Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

I still think we will give them a tough time. I think Walton is going to fulfill the promise we saw frosh year and put it all together, healthy. Irvin I expect to be Irvin, I think maar is our best all round player, Duncan can shoot the lights out and I expect Wagner to build on last season. I really hope we give moritz a lot of touches. He could potentially give any team fits. On the block too, not just rolling/ popping. He showed early he was very crafty on the block. I hope we let him work down there. I see the nba in his future, I really do.

What does this comment even mean? Iā€™m pretty sure Izzo doesnā€™t need you to come defend him every time someone so much as insinuates something potentially negative about Michigan State.

4 Likes

And thatā€™s OK. But, just to be clear, the ā€œempty chairā€ comment doesnā€™t necessarily follow the White comment. He may not want White but that doesnā€™t mean he is ā€œcontentā€ to have an empty chair. I am quite certain that if Coach Beilein found the right fit for that empty chair he would be more than happy to bring him on board.

LOL, this board is worse than Mlive.

1 Like

We get it dude. You donā€™t like Beilein. You can still hold that opinion while not injecting it into every thread. You have NO clue how dirty that recruitment of White may be, and Iā€™d advise you stop complaining about it. Itā€™s not happening, get over it.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think you understand just as I may not know how dirty the recruitment is neither do you but people just assume it is. This isnā€™t a like or dislike the coach this is a roster management and maximizing your scholarship amount and in the process giving your team a better chance for success issue.

2 Likes

Exactly! I donā€™t know how dirty or not dirty is so Iā€™m not gonna bitch about whether we go after him or not! Thank you!

Iā€™ll be extremely disappointed if we donā€™t use the empty scholarship. White was never that realistic, but others could be. We chased Mullins and didnā€™t get him, Baruti but never offered. To me, you only let Spike go if you are going to find a way to fill the spot.

1 Like

The Spike transfer will hurt, if we arenā€™t able to replace/improve on his projected production. But he may not have wanted to stay, after having a frank conversation with the staff, about his projected role on the team.

1 Like

The court has two ends, though. Itā€™s definitely plausible that the those guys could pan out that way offensively. Question is whether we can defend.

Yeah, from his interviews I always got that he wasnā€™t really interested in potentially playing behind Walton and Simpson.

There are three possibilities. 1. Beilein is not interested in White for whatever reason. 2. White is not interested in us. 3. Both 1 and 2. No one here has an idea which of these possibilities is correct and why. Sometimes we find out later, e.g. Barutiā€™s academic issues. Often, we donā€™t. Arguing without knowledge is fruitless.

8 Likes

Plus baruti effects multiple years. I feel like at this point there canā€™t be to many guys out there really worth having. What can you do. It would be nice to bring in a wing defender, if heā€™s out there.

@JonRothstein

Buffalo transfer Lamonte Bearden told @CBSSports that heā€™s considering Wichita State, Oregon, Miami, Virginia Tech, VCU, and Michigan

Not sure why Michigan would have interest he has to sit out this year.

Only a 23% three point shooter and would have 2 years of eligibility. Not what we need with Matthews already coming in unless Beilein plans on completely switching his style. He did have a top 150 assist rate last year, but his offensive rating was a frighteningly bad 87.7 against kenpom tier A+B teams.

Definitely not a shooter, seems like a slash and defend type of player. I guess you could make an argument on taking another traditional transfer if you say that heā€™s slotted for the Nojel Eastern/Eli Brooks PG/combo guard spot in the 2017 class.

Adding Matthews and Bearden would certainly make Michigan a better defensive team in 2017-18. Shooting starts to become real scary though.

One other potential factor hereā€¦ Saddi Washington began coaching under Buffalo HC Nate Oates at Romulus.

This certainly seems to suggest tremendous faith in Poole. It also increases the urgency to land Young/Cain/Jackson in order to offset with shooting at other spots.

Iā€™m very familiar with bearden (from Rochester) and Iā€™ve seen him play a bunch. If we canā€™t get eastern this is a very nice option, Iā€™d be very interested and happy if he signed. Good player. Quick/ can slash and run the floor. Big reason b lo got to the tourney. I really hope this happens if we donā€™t land eastern unless thereā€™s some other young pg on the horizon I donā€™t know about.

Honestly heā€™d get major minutes and could potentially win the job from x. I really hope heā€™s a real option, very nice player. Our 2017 team would be very good.

1 Like

Exactly. Iā€™d add Livers to the list as well. Guys like Justin Smith, Gaines, and arguably even Wilkes (though heā€™s just too good to pass up) would become lower (or non-existent) priorities, as they would with Eastern.

Bearden was suspended for three games last year for conduct detrimental to the team. Nothing was specifically stated as to the reason why, though there was an unsubstantiated rumor reported by a Buffalo radio station that he failed a drug test. Clearly, if we are interested, due diligence will be done about the reason for the suspension.

1 Like