Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

Yeah, from his interviews I always got that he wasn’t really interested in potentially playing behind Walton and Simpson.

There are three possibilities. 1. Beilein is not interested in White for whatever reason. 2. White is not interested in us. 3. Both 1 and 2. No one here has an idea which of these possibilities is correct and why. Sometimes we find out later, e.g. Baruti’s academic issues. Often, we don’t. Arguing without knowledge is fruitless.

8 Likes

Plus baruti effects multiple years. I feel like at this point there can’t be to many guys out there really worth having. What can you do. It would be nice to bring in a wing defender, if he’s out there.

@JonRothstein

Buffalo transfer Lamonte Bearden told @CBSSports that he’s considering Wichita State, Oregon, Miami, Virginia Tech, VCU, and Michigan

Not sure why Michigan would have interest he has to sit out this year.

Only a 23% three point shooter and would have 2 years of eligibility. Not what we need with Matthews already coming in unless Beilein plans on completely switching his style. He did have a top 150 assist rate last year, but his offensive rating was a frighteningly bad 87.7 against kenpom tier A+B teams.

Definitely not a shooter, seems like a slash and defend type of player. I guess you could make an argument on taking another traditional transfer if you say that he’s slotted for the Nojel Eastern/Eli Brooks PG/combo guard spot in the 2017 class.

Adding Matthews and Bearden would certainly make Michigan a better defensive team in 2017-18. Shooting starts to become real scary though.

One other potential factor here… Saddi Washington began coaching under Buffalo HC Nate Oates at Romulus.

This certainly seems to suggest tremendous faith in Poole. It also increases the urgency to land Young/Cain/Jackson in order to offset with shooting at other spots.

I’m very familiar with bearden (from Rochester) and I’ve seen him play a bunch. If we can’t get eastern this is a very nice option, I’d be very interested and happy if he signed. Good player. Quick/ can slash and run the floor. Big reason b lo got to the tourney. I really hope this happens if we don’t land eastern unless there’s some other young pg on the horizon I don’t know about.

Honestly he’d get major minutes and could potentially win the job from x. I really hope he’s a real option, very nice player. Our 2017 team would be very good.

1 Like

Exactly. I’d add Livers to the list as well. Guys like Justin Smith, Gaines, and arguably even Wilkes (though he’s just too good to pass up) would become lower (or non-existent) priorities, as they would with Eastern.

Bearden was suspended for three games last year for conduct detrimental to the team. Nothing was specifically stated as to the reason why, though there was an unsubstantiated rumor reported by a Buffalo radio station that he failed a drug test. Clearly, if we are interested, due diligence will be done about the reason for the suspension.

1 Like

Some more Bearden video. Think this is from his freshman year.

Assuming the stats don’t lie and he’s not a great shooter…I still do like his game, and his creativity once he starts heading toward the basket (use of left hand, stutter step, floater/runner, up and under moves, etc.). That can work in this offense. They don’t “look” alike, but his skillset is similar to MAAR except Bearden may be a better passer.

Whoever Michigan gets, Poole and Duncan on the roster will bring some shooting. I think Ibi will be a plus-shooter.

If you take another non-shooter (and creator) then I love the fit of Jamal Cain into the mix as a floor stretcher.

Bearden seems like he’s in the mold of a MAAR type player. A nice 4 year player that can defend and attack the hoop.

With him, you could take 2 more '17s and 2 '18s (not figuring attrition). I think there’s room on the roster.
And really if he’s not good, you don’t have to give a 5th year and get an extra '18.

JB has been spreading a wider net it seems. And I think he’s keeping more doors open. Good for him.

1 Like

Definitely a kid who’s game is conducive to how the college game was called last season. Has the quicks to get to the basket. Nightmare to guard.

Similar skill set and similar talent overall. Let’s hope we can make a real play for him. Guy is good. With the year off to improve his shooting he could be a nightmare. The idea of him, Maar, and Mathews would be a headache for teams. We’d run teams into the ground and get to the rack non stop. I also like it cause it still gives you three frosh to even the classes. Man I really hope this comes to fruition.

It would be a headache for our offense, specifically with Beilein’s system. I also don’t see the positives you do about him. He played in a fairly weak conference and still only managed an offensive rating of 105, and I already mentioned his atrocious rating against tier A+B kenpom teams of 87.7. Against those decent teams he shot 36.7% from inside the arc and 13.6% from three. Teams will simply sag off against that trio you described and force them to shoot jumpers, a strategy that will likely work to mitigate any positive impact they would have defensively. Simply put, Beilein’s offense would not work with only 1 guy on the floor who is a plus shooter (And even that’s an assumption with our current targets for the 4). If he as simply an alright offensive rating against that competition, how do you think that would translate to the Big Ten? I just don’t see why you take him when you could have a 2017 or 2018 guy who could have more eligibility and would probably have a jump shot.

1 Like

Have you watched him play any full games? With the year off what do you think they’d have those two working on. I don’t think eithers shots are broken. Plus Maar Imo is a solid shooter who will only improve, you can’t just sat off of him… I don’t necessarily know x will shoot that well either from deep.

I do know that he was pretty much the best player on the team each year on a pretty solid mid major squad and he is quick, can create, run the floor and if I recall he defended well. We’d still have shooters on the team. Improving your shot imo is easier to improve than your ability to create/ score at the rack. You provided an offensive rating but he certainly didn’t look out classed when I saw him in the tourney games. I don’t even recall him having bad games per say and I saw him play very well in the Mac many times.

I don’t see a negative here.

I would imagine he’d only play backup PG minutes or relief for MAAR if he’s here during that first year of eligibility.
I don’t think he’d play WITH MAAR and Mathews very often.