Moritz Wagner at FIBA U20 European Championship

Few big misses down the stretch from Moe in the 3Q… Three-pointer,. mid-range pull-up and a driving hook. Germany down 10 heading into the 4th.

Moe has 7 pts on 3-of-6 shooting

Germany 43 - 53 Spain at the end of 3rd Quarter. Germany yanked their point guard. Kid probably couldn’t play D1 in the US.

1 Like

Frustrating creeping in for Moe, just can’t buy one around the hoop.

1 Like

Germany loses to Spain, 69-61, Wagner with 11 pts, 3 rebs, 3 stls in 18 mins. GER knocked to classification bracket and plays Sat. @ 12pm.

2 Likes

I haven"t watched any of these games, but the comments make me think that Wagner has had a disappointing campaign. Has he shown improvement over last year?

Working on a more in-depth thing about how he’s played w/ video, etc. for early next week after the tourney is over.

Hard to make any sweeping statements because he’s in a very different offense and surrounded by different players. Only has so many opportunities in ~20 minutes per game.

Also hard to look great when you just can’t make a jump shot. But that doesn’t mean he’s forgotten how to make a jump shot.

I’ve only watched the Germany-Spain game, but the level of play is not that high and there are a lot of botched plays and bad decision-making (ill-advised entry passes, putting people in tough-shot situations rather than easy shot situations). Also, Germany’s point guard is mediocre which makes it tough on the bigs. I don’t think Moe is entirely responsible for his uneven production.

The pick and pop/roll isn’t as effective with the German PG as it is Derrick Walton. But that’s also a reminder how important Jaaron Simmons and Xavier Simpson are this year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dylan, how well does Simmons throw the alley-oop? As I much as I loved Walton, that was not a strength for him. It was great to see Mo finish some alley-oops in your FIBA highlight video.

Moe Wagner with a fast start today against Lithuania. Has Germany’s first 6 points.

Live link?

He’s up to 8 of the first 10 and the last two came from an alley-oop pass thrown by Wagner in transition.

Thank you, sir.

14 points, 3 boards, an assist and 3 steals in the 1st half for Wagner. He was 6-of-7 from the floor, efficient and aggressive half from him.

Moritz Wagner finishes with 23 points on 10-of-16 shooting (0-3 3pt) with 5 steals, 3 rebs and 2 asts. in loss to Lithuania.

Germany will wrap things up Sunday at 9:45 against the loser of Serbia/Iceland.

3 Likes

Last game of the tourney coming up for Moritz Wagner and Germany. Live stream against Iceland here:

Wagner with 13 points on 5-of-8 shooting in the first. Finally hit a three and looked very thankful to see one go down.

1 Like

Moe Wagner has 26 of Germany’s 50 points in this one. Just had a post spin move dunk with a foul.

2 Likes

Moritz Wagner wraps up Euro U20s on a high note: 32 points on 12-of-19 fg, 6 rebounds in win over Iceland. Germany finishes 7th.

We’ll have a video breakdown of the whole tourney early this week.

11 Likes