Potential grad transfer additions

I know it’s a convenient viewpoint for me to have and doesn’t foster discussion but I don’t put stock into too many of those guys and even less so when it comes to Bamba.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s worth remembering that we found out from the insiders that Bamba was visiting on literally the day (or day before) he was in Ann Arbor. None of the recent reports I’ve read have any info I’m impressed by. But I haven’t read them all. Still, this is from an article a few days ago: “I just feel like it’s a weird one and I think we know less than we think we know,” said Jerry Meyer, 247Sports’ director of basketball scouting.

In the end, I’m sure the coaches have known for a while that it’s, you know, far from a sure thing that Bamba is going to UM and that the decision might not come for a while. Until you hear something definitive, I’m not sure that Simmons – even if you believe he’d start next year – is the kind of talent that would make them deviate from their plan. And isn’t Simmons going through the NBA draft process anyway?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some kind of deal that if he stays in college and Michigan has a spot after Bamba and Mo/DJ make their decisions it’s his. Not that such an agreement exists.
But that’s different, in any event, than giving him the spot right now.

2 Likes

Depends on what he’s telling the Coaching Staff. If he’s telling them — or giving them strong hints — that Michigan is on the outside of his options right now, then coaches should look at other options for the scholarship use. If Bamba’s telling the Staff that Michigan’s got as a good a chance as any other program, then I agree with you — keep the spot open and let the process play out.

I think you will be surprised.

3 Likes

I just assume that Bamba speaks to all schools like he did in that Rivals video. I’m thinking that the only ones that he’s real with are his family members.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate recruiting? :smiley:

2 Likes

If we lose DJ and don’t add Bamba the 4 spot next year will be really interesting. Duncan/Livers/Matthews maybe competing for minutes there? Do we add Cam Johnson AND a guy like Simmons? So many moving parts

1 Like

If this comes to fruition, Simmons and Johnson are absolutely my 2 hopes for taking those spots. I have less optimism for being able to land Johnson, though we’re a better “sell” if he knows that a starting 4 spot is open.

3 Likes

Here’s another possibility in your scenario–Mo Wagner at the 4. I don’t know how ready Davis and/or Teske will be, but then again, I don’t know how ready the others you named will be either (and how Matthews, a 3, would survive at the 4). If D.J. leaves, Mo would want to play some 4, his pro position, and I think he’d get some opportunity depending on who Beilein thinks is the best player. If it’s Livers or it’s Duncan or Matthews playing out of position, or we were to get Johnson, him, that’s great, but if it’s Teske or Davis…

All that said, I hope D.J. is back and we don’t have this kind of uncertainty.

2 Likes

I love Moe at the 4 on offense…but thinking it would take a dramatic improvement in his defense to guard most team’s 4s on the other end. Seems like a lot of rosters are built for the small-ball 4 these days.

1 Like

Surprise is the spice of life. Or is that variety?

If it does happen, I think Simmons would be a good pickup. Hard to ask for more from a grad transfer than a first team MAC guy at a position with no sure fire starter or proven depth. Seems like a good fit for what Michigan likes to do too.

1 Like

After watching a few videos, I’d be all for adding Simmons. I am still about 95% sure Simpson is our guy for the next 3 years. Way too much talent to not be.

1 Like

Added the highlights that we had previously posted on Patreon as well.

2 Likes

Hit on this in the AMA earlier this week (Monthly AMA -- Monday 4/17 - #36)

In this offense, guys are almost always more likely to slide up than down. I think you are trying to get your best five on the floor and Charles Matthews at the four would help you do that a lot more than Wagner at the four with Davis/Teske. Just my 2 cents.

The may 29th date is great as we’ll have NBA entry decisions finalized by then.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Quinn says UM is holding the scholarship for Bamba, at least “at the moment.”

That’s one option off the table. Not that surprising. Figured it would be tough to be a serious player for him. PG is probably the much bigger need unless DJ leaves which would leave a hole at the 4.

Cam Johnson might have been the best player in terms of production, competition level, etc., but I’m not sure he was the most important for Michigan. If you could only get one, it would need to be a PNR guy. Johnson wasn’t that.

Now if DJ Wilson stays in… there are some roster concerns there, but still a long way to go.

3 Likes

You’d have to throw Livers into the fire if DJ goes. I guess I’m optimistic that he could be functional on defense as a freshman.

1 Like