Michigan FOOTBALL Moving Forward

Terrance Taylor, Alan Branch, and Mike Martin all played extensively (Taylor and Martin started) and played pretty well as true freshmen.

It’s possible we could avoid that next year if Mone can stay healthy, and our rotation is Mone, Hurst, Gary (occasionally), and Dwumfor. But I’d imagine at least two of Hudson, DIB, and Jeter see some time on the field. I think Solomon, if we are lucky enough to land him, would play extensively. Tufele probably would, too.

Definitely agree here. I would love to add Solomon. Hopefully Harbaugh can close the deal

The bball coverage on MGoBlog isn’t good at all – I don’t even read it anymore. I used to read both this and MGoBlog, but Dylan (and co’s) knowledge and content is so far superior.

2 Likes

You think that Solomon and/or Tufele would play extensively as freshmen? That is NOT what you said yesterday lol.

“Wait, you’re projecting one of 2 interior DL into the rotation as freshman. That is rare indeed. Even Rashan Gary, who is ultimately projected to play on the interior, struggled when lining up on the interior. Generally speaking interior DL never play as true freshman unless we’re talking #1 in the country types, for which neither of these gentleman are, talented as they may be.”

I asked MGoBoard to translate his UFR rating to a letter grade.

"Weeding out the “he was a freshman” excuses:

He was a C+ player for the Big Ten this year.

Sometimes he made you forget he was a freshman, and sometimes he missed blocks badly. That’s how it goes." - Magnus from TouchTheBanner

Makes sense given his overall +/- rating from UFR. For a true freshman, he was very good. Overall, he was average. “Struggled mightily” is a reach.

Again, maybe in your opinion it’s a reach. If we’re talking about the worst OL on an Oline that is average at best, by definition that particular OL is below average/poor.

But keep on pushing

Magnus is very reputable and said that his UFR rating would translate to a C+.

Someone who “struggled mightily” should have a negative UFR rating. Apparently you aren’t familiar with the very rating that you cited.

Already acknowledged DT depth was thin yesterday so PT is a possibility.

Keep on pushing

I badly hope that Peters beats out Speight as the QB starter next year. I think we’re gonna need great play out of that position to make up for the line and I think Wilton’s ceiling might be where he was at this year. I’d love for him to prove me wrong but I think Peters could be a legit star.

I’m extremely familiar with Magnus. What you failed to do in the MGo post was reflect the correlation between the UFR grade and Bredeson’s standing in relation to the rest of the Oline. If Bredeson is the worst on an Oline that is average at best, and is able to grade out at C+, then the OL as a whole would be at B+ range.

No way in hell that line was a B+, not even close. The OL as a whole might have been a C+, which would necessarily indicate Bredeson as a C-/D+

Keep on pushing

Hard to tell if if his ceiling was capped by injury or natural limitations. He did progress nicely until the injury notwithstanding the Iowa game. Love his pocket presence, but his mechanics are not ideal.

You had already acknowledge that DLine depth was thin:

For positional necessity, OL has to be the #1 priority, followed by DT. While Gay may be the most talented piece left on the board, the drop off between Metellus/Hudson will be far less in 18 in relation to the potential of a FR Dtackle

Even after that you went on to say:

“Wait, you’re projecting one of 2 interior DL into the rotation as freshman. That is rare indeed. Even Rashan Gary, who is ultimately projected to play on the interior, struggled when lining up on the interior. Generally speaking interior DL never play as true freshman unless we’re talking #1 in the country types, for which neither of these gentleman are, talented as they may be.”

True, we never did really get the full story on the injury. And I’m still quite impressed with the pocket presense that you mention. For a big, slow guy, he can not only sense the pressure coming but also force an unexpected amount of missed tackles. I’m very interested to see the battle at that position for the next 4+ years with Wilton, Peters, and McCaffrey.

Now you are making up your own relative rating system? Are you a better evaluator than Brian?

Brian gave Bredeson a POSITIVE rating individually, not a negative one. Magnus gives him a C+ individually. They are better at this than you or I.

What did Brian and/or Magnus grade the Oline as a whole?

Until you can obtain that this is a joke

At QB experience generally wins out, but we’re talking Harbaugh…no such thing.

I’m curious as well. I think the bigger story is the OL though. If Onwenu can be competent that will go a long way

I’d also think Peters winning the job is best-case scenario, but only because Wilton has a high baseline for Peters to surpass. Speight was far from perfect; accuracy inconsistency was his largest issue, because he proved that he could be a flamethrower, on occasion. I wish the team would release the specifics of Speight’s injury. It looked like a high-grade AC joint sprain which, even if not a complete separation, can take a long time to fully heal from, like most ligament injuries. It’d also explain why his upperbody mechanics seems worse, post-Iowa, and why the staff was afraid to let him take a hit. Hard to see Harbaugh giving the reins to a RS Frosh when the offense is going to be so young as a whole, with a returning starter at QB.

We are talking about Bredeson and Magnus literally said: “He was a C+ player for the Big Ten this year.”

That is cut and dry. You are spinning to try and save face rather than conceding and moving on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Harbaugh has always enjoyed using mobile quarterbacks, and McCaffrey definitely has that going for him (I’m not sure about Peters???). Obviously O’Korn tried to sorta be that against Indiana but he seems broken in some way.

I’m not saving face about anything. The point is that he/they are grading on a curve. Had you presented the information on a blind resume basis in the context of an average OL then the replies would’ve been much different.

Again, if the Oline as a whole is average, the worst individual OL cannot be average himself by definition. Unless of course the grading is curved or the information is skewed, as is the case here.

Have a wonderful day.