Potential grad transfer additions

Cam Johnson visting michigan next week

7 Likes

Source? Not questioning validity

you also said this on twitter with no source

ā€¦he also was one that broke DJ Wilson visiting/leading for Michigan back in 2013 so maybe he knows something or two.

Cam makes a lot of sense. I also wonder why we wouldnā€™t reach out to Bowen. Not the fit positionally but Iā€™d love to hear what heā€™s thinking.

Bowen isnā€™t thinking anything in regards to UM. Just isnā€™t feeling the program. Whatever, let him go to creighton or DePaul.

3 Likes

i have good sources.

2 Likes

This is good.

i was all so hearing a month ago that watson is leaving. now im not hearing it

1 Like

wellā€¦ alright then lol

The one thing Iā€™m unsure about with Cam Johnson isā€¦does it cost us one of the 2018 3/4s like Iggy or Johns? Is that trade worth it?

Seems like that issue always works itself out.

1 Like

Iā€™d say so. Heā€™s got two years of eligibility, heā€™s a known commodity vs a freshman who might not ever pan out, and you buy two years to find the next guy.

1 Like

And he raises both the floor and the ceiling of the 17/18 team, considerably. Heā€™d help cash-in on the one year we get both Simmons and Mo.

1 Like

I view Cam, Iggy, and Hunter as true 3/4 guys. So I donā€™t think Cam being here would diminish our chances. Heā€™d only be here 1 year while theyā€™re here and those are versatile guys that could play either wing spot.

2 Likes

As long as we use the spot on anyone that can help for the year we have Simmons Iā€™d be happy. Iā€™d rather have Iggy reclassify but Cam would be a great get no doubt. Donā€™t think it would affect Hunter

1 Like

In terms of costing us, I meant it from the standpoint of literally taking a scholarship. It feels like we have good traction among skilled '18s that are a good fit, whereas at this point, itā€™s unclear whether we will get similar traction with similarly talented athletes in the '19 class.

That said, I do take the point that heā€™s a known quantity and will help more in the short term. He also comes with risk around learning a new system and fitting a role that are likely easier with a freshman. Either way, I trust the staff to make the right call.

The way in which itā€™s likely to impact Hunter is if an Iggy or Johns is ready to commit first, and there are finite spots available.

2 Likes

Johnson would also be nice to have because we are likely to lose 4 starters/major contributors, after this season: Simmons, MAAR, Duncan, and Mo. Without Johnson, CM would be our only returning starter in 18/19, and thatā€™s assuming CM comes back (also assuming Livers doesnā€™t start over Duncan, which I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if he did).

1 Like

I see. Definitely could in that sense. It seems odd we havenā€™t really prioritized a post player knowing Wagner will be gone but weā€™ll see how it shakes out. Theyā€™re clearly planning on taking 2 wings though.