Mlive article on the freshmen

4 Likes

At this point, sounds like Ibi is the one who has most surpassed expectations.

1 Like

I’ve been saying it and thinking this the last few weeks. I think Ibi is the next beilein diamond in the rough. Will he make us forget battle or Langford? Maybe not although I think he could give battle a better run than we realize, but I think he will be good and at worst a solid wing off the bench for years to come.

Every time I YouTube his senior year final mix tape I think to myself " yep, coach b did it again. " combine his very good bounce, solid height and length with solid skill and he is one smooth player. He also appeared to be playing in what has to be one of the top public leagues out there. Those kids looked like they were in some wars/ high level competition for public ball.

He appeared to have much better handle/ creativity then I thought. Nice shot, runs the floor well, looks like he can finish and appears to have nice vision.

Now Poole seems to be getting a lot of hype on here and on the recruiting sites, and I really like him too but I’m starting to wonder if he’s gonna be able to bump Ibi out of the rotation. It’s not surprising me if Ibi is looking ready. He’s use to top competition and he’s got that swag/ athleticism to match up. this is of course a lot off of what that video shows.

1 Like

It depends on whether Ibi is a 2 or 3. Will his handle be good enough to be a 2. Poole’s handle is much better. Ibi’s handle and length may send him to the 3 and back up 2.

I see Mathews penciled in as our three for years to come. I actually think he will be the best player on our roster sooner than later unless Wagner takes over. Particularly with this year off with coach b to hone his skills.

Mathews made a wise choice, I think coach b is the guy to get him to the nba. I’m really looking forward to 17-18. I think if x can develop quick enough that that team will be extremely dangerous. The idea of him maar and Mathews plus Duncan and Wagner has me excited. I think that team if what I’m projecting with development is right has a chance to go very deep.

I mean when you watch Mathews film from high school his tape is on another level imo than anyone else we got. He looks like he’s playing a different game at st Rita’s

1 Like

Ibi Watson is up to 191lbs already. I think this kid has a bright future and I can’t wait to see him play this year.

He wasn’t ranked. How could you possibly be excited about him? Isn’t that your main evaluating tool?

I am feeling the hype around him. It would be so good for the program if he was a good contributor this year. I hope expectations arent too high

1 Like

I agree on Matthews. I think he’ll have a much bigger impact than Duncan did in his first year (though it will be more balanced than 'jump off the page 3 ot shooting); and we all seemed pretty excited about what d Robinson accomplished.

As a much higher rated recruit originally and with a year of D1 experience I certainly hope so. “Much better than Duncan” is a really good starting point for UM

Some thoughts and extended EYBL footage on Ibi Watson.

2 Likes

Looking at his shot chart, if he can improve on hitting 3s in the corner, his 3 point percentage is going to be a very nice part of his game.

I’ll say it for my 100 th time. If that last senior year mixtape is telling than ibi is a big time sleeper who was very under ranked. I think he will be fine in his 5-10 minute roll if that’s how they see him.

1 Like