Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

I don’t think UM restricted Max.

Max went through the whole appeal process similar to Spike.

I believe that was for the Big Ten rule covering inter league transfers. I was referring to a school placing specific school restrictions.

JB won’t touch this kid. Moving on …

Column on White leaving Nebraska

1 Like

Seems like dad is in control

The thing about White is that he was already a very high-usage guy at Nebraska and without Shields he would be the man. Not going to find more shots anywhere else at a contender.

He could be looking for more wins on his resume’ and national exposure (e.g. playing in the NCAA tournament), and–with all due respect to Tim Miles, who I think is a great coach and an even better person–better coaching.

Those are obviously the ‘nice’ reasons. Hopefully there wasn’t any lying or foul play by White or another school.

Yeah, he’s obviously looking for a higher-profile school, but I’m not necessarily sure that will somehow make him a better NBA prospect.

Me neither, but a couple of articles have hinted that the Whites think winning is important to NBA evaluators.

And the article that you posted said that he was criticized for basically every facet of his game, outside of shooting. So maybe he thinks there is a coach out there who can help him improve his game, with his last year of eligibility.

There isn’t a single high major program that he would go to right now where he would be “the guy” and they would win.

He’s a solid player and was “the guy” on a third tier Big Ten team. He didn’t see the floor on a top ten Big 12 team. He and his family just aren’t realistic in their thinking.

If he played for Michigan next year, he would be the most talented player on the roster, IMO. And we would be a serious contender if everyone stayed healthy.

1 Like

I saw something yesterday that said White was faced with questions such as “If you’re so good, why didn’t your team win?” during the pre-draft process. Maybe not true, but if that’s the kind of feedback he got, it makes sense to seek a better team. Either way, I can’t blame a kid for taking advantage of the system (where there are few rules that benefit student athletes) and going to play for a team where he can win AND display his talents. Obviously it was a tough decision for him considering how long it took.

Why do you say that? White is a very good shooter and a pretty good rebounder, but in the games I saw (and in the opinion of NBA scouts), he’s a minus defender who doesn’t create either for himself or teammates. Remember when we used to laugh about Zak Irvin’s 13 assists in 568 minutes as a freshman reserve before he learned to pass the ball? Well, Irvin looked like John Stockton that year compared to White, who had 20 assists last year in 1,010 minutes as a fourth year junior. 20 assists. For the season. For the guy who played the most minutes on his team.

To me, White is another shooter without other aspects to his game. I don’t think he’s as good, as talented, or as versatile as Irvin or Walton. A pretty good player, yes, and if there was no baggage, I’d want him a lot, but he’s not special in anything other than shooting from 3, and based upon the article Dylan linked, there is some definite baggage there.

1 Like

White averaged 16 and 6 per game last year on 48% overall shooting from the floor and 41% from three. In comparison, Irvin scored 11 a game last year on 40% from the field and 29% from three. Walton scored 11 per game and shot 37% from the field and 38% from three. The biggest problem with our team last year in my opinion was the inefficient and inconsistent scoring from our top two players. White is a great shooter but more importantly he is a high usage, high efficiency scorer.

Agreed there is definite baggage there, and he is not as versatile as Walton or Irvin have shown. But he would instantly be the most talented natural scorer on the team, something we were sorely lacking once Caris went down last year

On paper, I’d be all for White. Guy can fill it up and would pencil into a position of need. He’s not a creator for others, but he can rebound pretty well.

The question here is really everything else a) the situation b) the fit… etc.

If Michigan were interested and he took the bait what would be his first reaction after blowing a couple of defensive assignments and JB planted his but on the bench (see Aubrey Dawkins). Has some skills but do we need another non defender on the team.

Why even debate this? The kid+family = high maintenance, in-conference, from a respectable peer. JB doesn’t even think twice before passing.

2 Likes

You are probably right.

Lol, as if Beilein benches someone everytime they miss a defensive assignment. White would play 30+ minutes on our team and it’s ridiculous that people are trying to downplay him because there’s a zero percent chance he comes here.

3 Likes