Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

You track individual defense with your eyes, whether that be live action or in the film room.

It’s a very difficult subject to discuss with a good portion of our fan base because you can’t define it with numbers the same way you can offense. (Though some will try)

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying but it has to at least help to put a value(number) on things. We have seen the D the past 3 years and nothing they have done has seemed to work. Maybe it’s time to put a value on things instead of just looking with your eyes because that hasn’t worked to date.

So the answer is a metric which says Andrew Dakich is the third-best defender on the team.

I’m all for metrics and all for changing things with the defense. This is just a bad metric which you’ve used in two threads today to draw conclusions that most people would disagree with.

4 Likes

Given this roster, Zak at the 2 for 10-15 minutes (to spell MAAR) makes a lot of sense to me. Zak could play another 10-15 at the 3 with Duncan. Walton and X at the point, Chatman and Wilson at the 4 (with a little Zak thrown in at times). You have to make due with the roster that you have.

The eyes work just fine. We have a coaching staff that chooses to ignore that side of the ball. They see the same things we see. They choose to focus on offense to counter it.

Well if Dakich ended up playing 300-400 minutes then sure. Obviously the metric has merit for individuals playing a lot of minutes. The same metric said Walton was their best defender I am sure most here would agree with that. So does this still make it a bad metric? I want to use my eyes and then see what the numbers tell me. To totally ignore a certain metric because it doesn’t fit your viewing seems short sighted and not using all the resources at your disposal.

In 2014 it says Stauskas was their most effective offensive player and one of their worst defensive players. Seems like that would be the consensus amongst most of the fans but it’s a bad metric? If this is the case we should just ignore all stats like this. Do you disagree with that assessment of Stauskas?

No I’m saying it’s a bad metric because of how it is computed. Offensive rating, which you are also citing, is a much more valuable metric because there are things in the box score which much more accurately reflected in the box score (points, assists).

Just like FG% or rebounding are bad metrics because they don’t properly measure the question at hand. In that case we have better metrics available (eFG% and offensive rebounding percentage), unfortunately for defense we don’t.

FWIW … This is how DRtg is calculated. Basically steals and blocks and then everything else weighted by minutes (note not the actual minutes said player is on the floor).

2 Likes

With all the time you spent typing those inane posts lauding IU and diminishing Michigan, you could have simply looked at what goes into the metric, concluded it was garbage, not posted, and done something useful.

2 Likes

RE: Alec Peters… He’s staying at Valpo.

Have you heard any names thrown about that Michigan is interested in at all? Seems like we’d have at least somewhat of an idea for targets at this point now that the NBA deadline is passed but it’s been quiet so far.

Haven’t heard of any real serious names popping up on the radar. That doesn’t mean there haven’t been, but it has been quiet.

Out of curiosity, has anything emerged about likely destinations for Malik Newman?

I realize he seems like the furthest thing from a U-M prospect (although I think this is based on assumptions about his character and situation which may or may not be substantiated). That said, he’s a hugely talented guard who is looking to rebuild his broken draft stock… That alone is intriguing. Let’s just hope he doesn’t end up in the Big Ten. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at KU.

No clue about Malik Newman but as you said, the 'one-and-transfer because I thought I should have been a one-and-done" is probably the furthest thing from Michigan’s wish list.

On the surface, although seems like his dad put a lot of pressure on him to go to Miss State, which ended up being a very bad decision (no doubt he would be draft-bound if he had picked UK). Just hoping Crean doesn’t get involved.

The other guy that intrigues me is Charles Matthews from UK. He is a solid, defensive-minded wing. I gather he is somebody who didn’t entertain one-and-done ambitions but would be completely buried in UK’s rotation if he returned (much as he was last year). He was ultimately “not good enough” for Kentucky but would be an excellent fit at most programs. I believe he’s from Chicago.

Is he transferring?

My understanding is that Matthews announced his intention to transfer about a week ago. He was a top-60 guy in his class. No clue where he might go but he should be sought after.

Wasn’t Michigan State one of his finalists? I would think MSU might look at him, they still have room.

Jordan Mathews 6’4 200 pound guard from Cal is transferring and be a 5th year guy. He can shoot it, get to the foul line, and grab boards, went off for 28 against Zona earlier in the year. This guy needs to be a big priority for Michigan, a lot of teams will be after him though.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t really know anything about his situation, but numbers wise he looks like a perfect fit on the wing. Gives Michigan the depth at the two it needs and he’s a career 40+% three-point shooter.

Gonzaga apparently early favorite…