Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

White entered the NBA draft and then withdrew and returned to Nebraska. Later he decided to transfer and went to the AD (without talking to Coach Miles) and requested the transfer. It sounds like there might be something going on within the Nebraska BB program or at least between White and Miles.
If there is bad blood between the two, this could affect White getting a clean transfer or restrictions being placed.

1 Like

Iā€™m all for the guyā€™s talent, but sometimes when there is this much drama surrounding someone it is best to steer clear.

Restrictions donā€™t necessarily matter. Biefeldt set the precedent with his appeal and transfer to Indiana

Canā€™t imagine Beilein going after White. Not his type of kid. Wouldnā€™t be shocked if NC State gets into the picture with the kid.

1 Like

Statement from Nebraska Menā€™s Basketball Coach Tim Miles
ā€œI spoke with Andrew late last evening in which he asked me how he can proceed with a release from Nebraska. There have been discussions with Andrew and his father about Andrewā€™s place in our program for months and this is his decision. Even though I am extremely disappointed, he will be given a complete release as the logistics are handled this week. We will move on. I am truly excited about our team and next season.ā€

1 Like

Such strange wording. I dont want to speculate as to what is going on/who is at fault, so I will just hope that Beilein thinks he would be good for the program and, if so, adds him. Similar to the Alec Peters pipe dream: he would be so perfect for our 4 and solve a lot of problems/concerns about 2016 season

Carefully worded strange press releases are generally meant to send a tactful message.

I agree that Andrew White III is a perfect fit for the four skillset wiseā€¦ Three point, perimeter skills, defensive reboundingā€¦ But thereā€™s obviously something about the whole situation that doesnā€™t quite add up and smells a bit fishy.

Whether it means there was something going on between White & Nebraska, some one poaching himā€¦ Certainly enough to make you pause, but I donā€™t know what it is. Not to mention that Beilein has been very vocal against in-conference grad transfers.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think UM restricted Max.

Max went through the whole appeal process similar to Spike.

I believe that was for the Big Ten rule covering inter league transfers. I was referring to a school placing specific school restrictions.

JB wonā€™t touch this kid. Moving on ā€¦

Column on White leaving Nebraska

1 Like

Seems like dad is in control

The thing about White is that he was already a very high-usage guy at Nebraska and without Shields he would be the man. Not going to find more shots anywhere else at a contender.

He could be looking for more wins on his resumeā€™ and national exposure (e.g. playing in the NCAA tournament), andā€“with all due respect to Tim Miles, who I think is a great coach and an even better personā€“better coaching.

Those are obviously the ā€˜niceā€™ reasons. Hopefully there wasnā€™t any lying or foul play by White or another school.

Yeah, heā€™s obviously looking for a higher-profile school, but Iā€™m not necessarily sure that will somehow make him a better NBA prospect.

Me neither, but a couple of articles have hinted that the Whites think winning is important to NBA evaluators.

And the article that you posted said that he was criticized for basically every facet of his game, outside of shooting. So maybe he thinks there is a coach out there who can help him improve his game, with his last year of eligibility.

There isnā€™t a single high major program that he would go to right now where he would be ā€œthe guyā€ and they would win.

Heā€™s a solid player and was ā€œthe guyā€ on a third tier Big Ten team. He didnā€™t see the floor on a top ten Big 12 team. He and his family just arenā€™t realistic in their thinking.

If he played for Michigan next year, he would be the most talented player on the roster, IMO. And we would be a serious contender if everyone stayed healthy.

1 Like

I saw something yesterday that said White was faced with questions such as ā€œIf youā€™re so good, why didnā€™t your team win?ā€ during the pre-draft process. Maybe not true, but if thatā€™s the kind of feedback he got, it makes sense to seek a better team. Either way, I canā€™t blame a kid for taking advantage of the system (where there are few rules that benefit student athletes) and going to play for a team where he can win AND display his talents. Obviously it was a tough decision for him considering how long it took.