Open Practice 11-1

We don’t have depth problems at the three and four, we have talent issues at the four.

We have depth issues at the 2.

Yep. It’s just a practice thing to balance everything. I’m guessing that they’d have Wagner play more 4 and increase Teske’s minutes rather than play Lonergan in a serious injury situation. We have 10 scholarships guys who are gonna play this year, Lonergan isn’t gonna play over those guys.

Who knows what will happen but if Lonergan or Dakich are playing meaningful minutes in any non-exhibition game, I will have a hard time calling it anything other than poor roster management. The open scholly, 4 centers, Dawkins/Chatman transfers and the Spike situation could all be blamed but the combination of those 4 things together gives little room for injury.

1 Like

Regarding roster management, Coach Beilein liked Austin Davis enough to offer him, planning the whole time to RS one of Davis or Teske. M basically has 3 5’s this year and will have both Teske and Davis with a year under their belt, which is nice if Wagner doesn’t stick around for a third season.

As for guards they certainly have at least 4 people who can play guard. I think Irvin for sure can play guard, and in a pinch Robinson and Watson would be adequate. I wouldn’t portray the situation as dire, plus it is a one year thing, with Matthews, Poole, and Brooks on the way.

2 Likes

We went most of the recruiting cycle expecting to have Dawkins and chatman probably, bit of a lurch when they left. Most of us will feel better thinking of Matthews in that spot, but there’s no point prepping him to play when he can’t. It’s good that he can get twice as much court time with scout rather than the 2s.

People would be creaming beilein if we took a guy to take a guy. Then we’re not recruiting bamba or livers or someone else in the class of 17

1 Like

You almost got it right.

That’s fine but I am not sure Beilein has the luxury of recruiting guys to redshirt right away. They have an empty chair, 2 frosh bigs, and another transfer who has to sit out this year. Poole and Brooks have nothing to do with the situation this year.

Depends on the role. Izzo almost always has a walk-on he gives playing time to.

Its his 4th yr in the system; he knows the offense and get to where the 2-guard is supposed to be without messing up the flow for the rest of the team on the court.

Plus don’t forget was redshirted last year to preserve eligibility in case he wanted to use his 5th year to transfer somewhere and play (wouldn’t surprise me to see him as a 7th man on a MAC or Horizon league team next year)

1 Like

Not really. Walton can/will play a bunch at the 2. Irvin can log heavy minutes at the 2 if needed. Watson can play the 2 (but the coaches would prefer he focus on the details of the 3 spot first). So really it’s just a lack of practice options for the 2.

1 Like

I keep reading Irvin is going to play the 3-4- now he will play some at the 2. Do we still have this idea that Irvin is capable of playing 35+ mpg? He should probably be closer to 30 mpg than upwards of 35.

1 Like

That’s not what people are saying at all. Some are complaining about our depth at the 2 in case of an injury. People are responding to that by saying Irvin can absolutely play the 2 if needed to add an extra body there.

3 Likes

Correct, @tarverine. . As for Irvin’s minutes, I think you shoot to keep him around 30, but I still expect him to be closer to 35 this year when all is said and done.

Irvin averaged 35mpg in conference play last season. Agreed 30-32 is more ideal, but yes, he is more than capable of playing 35+ mpg for weeks at a time, if needed.

In the back court when everyone is healthy, it sounds like the plan is for MAAR to play around 30-32 mpg, Walton around 30-32 mpg, and Simpson around 17-20 mpg. With Irvin & Robinson playing heavy minutes on the wing, backed up by Wilson and spot minutes from Watson. In times of need (foul trouble, injury), Irvin can slide to the 2-guard and Watson/Wilson can bump up minutes — Irvin/Walton/MAAR have also shown an ability to play 37-38 minutes in a game here/game there situation (not ideal, but again we’re talking about contingency plans).

Why would Moe leave after this year?

He might be able to do that on offense. I am not necessarily sure he has the lateral quickness to cover SGs.

At some point last year, the coaching staff confirmed that Wagner would return. It was never entirely clear to me what that meant. Return to workout for the summer or return to play his sophomore season? I am not sure but I interpreted it as meaning Wagner was giving Michigan a shot for his sophmore year, but that playing in Germany was also an option he was considering…Am I right to assume that Wagner’s commitment (as a 4 year player) is a bit more tenuous than the average player, even putting the potential opportunity to play NBA aside?

1 Like

I don’t know that Wagner has given any indication that he’s not sticking around for the long haul – it would be odd for an attrition-averse coach like Beilein to recruit him if he seriously thought he’d leave. I know some Euro guys choose to go home but many others do stay for 4 years. That said, I would be 100% fine if Wagner turns into a taller Sam Dekker this season and jumps to the league. If that happened, it would probably mean we had a good season – and it might help with Bamba, too.

This Sam Dekker? Please no! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That made my day.