Moritz Wagner Likely to Play in College, Reportedly Considering (Favoring?) Michigan

Is there any chance Chatman gets moved from the 4 spot to a different position?

Really doesn’t matter in this offense. The 3 and 4 both stand in a corner for the most part. Unless they are willing to let Kam play the 2 (which is highly doubtful considering his shooting), Kam simply isn’t a good fit with this team at this point. He is a much better player with the ball than off ball, can he accept that role for another year is the question? We should be putting Kam in the pinch post to create but I’m not expecting that to happen. That was a big part of my post earlier - if you can’t shoot , your utility in our offense is extremely limited. I think that needs to change

I’m with Matt on this one. I just don’t see Moritz as a fit unless they believe Chatman or Donnal aren’t coming back.

Let Kam man the point ala Caris LeVert. That’s his natural position.

Really doesn’t matter in this offense. The 3 and 4 both stand in a corner for the most part. Unless they are willing to let Kam play the 2 (which is highly doubtful considering his shooting), Kam simply isn’t a good fit with this team at this point. He is a much better player with the ball than off ball, can he accept that role for another year is the question? We should be putting Kam in the pinch post to create but I’m not expecting that to happen. That was a big part of my post earlier - if you can’t shoot , your utility in our offense is extremely limited. I think that needs to change

So is he going to be a Blake McLimans or an Aaron White?

Could be a waste of a scholarship or could be a very nice piece, and I don’t think any of us can really tell based on the limited film on him.

I think Chatman transfers. Goes back home to a smaller DI school where he can contribute. There, I said it. Bring the heat.

I think Chatman transfers. Goes back home to a smaller DI school where he can contribute. There, I said it. Bring the heat.

I think he can contribute greatly here next year once his body matures. What I see in Kam is him making the right decisions, but a second too late.

I’d rather have Cook at this point…seems like we are spotting teams 10-15 pts a game at the 5 spot. Wagner looks like a solid player but with Chatman, Wilson and Robinson all at the 4, roster spots are at a premium. Maybe JB knows about some potential attrition that we don’t.

#hottake

I think he can contribute greatly here next year once his body matures. What I see in Kam is him making the right decisions, but a second too late.

Don’t agree with this at all. He makes the right decision, just does it too lazy/soft. That is a mindset/habit rather than late reaction. He simply can’t shoot so im not going to address that. What I’m talking about is the finishing. He often beats the initial defender or is in good position to just catch and finish on the baseline…and when he goes up, he doesn’t utilize his full jumping ability or maintain a strong core when contact is inevitable. He goes up with a half ass layup that’s off balance and doesn’t draw a foul. Even in transition, he jogs down the court and attempts slow motion layups. Players over 6’6 should attempt to dunk literally every finish. Chatman is just a lazy finisher in my opinion.

So is he going to be a Blake McLimans or an Aaron White?

Could be a waste of a scholarship or could be a very nice piece, and I don’t think any of us can really tell based on the limited film on him.

I actually think Wagner has the potential to be a really nice supplemental piece, just too much overlap with catch and shoot players. The fact that he only shot 30% from 3 against that level of competition is a bit concerning though. I do see a kid with some nice length, decent fluidity, average speed, etc. Just lacks ball handling, and this team desperately needs ball handling and speed.

Don’t agree with this at all. He makes the right decision, just does it too lazy/soft. That is a mindset/habit rather than late reaction. He simply can’t shoot so im not going to address that. What I’m talking about is the finishing. He often beats the initial defender or is in good position to just catch and finish on the baseline…and when he goes up, he doesn’t utilize his full jumping ability or maintain a strong core when contact is inevitable. He goes up with a half ass layup that’s off balance and doesn’t draw a foul. Even in transition, he jogs down the court and attempts slow motion layups. Players over 6’6 should attempt to dunk literally every finish. Chatman is just a lazy finisher in my opinion.

I think that’s more due to confidence than laziness. In his high school highlights, you can tell that he was almost always the tallest or second tallest guy on the court. He’s not used to being contested inside. He’s already been more aggressive recently. I think a year form now we’ll be talking about Chatman alot differently than we are now. To say he should literally try to dunk every time inside is silly. Especially considering he’s not an elite athlete. Doesn’t mean he can’t or shouldn’t be aggressive.

I’m going to bring up something old just to get everybody’s retrospective take…and to kind of put in perspective how much the momentum has changed. Roughly 6-9 months ago I was telling everybody how talented Corey Sanders was and that we should give him a hard look…to which a good majority of people responded they weren’t impressed with him. Fast forward to now, and there is a decent portion of posters that are enticed by Mo Wagner. That being said, can anybody compare the film on these two (even despite the position differences), and tell me that they are even in the same stratosphere…yet some were quick to dismiss Sanders and now Wagner is the welcome addition? All I can say is wow…how times have changed.

I’d kill to have Corey Sanders coming in…that is EXACTLY what this team needs.

Well, if he can be an Aaron White type player then I don’t think we should pass. This team is already down a scholarship spot because of Hatch and we saw how a couple injuries can obliterate depth.

The best thing about Chatman coming in was his versatility. If Wagner commits, I think that means one of two things:

1. The staff is confident in LeVert returning.
  2. The staff is confident that an offseason regime can get Chatman to the level he needs to be to play the 2.

Chatman at the 2 is laughable. We already know Wagner is committing…those are just the type of guys that are attracted to UM. If Levert leaves (highly likely), this roster is extremely redundant and has an extreme lack of ballhandling and speed. We NEED a an upper tier shot creator…if we take a project type backcourt player that takes 2-4 years to develop I’ll be disappointed to say the least

I'm going to bring up something old just to get everybody's retrospective take.......and to kind of put in perspective how much the momentum has changed. Roughly 6-9 months ago I was telling everybody how talented Corey Sanders was and that we should give him a hard look...........to which a good majority of people responded that weren't impressed with him. Fast forward to now, and there is a decent portion of posters that are enticed by Mo Wagner. That being said, can anybody compare the film on these two (even despite the position differences), and tell me that they are even in the same stratosphere.................yet some were quick to dismiss Sanders and now Wagner is the welcome addition? All I can say is wow...............how times have changed.

Come on, Mrs. Sanders. Your son is not EXACTLY (all caps for emphasis!) what this team needs. This team needs an athletic combo guard and an athletic and aggressive 5 for next season. I don’t think another 6’ point guard is a need for the '15 class.

I don’t see anyone saying that Wagner is exactly what we need. People in this thread are saying he is an intriguing prospect. Sanders is an intriguing prospect, as well. He’s an explosive athlete and I’m sure he’ll have a good career at Rutgers.

I'm going to bring up something old just to get everybody's retrospective take.......and to kind of put in perspective how much the momentum has changed. Roughly 6-9 months ago I was telling everybody how talented Corey Sanders was and that we should give him a hard look...........to which a good majority of people responded that weren't impressed with him. Fast forward to now, and there is a decent portion of posters that are enticed by Mo Wagner. That being said, can anybody compare the film on these two (even despite the position differences), and tell me that they are even in the same stratosphere.................yet some were quick to dismiss Sanders and now Wagner is the welcome addition? All I can say is wow...............how times have changed.

Come on, Mrs. Sanders. Your son is not EXACTLY (all caps for emphasis!) what this team needs. This team needs an athletic combo guard and an athletic and aggressive 5 for next season. I don’t think another 6’ point guard is a need for the '15 class.

I don’t see anyone saying that Wagner is exactly what we need. People in this thread are saying he is an intriguing prospect. Sanders is an intriguing prospect, as well. He’s an explosive athlete and I’m sure he’ll have a good career at Rutgers.

If Corey Sanders isn’t a combo guard, then I must have missed the class that provided the definition for that type of player. Combo guard - a guard that isn’t a point guard, isn’t necessarily a shooting guard, but a guard that has the ability to do both while creating his own shot…yeah, basically Corey Sanders.

Then you go on to say we need an athletic combo guard…Corey Sanders is probably the most athletic combo guard in the country, and a really good 2 way player from all reports.

Like I said, that is exactly what we need…somebody that can create their own shot, provides perimeter speed and defense.

Lets not start this into an off-topic argument about Corey Sanders in a discussion about Moe Wagner. Kid was never going to be a fit at U-M for various reasons – and never even sent them his transcripts or made a visit. I think Michigan needs a PG (and yes he is a guy that needs to dominate the ball) much better than him in 2016.

The potential I see in Wagner is something maybe like a Jarrod Uthoff type. Tall, not real athletic, decent face up game. Could be a useful player. In terms of late additions, seems like a decent fit.

Also there may or may not be attrition and it’s silly to hypothesize, but Beilein flew across the world to watch him play in November – so this isn’t all driven by attrition.

I for one hope chatman doesn’t leave. I think he is going to come back and contribute next year. Also when walton is healthy we have two nice ball handlers next year/maybe levert?

By the time Spike leaves I actually think we will see MAAR being a much improved player who can handle the rock too. I mean stauskas didn’t exactly look like a huge play maker his freshman year and he blossomed into a nice ball handler/passer who ate all day on pick and rolls.

I’m still very hopeful for the next two seasons. To me just how good we are depends on if Doyle can become a consistent finisher, I’m less worried about our ball handlers at this point than the five.

Lets not start this into an off-topic argument about Corey Sanders in a discussion about Moe Wagner. Kid was never going to be a fit at U-M for various reasons -- and never even sent them his transcripts or made a visit. I think Michigan needs a PG (and yes he is a guy that needs to dominate the ball) much better than him in 2016.

The potential I see in Wagner is something maybe like a Jarrod Uthoff type. Tall, not real athletic, decent face up game. Could be a useful player. In terms of late additions, seems like a decent fit.

Also there may or may not be attrition and it’s silly to hypothesize, but Beilein flew across the world to watch him play in November – so this isn’t all driven by attrition.

Seriously man, stop it with the good fit. How the heck is he a good fit? He’s another catch and shoot player…you yourself have admitted that adding him presents issues because of the redundancy. Dawkins, Donnal, Wilson, Wagner, Robinson, and even Irvin and Chatman to a certain extent. That’s 5-6 guys on a single roster that stand in a corner.

I think Wagner can be a decent supplemental piece if we’re looking at him independent of the roster composition, but please, let’s not act as if we don’t have more pressing needs and that he is going to significantly improve the team next year. He’s taking a roster spot that would be MUCH better served by a creating guard, and we all know it.

You hit the nail on the head - JB actually flew halfway across the world to pursue a one dimensional player, and it doesn’t even surprise me. And that’s the sad part