Next Years Team

I guess this thread can go back to expectations. In order to finish at the top of the standings you really do need a B1G player of the year type guy.

This year Valentine might win it but he also missed 4 games, Ferrell should get heavy consideration considering they won the B1G. Last year Wisconsin won the conference with POY Kaminsky. In 2014 it was Michigan with Stauskas, 2013 had Michigan within one game and Trey Burke. 2012 it was Draymond Green and they got a share of the title, 2011 it was JuJuan Johnson they were 14-4 in the conference finished 2nd, the year before in 2010 it was Evan Turner and OSU won the conference. In 2009 it was Kalin Lucas and MSU won the B1G. Does Michigan currently on their roster have a player of the year type of guy it doesnā€™t really look like it. So the team could be better next year not close to a contender most likely.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point, there is hardly ever a B1G champ that doesnt have an all-conference player. I donā€™t really think, unfortunately, that B1G champ is anyoneā€™s expectations for next year. The team will have to play better (this year or next year) to earn that kind of optimism.

For the sake of dreaming, though, I still think Zak and Dwalt are our best hope at all-conference player. If either can become a consistent 3pt shooter and average a per-game statline of ~17pts, ~4 assist, ~4 rebounds should put them in the neighborhood. Thatā€™s close to what Caris was averaging and what Nik averaged during his MVP campaign. And Walton could really turn some heads by making it more like 17pt, 4 asst, 6 rebounds because heā€™s a 6ft point guard.

Offensive creator = Abdul-Rachman
Defensive stopper = Wilson

Spartan fan here leaving an opinion on what next year looks like in the Big Ten.

First off, Michigan should be in the thick of the conference race due to who everyone else is losing. Having 2 seniors injured on the bench has really given some guys like MAAR and Dawkins more important game minutes. While it stinks for this year, it will be key for the team next year. I decided to go off what JBlair52 said earlier about who is playing next season for the top teams (not looking at Illinois/Minnesota/Rutgers/NW/Nebraska since they arenā€™t competing for championships any time soon, and Iowa, who literally loses everything but Jok)

Favorites

MSU - lose Valentine/Forbes/Costello, gain 4-5 elite recruits, all top 40 guys. The 5th may be Josh Jackson who would give Izzo 3 5 star guys to use next season. I am in the opinion that Davis comes back for 1 more year before he tests the NBA waters. If Davis returns, he will team with a bunch of experienced guys, led by Harris, and superstar freshmen. Key will be if Izzo can get all the new big personalities to gel.

Wisconsin - They have essentially the exact same team coming back, the only way this changes is if Nigel Hayes enters the NBA draft, which at this point hes looking at rd 2 probably. Happ and Koenig will win this team a lot of games. As of right now, the have 0 new guys coming into the program but i bet there is a guy on the bench somewhere reshirting that comes out of nowhere.

Contenders

Maryland - They lose Layman and Suliamon for sure, and most think Stone and Melo will enter the draft early. The also lose Ram, who while playing little minutes, has come up with some timely defense that has won them a game or two. Bringing in 2 top 100 guards cant mitigate the loses this team takes. Included them in contenders because they likely lose Melo and Stone, but if they keep 1 or both, they jump to being one of the favorites.

Michigan - No one that contributed in the Big Ten season leaves a team that won double digit games headed into the contest with Iowa. While I donā€™t think they beat Iowa or make the NCAA tournament (could easily be wrong with Iowa falling apart), they will have gained valuable experience and bringing in a PG like X will help in case of the expected Walton ankle injury next year. Not sure any of the other freshman make an impact. You have to think that Irvin makes an improvement in his game if he can stay healthy, and if Robinson can learn to put the ball on the floor effectively, this team can make some noise. Have to think Dawkins and MAAR become more consistent with another year in the system, those guys have talent thought.

Ohio St - Simply because Tate is back, along with everyone else. They bring in a couple of decent freshmen. They need to find a true PG, as Lyle seems to be a pure scorer and has trouble distributing the basketball

Purdue - They lose Davis and Hammons but return the rest of the guys on a solid team. Haas and Swanigan should improve and will be able to play together more efficiently. They bring in a top 100 shooting guard but still need a guy who can dribble the basketball

Small Chance to make noise

Indiana - They bring in a couple guards ranked in the 50s but losing Ferrell is huge. You are talking about an all time great at Indiana and the guy that everything goes through. If not for Valentine, this guy would be a lock for PotY in the Big Ten. Losing Biefeldt (wouldnt he have been nice in AA this year) and Ziesloft will sting as well. I think the Thomas Bryant is a lock to go pro as well. That leaves Troy Williams, who is an athlete but not a basketball player, JB Jr, who is a black hole offensively, and a couple guys (OG, and Robert Johnson) who are solid players.

Penn St - They bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the program, and the 3rd best in the Big Ten. The kids basically all play at the same high school in Philly and i think we all know how that can translate to the college game (see Valentine/Forbes). Losing Taylor hurts, and the lose a couple other big men in Jack and Dickerson but those guys are very good. If the freshmen click, watch out. Penn St beat Iowa and Indiana this year. Iā€™d be surprised if they donā€™t beat a couple teams ahead of them on this list next year.

2 Likes

Itā€™s unfortunately another down year in the B1G next year. I love when the conference is the best in the nation

Appreciate the balanced perspective. The one flaw Iā€™d say in most of the ā€œstep upā€ expectations in existing players is that players like Dawkins and Doyle, who had ample time/opportunity last year, have actually taken steps backward. That evidence supports this not being anything near a safe conclusion. Maar and Donnal did move forward, that supports that its possible to continue that trajectory and hopefully include Kam/Dawkins/others and others in it.

Even if all the other guys follow the Donnal/Maar plan though, the team still needs someone/multiple players who will put the team on their back, lead, motivate, and will victories or at least an emotional response, and our lack of consistency and focus at times this year is symptomatic of what I feel is a lack of this discipline more broadly, even if 2-3 players make a moderate leap. 28-0 runs should never happen, and returning everyone from a team who didnā€™t step up to knock someone on their butt, or take it upon themselves to reclaim a bit of dignity is concerning. That isnt something JB needs to develop in you, its something you have or you donā€™t. Iā€™m worried we donā€™t have enough personalities with that instinct, but I hope X is one, and maybe Zak/Derrick can suddenly find it.

Didnā€™t realize Penn St had a nice class coming inā€¦looks like they raided RCHS in Philly. Good move.

I disagree that Doyle and Dawkinā€™s took a step backward. They may not have grown any, but they didnā€™t go in reverse.

I believe they went backwards. Dawkins hasnā€™t had nearly the same amount of looks or offensive responsibilities as last yeAr and that one has set him back. He also isnā€™t doing anything to make himself get involved offensively to make up for it do is say itā€™s a step back. Lots of us/ I included thought he was going to step up into a major offensive role and help this team big time in the scoring department.

Doyle I feel like is obvious step back. There was alot of hope for him to develop into a nice big man and instead he canā€™t even catch a ball. Itā€™s bouncing off his face and off his feet out of bounds . Iā€™d say that is a major step back, to have to hold your breAth whenever heā€™s dropped s pass for a gimme. Thatā€™s just me

Wrong thread. Sorry.