Michigan FOOTBALL Moving Forward

I wonder if we could get a grad transfer to come in for some OLine depth

I just hope Peters wins the starting QB spot for obvious reasons (see FSU game).

Would feel a lot better about next year if Michigan can land Harris, Solomon, and Gay.

1 Like

Mgoblog comments suggest that coaches want Cole at c bc thatā€™s his pro spot. They want that value up

Peppers declares. Happy for him. Sad for Michigan.

2 Likes

He was fun to watch. Itā€™s unfortunate we only saw him play 2 years in the winged helmet.

His talent lived up to the hype. Iā€™m slightly disappointed in the way our coaches utilized himā€“especially this yearā€“but he no doubt created a buzz about the program (in addition to what Harbaugh brought).

There is a lot of talk about Willie Gay being able to step in day 1 and play that Viper position. Really hoping we can land him.

He lives a few towns over and I have met him. He is a great kid and has a great future. Very humble and does not get ahead of himself. Happy for him but wish he would stay.

1 Like

Heā€™s actually probably a better fit for the position than Peppers was because heā€™s longer and will probably play at 230 or 235. I donā€™t expect him to immediately play it better than Peppers did, but heā€™s very fast and his size is more appropriate for the position.

That being said, Iā€™m not terribly confident heā€™ll end up at Michigan. But after the 2 NTs, I think heā€™s the most important recruit left on the board.

When the Pepcat package became so predictable, I wish we wouldā€™ve worked in some packages where he is a standard RB, preferably out of the pistol. Itā€™d be easier to use him as a decoy, and it wouldā€™ve given him a fullback to run behind. When he was in at QB, everyone knew what was happening.

Idk if you were disappointed in his defensive utilization, but I thought he was THE ideal viper at the college level, and everything about his usage there made sense. Maybe his draft stock wouldā€™ve been higher if he played some more free safety and had more opportunities at interceptions.

Gay is the player on the board that I want the most. He is the kind of elite impact athlete that Michigan needs to take the next step. Will be disappointed if he ends up elsewhere. I wonā€™t feel bad about OSU getting Browning if we get him.

Hope they can lock down Samuels too.

This Austin Jackson guy from AZ who is taking an official would be a v nice pickup at OT. Heā€™s supposedly a USC lock but you never know, maybe he likes winter.

For positional necessity, OL has to be the #1 priority, followed by DT. While Gay may be the most talented piece left on the board, the drop off between Metellus/Hudson will be far less in 18 in relation to the potential of a FR Dtackle

Whaf OL are we still in on that youā€™d rather have than Gay?

If all things were equal in terms of depth, Iā€™d absolutely agree that Gay is the most talented prospect on the board exclusive of Solomon. But the depth isnā€™t equal at this point. We need OL, in particular OT.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is, at this point, Becton (hopefully Iā€™m spelling it correctly) is more important than Gay.

Is Becton the giant 3 star?

I believe a 4 to some sites, but yes. I think 6ā€™7/340 range?

Becton is a project that wouldnā€™t see the field for probably 3 years. By the, OLine depth wonā€™t be an issure.

Yeah he is oozing potential. I definitely would be more comfortable with our class if he was in it.

I think Becton is a take for sure, but basing him as a higher need than Willie Gay based on 2017 depth doesnā€™t make sense because there is no way Becton sees the field next year.

I think thatā€™s where youā€™re wrong. JBB was a project that wasnā€™t supposed to see the field. Bredeson wasnā€™t supposed to see the field. But lack of bodies mandates that both did. And the depth is even thinner next year. We simply need OL more than LB, and by a wide margin.

Gay and Solomon have an exponentially higher likelihood than Becton to contribute both in 2017/18 and ever. OL depth is definitely important, but the difference in caliber of prospect supersedes positional need, in this case, IMO.