On scholarship offers

It’s not like we’re ignoring talent or highly rated guys though.

Obviously we had all those guys that went to the NBA recently (Burke, Hardaway, Stauskas, Robinson, McGary). But we got Chatman who was a 5* and offered from Arizona. We were hard after Booker and Kennard who ended up pretty good players. We were in Jaylen Brown’s final 4 (meh, ok that’s a stretch). Irvin was Mr Basketball in Indiana.

We were pushing hard for Thorton and Cassius. Tyus Battle committed. We’re looking at Jaren Jackson and Wilkes.

I just think you have to get realistic too. I like the 50-125 range for most of our players. There are a few head scratchers but overall that’s where we’re going to land and those can be some really good players (Burke, Stauskas, Hardaway). 2017 and 2018 look like some good classes to me.

At the end of the day it’s results that matter though. His two best teams were the ones with the best talent. His 3rd best team snuck in and grabbed a share of a B1G title but they were also eliminated in round 1 of the tournament. Some people can get geeked for 2018 recruiting for me those guys aren’t stepping on a court for Michigan in the next 27 months. This year and how they do on the court is more important than any 2018 recruit. The issue is for most schools when they have a lot of success on the court it translates to recruiting it didn’t really transfer well for Michigan and we are looking 2 years down the road now.

Assuming we get a 4 this year, are Easley and Johns redundant next year? Do either of them have the athleticism / skillset to play the 3? I realize that in our offense, the 4 is a wing position. I’m thinking more in terms of guarding opposing 3s.

That’s just beating a dead horse.

There are different threads to talk about this year’s team. Doesn’t really relate to recruiting philosophy at all.

2 Likes

I agree. Too many moving parts to speculate right now.

To narrow the focus, though, if UM gets Livers or Young, I can see the staff being more patient with 2018 offers and letting the process play out longer with Johns. If UM strikes out on Livers or Young — or catches wind through the recruiting grapevine that those two are both unlikely to sign with UM — then I can see the coaches accelerate their recruitment on 2018 options for the bigger wing spot.

Kithier to MSU clears that up a bit 2018 Recruiting Notes

I’m not sure on Easley… Haven’t seen him play in person.

This has been proven to be a misconception. No school in the last 20 years or so, that had a two year Elite Eight or better performance has had a significant increase in recruiting. First of all, it is hard to find another school that had a two year run like Michigan (other than the usual top schools that are already the top recruiting schools).
The fact of the matter is, Michigan fans just expected that we would get a big spike. There is no precedent.

1 Like

You don’t think MSU after making a Final Four in 99 and winning a title in 00 didn’t see an uptick in recruiting? MSU wasn’t bringing in the same type of recruit under the last few years with Heathcote as they did after Izzo had a lot of success.

You don’t think after Sean Miller took Arizona to the elite 8 with Derrick Williams they didn’t get a spike in recruiting with the likes of Aaron Gordon/Stanley Johnson etc… You say this is a proven misconception show me some data to disprove what I just said.

Here’s the other thing for ages under Amaker people complained that he didn’t have the facilities, the arena. Beilein got that and the recruiting classes are still not even consistently top 25. They would have been better off throwing money down a hole.

I like Quinn and what he writes but he pretty much just tried to rationalize why the program isn’t recruiting that well.

I disagree with the assessment that Michigan didn’t get a recruiting bump from the Championship Game - Elite 8 back-to-back run. Prior to that run the majority of Michigan’s recruiting was fringe top-100 guys. Hardaway was outside the top-150 by one service and in the 90s in his highest ranking, Burke was in the 80s/90s national rankings, Novak, Douglass, Morgan, Horford. Darius Morris was considered a huge get at the time and he was ranked in the 70s — similar to Poole’s ranking this year. Smotrycz, in the 70s, was considered a huge recruiting “win.”

Even “the class” wasn’t supposed to be ranked that high — LeVert & Albrecht were fillers, Stauskas in the 80s, GRIII was outside the top50 when he narrowed in on UM and then exploded up the rankings late in the process. McGary was the lone outlier as a stud recruit and he was falling in national rankings his Sr year.

Since the Final 4: Irvin (top30), Walton (top50), Chatman (top30). Even XSimpson was ranked in the 60s — higher than all but what 2 recruits Beilein signed at UM before the Final4 run? TBattle committed and then changed his mind. JBrown had UM in his final group of 3/4. Sounded like UM was the runner up for both DBooker & JBlackmon; those recruits weren’t giving UM a sniff pre-Final4 run. So without a doubt UM/Beilein saw a recruiting bump after the Championship Game & Elite8…many of those more recent “elite recruits” we did ink just haven’t been able to live up to their prep school hype (at least not yet)

5 Likes

When Beilein’s critics are capable of this degree of exaggeration, there’s not much to say to them. Certainly, the post that follows puts to rest the ridiculous assertion that we got no boost from the champsionship run.

Looks like Beilein has accomplished a hell of a lot this spring; looking forward to seeing how it comes together. Whether we’re elite remains to be seen, but from here it looks like the future is plenty solid.

4 Likes

The 2013 class of Walton and Irvin was already in the loop prior to the start of the 2 year run. Brown, Battle and other highly ranked players don’t count if they didn’t actually come to Michigan.

irvin and Walton verballed in summer 2011. They weren’t part of any tourney-run bump; the tourney runs hadn’t happened yet, not even by the time they signed.

Beat me to it

Go to MGoBlog and research diaries for one titled “Is Michigan BB getting their fair share of top recruits.”
There is a lot more data there than what you are offering here.

1 Like

Hahaha, what? How about you take a page from your own book and show data. Giving me a whopping two teams with a gigantic sample size of two players each is your definition of data? As @Champions said, go to that diary on mgoblog. It puts a gaping hole in your argument. Is Michigan BB getting their fair share of top Recruits? | mgoblog

I don’t necessarily buy they got a big bump recruiting wise. The 2014 class wasn’t that great. Walton and Irvin committed before making the Final Four. My post was meant as a response to YostGhosts.

Jalen Rose says landing All-American talent is ‘the next step’ for Michigan basketball

Maybe Jalen should take over for Beilein and see how that goes.

1 Like

Jalen is right. But the programs he mentions that ARE elite are also dirty. Jalen is cool with a degree of dirt; at least many of his comments, over time, suggest that. I’m not sure we can enter that “elite” realm anyway. I may be in the minority, but I like us better as a team that overachieves with coaching and hidden gems.