Oklahoma State (NCAA Tournament First Round)

Blackmon is MUCH easier to guard because he’s shoot first, second, and third. Evans wants to pass first. We won’t be shutting him down just have to hope he doesn’t get hot from 3. We do need to consider that their late season run is not very impressive, to me anyway. Those wins include:
@ Texas Tech
Vs TCU
@ Oklahoma
Vs Texas
@ TCU
Vs Oklahoma
@ Kansas state
Vs Texas Tech

They went on a 10-1? Stretch and that’s 8 of the games. Only Kansas state made the tournament and they are in the play-in game. A winning streak like that is nice but as far as big 12 only teams, it couldn’t carry much less weight with those teams being 8 of the wins.

I think OSU and Michigan are both very good. In an attempt to try to see the silver lining in this matchup I had this thought: Louisville must be irritated that they are going to run into one of us in the second round. It is likely Louisville is expending energy gameplanning for both teams equally. Petino might actually be giving more energy toward OSU given our recent history playing eachother. The thing is, our team is built differently than the last time we crossed paths with Pitino.

Normally I would be worried about Richard giving notes to Rick leading up to the 2nd round matchup, but then I remembered

Richard Pitino

and I felt better.

4 Likes

Just my two cents, but biggest worry I personally have is building a double digit lead and Ok St. coming back using a lot of momentum.

The way Ok St plays, I can see them going through a really cold or hot stretch. I’m a little nervous we build a lead and give them momentum if they come back and get hot from deep like they can do. From what I’ve been reading from everyone, this seems like a game that’s going to have bigger runs on both sides.

That’s been the thorn in this team’s side all year, building and losing leads. Runs always get magnified in the tournament due to all the circumstances, so that’s my biggest fear in how we potentially lose.

EDIT: I know that seems like an “obviously man” above ha, but what I meant to say is you know you’re in a good spot if you build a double digit lead against the Virginia and Wisconsin’s of the world. It doesn’t feel as safe against a team like Ok St.

1 Like

better team than who?

The old man was at our game at Minnesota.

This is coming from the guy who questioned OSU fans’ basketball intelligence.

Just FYI, genius… Michigan is in the top 40 in fewest fouls committed and is second in the Big 10 in that same category. So, Big 10 officials probably wouldn’t be a bad thing for you. In fact, it’s something I’ve been worried about as we’re one of best free throw shooting teams in the nation. We score about 19ppg from the line and if we’re not getting to the line because Michigan is disciplined enough to not commit so many fouls, then that’s a problem for us.

I’m sorry, but what is wrong with my statement? I was responding to OSU fans that think you guys will be fatigued and are riding too high which is just ridiculous, imo. Had OSU ran the table in our conference tourney I can guarantee the majority of our fan base would be ecstatic about the hot streak and not worrying about fatigue with four to five days rest.

In regards to “on paper” statements…
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/145

I think johnmiller picked out your statements as the best one for what it’s worth. But I’m making no comment on the quality of conversation on your board, especially because I’ve never visited it.

As for the fouls, I’m not johnmiller, but you’re right, Michigan doesn’t foul very often, which is why we were upset in a couple road games (Minny in particular and also Wiscy) where we got called for a ton of questionable fouls, especially late in the game. Hence, the no B10 refs comment.

3 Likes

Your remark concerning fouls is lacking in context. JM for sure knows our foul propensity, but you didn’t see the game at Minnesota where 28 personal fouls were called on Michigan, twice our average. They went to the line 41 times and we lost in overtime. That’s what his referee comment was about.

2 Likes

I never want to see B1G refs in the tournament. Ever.

For our non-conference newcomers, here’s my take on the officiating in a typical B1G game (although there are outlier games, of course):

• First Half: Anything goes

• Second Half: Touch Fouls galore in the first 10 minutes, consult the magic 8 ball until two minutes left in the game. No blood, no foul the rest of the way.

• NOTE: Several times in the game a weird call will go the home team’s way. If TV Teddy Valentine is involved, rolling a 5 or higher on your 20-sided die will activate full Enrico Palazzo mode (google it, kids).

Hope this helps. Welcome to the board. For the most part, we’re a friendly bunch.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured his two examples must not have been the norm. Anyway… you guys are sitting pretty on the year in fouls. We’re undersized and lack the athletes to run the type of defense Underwood would like to run. I’d trade refs immediately with you.

Thanks. Our refs are wildly inconsistent and tend to play favorites (i.e Kansas). They’ll get a wild hair everyone once in a while and let the players play, but the next half will be a different story, similar to want you described.

I think Big 10 and Big 12 used to share Ed Hightower, right? I think I recall flipping on some Big 10 games back in the day and seeing ole Ed take over and make the game all about him.

2 Likes

Welcome to our site. I’m well aware of our current teams foul situation. Take away @minnesota and @wisconsin, our foul total probably drops by 1 foul per game. All that aside, my opinion of your program and the run you guys were on before losing straight is this. Seven of those games were against teams not in the tournament and the 8th is in the play-in game. I clearly see why you guys lost the first six games of conference because you played good teams during that stretch. Went to your board looking for talk about how you were playing recently and why the “under rated” phrase was being thrown around. After looking, I found no reason. 3-10 vs top 50rpi and as I stated previously, the 10-1? Run was mainly non-tournament teams. Haven’t beat a top 50 team since February 4th. Again, welcome to the board and I hope you stick around.

Fair enough. I guess I couldn’t tell which way he was going with that post. My apologies.

Unfortunately for us, some of the games in the 0-6 streak were losses by only a few points. We sure could’ve used a few Ws in there. The Texas loss was embarrassing and losing to KSU and ISU at home, even though both are tourney teams, is bad. You’ve got to protect home court in any league. Losing at Baylor and KU during the streak were both on the road and well fought games. You can live with those, but you’ve got to be able to win at home.

Thanks for having me.

1 Like

Home court is rather important as we all know. The thing is, we didn’t just get hot during our tournament. We’ve been playing great for two months. It just became national due to our crash and winning four in four days. I think you guys can win the game but I’d give us a pretty big advantage due to Walton = Evans and our big guys SEEM to be better than yours, on paper anyway. Our SF(Irvin) has become a great defender and from what I know, your SF is your second best player. We both have great offenses and I think this is a pretty good matchup for us. Excited to see how it plays out Friday.

OSU is better than Indiana

1 Like

If you’re willing to answer a couple questions, here’s one: I know you guys like to run, and if that doesn’t work give the ball to Evans. Are there other go-to plays/actions? Forte off screens maybe? Anything else?

And on D, I know you’ve back off the press, but is going for steals still a big emphasis? Any other relevant changes?

Welcome! Always great to have posters from other fanbases, really broadens the group perspective.

I also have questions, if you dont mind: the general consensus (and it was backed up on the Michigan Insider podcast, a pretty well-respected source of info and opinions) is that Big Ten basketball plays a tough, defense-minded brand of basketball (like in football), and the Big 12 likes to run-and-gun and outscore each other (like Big 12 football). What’s your opinion on the Big 12s philosophy and aptitude for defense?