come off the bench.

Not saying he would start over MAAR, but Dylan’s article highlights some impressive advanced numbers. Mullins was in the 94th percentile in pick-and-roll efficiency, and was top 10% in catch-and-shoot and shooting off the dribble. The PnR and shooting off the dribble ability is sorely needed on this team.

2 Likes

He never had the chance to play them together with all the injuries so no they did not.

Well, he is a role player. I’m sure he’d be given the chance to compete for minutes but I still think he’d be utilized the way Spike was off the bench.

A few things that come to mind watching his film and looking at his numbers:

-44% from three might be slightly inflated (he is 39.4% on his career). I think he is a good shooter but not Hulls / Duncan Robinson level dead-eye. I’d put the O/U at 40% for him at a P5 school.

-His assist numbers are legit and I think he’d immediately become our best passer. In fact, I think his assist numbers don’t do his passing skills justice. He is in control of that (Princeton) offense and his passing can lead to a “hockey-assist” where a pass he made was the reason the play worked.

-He does seem to struggle on D in terms of staying in front of his man, but he is at least active in rotation and can recover when he needs to. I wouldn’t say he is Dawkins bad, but probably no better defensively than Spike was.

-Dylan probably has numbers to prove otherwise, but the two films I watched didn’t really stick out as being heavy volume PnR or above average in PnR situations. I’m not saying he isn’t good in PnR, just that offense seemed to be a lot more motion than ball screens.

At the Big Ten level, I think he’d have the floor of a Stu Douglass with the ceiling if Jordan Hulls. In between you get an Albrecht-level player that can give depth at two positions we lack it. I don’t think he really raises the ceiling for Michigan next year the way Peters would, but stabilizing the floor by assuring we won’t need to rely on minutes from Dakich / Ibi is a nice consolation prize.

1 Like

This is one reason that I think he’d be a great get–not every grad transfer can come in and immediately thrive in Beilein’s offense.

4 Likes

I hope we get the chance to see just what kind of role Mullins could earn at Michigan. Spike played 15 mins his 2nd year and 32 mins his junior year, although injuries played into that of course. And in '14-'15, in the couple games after LeVert was injured but before Walton went down for good, Spike started and played more than MAAR. And when all four guards were playing that year, Spike played a lot more than MAAR. Of course, MAAR has progressed since then. By the way, Douglass and Hulls were both starters on B1G champs.