Moritz Wagner Likely to Play in College, Reportedly Considering (Favoring?) Michigan

Would we rather have 1 year of LeVert or 1 to 2 years of Murray?

I’ll say this - during his (and my) junior year, Jalen Rose finished the year playing some bad basketball, including a pretty brutal tourney performance in a loss against Arkansas. When he left, I remember thinking, “no big deal, that just gives us a scholarship for Jerod Ward, who is the #1 recruit in the country.”

So, I’ll one year of the bird-in-hand with Caris. That said, I’d be happy to have them both next year.

I'll say this - during his (and my) junior year, Jalen Rose finished the year playing some bad basketball, including a pretty brutal tourney performance in a loss against Arkansas. When he left, I remember thinking, "no big deal, that just gives us a scholarship for Jerod Ward, who is the #1 recruit in the country."

So, I’ll one year of the bird-in-hand with Caris. That said, I’d be happy to have them both next year.

You mean the year Jalen averaged 20pts, 6 rbs, and 4 asts, on 46%fg (36% 3pt) and was a consensus 2nd team All-American? He did miss that 3 to tie against Arkansas, which I’ll never forgive him for, and I recall him having a pretty bad game and a mediocre tournament.

And I’m not criticizing the college you! It’s just that easy to fail to appreciate what you have sometimes. I remember being pretty confident that the original Fresh Five were going to pick up where the Fab Five left off.

But now, I wouldn’t have to think twice about 1 year from Caris versus 2 years from Murray.

So, exactly what type of player is Wagner? Rivals.com spoke with an NBA scout over the weekend and the scout said Moritz isn't likely as tall as the 6-foot-10 he's being listed at, but he is plenty big to play as a college four man. The scout said Wagner has good touch, is clever with the ball and that he competes on both ends of the floor.

“He’s not a guy that is on our radar as somebody who is going to be a pro right away,” said the scout. “He’s somebody that we see going to college and then we’ll see from there. I’d look at him as a top-20 to top-40 type recruit if he were in the States.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1744768

TIFWIW

Just don’t agree with that assessment (doesn’t surprise me coming from Rivals)…trying to compare Wagner to a target that plays a similar position/style - can anyone say that Wanger is anywhere near as skilled as Seth Towns (Rivals #124 recruit)? Towns handle is exponentially better, Towns shoots the ball better both off catch and shoot and off the bounce. Wagner is better vertically, but he’s not a great athlete by any stretch. Wagner is a decent player no doubt, but top 20-40 in the country…give me a break.

Just don't agree with that assessment (doesn't surprise me coming from Rivals)........trying to compare Wagner to a target that plays a similar position/style - can anyone say that Wanger is anywhere near as skilled as Seth Towns (Rivals #124 recruit)? Towns handle is exponentially better, Towns shoots the ball better both off catch and shoot and off the bounce. Wagner is better vertically, but he's not a great athlete by any stretch. Wagner is a decent player no doubt, but top 20-40 in the country.................give me a break.

Well it wasn’t Rivals, it was an NBA scout. So no reason to bash them for reporting an opinion from what should be a credible source. Doesn’t make him right.

Moreover, he looks to have about 3 inches on Towns. What if he’s Kyle Wiltjer? That’s a top 20-40 player easily. Or Sam Dekker?

My apologies guys - just re-read the report, and it seems that the scout was referring to Wagner in terms of the NBA draft, which is even more mind boggling, but a mistake on my behalf nonetheless.

It says top-20, top-40 recruit… That’s not talking about the draft. They are talking about him as if he’s not a guy on the draft radar right now, but potentially in the future.

Interesting you compare him to Towns because I’m worried he would take Towns’ spot. If we take Wagner in 2015, without further attrition we would only have 1 (maybe 2 if Hatch medicals) open spots in 2016. This leaves room for a PG (must get one), and a 2 guard (will only have MAAR at the 2).

Interesting you compare him to Towns because I'm worried he would take Towns' spot. If we take Wagner in 2015, without further attrition we would only have 1 (maybe 2 if Hatch medicals) open spots in 2016. This leaves room for a PG (must get one), and a 2 guard (will only have MAAR at the 2).

Dawkins could play 2, but I expect that we get a wing in '16.

If Caris comes back, he plays 2. Irvin could also play 2.

In 2016 Caris will have graduated. If Caris leaves this year, we have to either get another 2 guard in the 2015 class or I suppose Zak could move to the 2. JB usually likes a stronger ballhandler at the 2. This would leave us weaker at the 4 though unless Kam takes some serious steps or DJ Wilson is a surprise there. I kind of doubt Dawkins or Robinson can play the 4 for stretches like Zak has.

Great game by Moritz Wagner ('97,6'8") with 20pt&9rb&2ast in Alba Berlin won over Bonn (80/66) @dieNBBL playoff pic.twitter.com/BGR19f2NXi

— NBGENERATION (@nb_generation) March 16, 2015

Great game by Moritz Wagner ('97,6'8") with 20pt&9rb&2ast in Alba Berlin won over Bonn (80/66) @dieNBBL playoff pic.twitter.com/BGR19f2NXi

— NBGENERATION (@nb_generation) March 16, 2015

I take it he will probably make a decision once his playoffs are over?

If Caris comes back, he plays 2. Irvin could also play 2.

In 2016 Caris will have graduated. If Caris leaves this year, we have to either get another 2 guard in the 2015 class or I suppose Zak could move to the 2. JB usually likes a stronger ballhandler at the 2. This would leave us weaker at the 4 though unless Kam takes some serious steps or DJ Wilson is a surprise there. I kind of doubt Dawkins or Robinson can play the 4 for stretches like Zak has.

What makes you think that Robinson could not play the stretch 4 for long periods? He was the star of his college team which I am sure means he played a lot of minutes and probably had the ball in his hands a lot along the way.

Wagner just committed to Michigan http://www.umhoops.com/2015/04/05/moritz-wagner-commits-to-micihgan/

What a good signing. Should help at the four. He will likely take the scholarship spot Max had. They only available scholarship now would be if Austin Hatch goes on medical scholarship.

Searched Wagner’s name…this thread is quite entertaining. Credit to JB for bringing Mo in. His first half was absolutely dominant offensively.

Side note: Levi Cook averaged 2 points and 2 rebounds per game for a 9-20 DePaul squad this year.

2 Likes

Gonna crack open a Boston Lager and read this

4 Likes

Just read through a lot of the beginning. The hot takes from… certain posters… about how Wagner was a “catch and shoot wing” who would “never take anyone off the dribble” are hilarious. Taking him and also taking Duncan Robinson over Coleman are prime examples of why it’s dumb to judge commitments so harshly before they even get on campus.

2 Likes