Possible 5th year transfers?

I don’t know if the staff will even look at this avenue but kind of hope they do. Shonn Miller from Cornell has been brought up, not sure if there is any real interest.

Also is there a chance perhaps the staff looks at Juwan Howard Jr.? Any other candidates?

I was hoping they would have done that. Both Byron Wesley or Matt Carlino would have helped Michigan quite a bit.

Not a bad option at all. I am sure all avenues are being explored. You get an experienced player and the scholarship is open again at the end of the year.

Imagine if we got one of these type of guys last year or a transfer that was eligible right away type deal. Would have helped a lot.

Isn’t juwan Howard a redshirt senior this year?

I’d love a 5th year big man. Wouldn’t affect Doyle’s development adversely and we’d have two solid options there. Because right now, I’m in favor of bringing Bielfeldt back over any recruit (aside from Murray off the top of my head, maaaaaybe Cook too). It’d provide a solid bridge to Teske too, because I think, if he continues his physical development that we’ve seen recently, he should be ready to contribute as a freshman - at least on the defensive end.

I'd love a 5th year big man. Wouldn't affect Doyle's development adversely and we'd have two solid options there. Because right now, I'm in favor of bringing Bielfeldt back over any recruit (aside from Murray off the top of my head, maaaaaybe Cook too). It'd provide a solid bridge to Teske too, because I think, if he continues his physical development that we've seen recently, he should be ready to contribute as a freshman - at least on the defensive end.

5th years can be so hit or miss. Anthony Lee was one of the most highly sought after 5th year big men this year and he was very underwhelming at OSU (I know he missed some time due to injury).

I'd love a 5th year big man. Wouldn't affect Doyle's development adversely and we'd have two solid options there. Because right now, I'm in favor of bringing Bielfeldt back over any recruit (aside from Murray off the top of my head, maaaaaybe Cook too). It'd provide a solid bridge to Teske too, because I think, if he continues his physical development that we've seen recently, he should be ready to contribute as a freshman - at least on the defensive end.

5th years can be so hit or miss. Anthony Lee was one of the most highly sought after 5th year big men this year and he was very underwhelming at OSU (I know he missed some time due to injury).

Agreed, and I have no idea what 5th year big men will be available. But I’m not looking for someone that would be a shoo-in starter. Just someone that would be an upgrade from Donnal and Bielfeldt as I think Doyle will take some solid improvements this offseason.

Don’t think Teske will contribute as a freshman. He would certainly be able to block/alter some shots, but in terms of rebounding, his pursuit of the ball is very poor, and he fails to box out…will need to add at least 25-30lbs as well.

I know Bielfeldt is an undersized “big” but I just don’t see Coach Beilein not offering him his 5th year, then turning around and offering a year to someone else that might be a couple inches taller.

Suspect that Teske will add more weight over the next year as well. The good part is that he comes in at a more ideal time (during Doyle/Donnal’s junior years) to not be expected to be an immediate contributor. Which is what you want from your bigs unless they are Greg Oden, Jared Sullinger or Mitch McGary. (Even Mitch was helped along for most of the year.)

I know Bielfeldt is an undersized “big” but I just don’t see Coach Beilein not offering him his 5th year, then turning around and offering a year to someone else that might be a couple inches taller.

I can, especially if the incoming recruit has a diverse skillset (Cook comes to mind)…Cook doesn’t have to score to impact the game, his passing ability is very nice.

I can, especially if the incoming recruit has a diverse skillset (Cook comes to mind)…Cook doesn’t have to score to impact the game, his passing ability is very nice.

Is Cook a 5th year transfer?

Is Cook a 5th year transfer?

Good point. You did specify a 5th year transfer

Very few 5th year transfers are available as of right now. There will be some making that decision soon. Just don’t think he would take someone for just one year unless he can mold them a little more.

On the other side of things, if he was to take someone that would have to graduate in May at the latest. You would want them on campus all summer to get use to the guys and the system. Couldn’t do it with someone who graduates in late July.

Very few 5th year transfers are available as of right now. There will be some making that decision soon. Just don't think he would take someone for just one year unless he can mold them a little more.

On the other side of things, if he was to take someone that would have to graduate in May at the latest. You would want them on campus all summer to get use to the guys and the system. Couldn’t do it with someone who graduates in late July.

It’s the old development/talent debate…don’t think it should be predicated upon JB’s preference, but whether it would benefit the win/loss ratio. In other words, if you can simply roll out talent and get wins…why the heck would you turn it down…just because you can’t ‘mold’ them? Seems ridiculous to me

Don’t think that’s what he’s saying at all. But most 5th year guys are going to be good, solid pieces rather than some sort of dominant force. If you get them on campus in August, there’s only going to be so much time for them to learn what’s going on. If they aren’t ready to be a solid piece by January, was it really worth adding them to the mix?

You would rather take a young guy and give them those reps and build for the future, often times. Just my opinion.

Certainly some validity to what you are saying, but if we were to take a 5th year guy, how much learning do they need to do regardless of when they come? For instance, if Jaylen Brown could suit up for Michigan tomorrow, the team would be much better even if he didn’t know a single play.

Graduate transfers usually aren’t similar in skillset or ability to Jaylen Brown.

They are usually 4 year guys from MMs.

Put it this way… Anthony Lee was projected to be the No. 4 impact transfer this year

He averaged 3 and 2 per game.

Graduate transfers usually aren't similar in skillset or ability to Jaylen Brown.

They are usually 4 year guys from MMs.

I can dream, can’t I?