Moritz Wagner vs. Mark Donnal minutes distribution

You forgot Bamba.

I think Wagner would have more difficulty guarding an average 4 than Wilson would have guarding a good 3.

The thought of having the very mobile Teske, Bamba, and Wilson on the floor defending at the same time is an exciting thought for me.

When the lead guard was Burke the role Stauskas played was very different from his sophomore year.

Glad we didnā€™t cut Donnal before the season.

Donnal: 5-5 FG (2-2 3P), 12 pts, 2 reb, 1 stl, 0 fouls
Wagner: 3-4 FG (2-3 3P), 11 pts, 2 reb, 4 fouls

Cut him and Duncan thoughā€¦

Why would we have cut Donnal?

Confused about the whole Moving DJ to the 3 discussion. He already plays a wing position in Beileinā€™s offense. On offense, the 3 and 4 are interchangeable. They just set up on different sides of the court.

By moving DJ to the 3, you areā€“whatā€“moving Mo to the 4? I think he could do that on D (although if you think he has out-of-position fouls now, wait until smaller players really make him moveā€¦) but the 4 and 5 positions are not interchangeable in Beileinā€™s offense.

Itā€™s not like other offenses where the 4 and 5 are just playing on opposite sides of the lane or different parts of a high/lo concept. It would take a huge time commitment to change a player on this team from a 5 to a 4. They started with DJ midway through last year and the teachings continue.

For the most part in this offense the position you play has more to do with who you defend than what you do on offense, because we all know the 3 and 4 are essentially the same in the offensive zone. They for the most part sit in the corner and waitā€¦ That is why I feel that DJ could easily move to the 3 spot as he is probably the most athletic big on the team.

Who would more easily move to the 3? He or Moe? He or Donnal?

And to my greater point maybe just maybe we should test drive 3 bigs and playing a 2/3 zone of some sort because we certainly do not have the ability to stay in front of anyone out at the top of the key. This may also allow for both Irvin and Walton to get a few minutes to rest.

If I recall, DJ was checking Lonzo Ball quite a bit last game. Was he matched up on him or was that always on switches?

Regardless, I donā€™t think Wilson got torched going up against a lottery pick point guard so Iā€™m seeing credence in Beileinā€™s statement that DJ can guard every position.

He certainly got torched by TJ Leaf :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, some of those post ups were hilariously one sided.

DJ hasnā€™t had that much experience in the block defensivelyā€¦ he definitely needs to get better. Heā€™s a face to the basket 4 in this systemā€¦he will need to be coached up.

Is his ability to guard the 4 in question?

1 Like

Meh. Being abused by T.J. Leaf in the post isnā€™t unique to D.J. Wilson. Thankfully not every team has a T.J. Leaf.

2 Likes

haha, DJ can guard every position except for the 4. At least that is what I heard.

I thought DJ did a very admirable job with Ball who plays like a man amongst boys.

Leaf just seemed unstoppable but that is how basketball works. Elite offensive players can make even elite defenders look sillyā€¦

I know people are making a lot of his 2 fouls against Ball but only one was a foul. In general I have been very impressed with DJā€™s ability to contest shots somewhat aggressively and to avoid contact. He is going to adjust as he gains more experienceā€¦

2 Likes