Kameron Chatman to transfer from Michigan

Well let’s hope if that’s the case that he had a plan of grad transfers. This is the best chance we have to make a deep run in a while and it might bre our best shot for the foreseeable future. The trio of Maar, Irvin, and Walton might be the best in big ten. Add in Duncan’s shooting and Wagner and were a tough team. If we utilize Wagner properly and improves like I think he can I think he can have a Mitch like impact. I believe he could be an nba level tAlent.

Donnall x and Wilson have to make up a solid bench. Imo we need another knock down three point shooter. This is why I think people are underestimTing what Dawkins could have brought to the table.impact scorer/ shooter off the bench.,•another reason I think spike could have been useful. We shoot a lot of threes and we have no one consistent. If Duncan can avoid a huge slump it won’t matter . So a shooter/ scorer off the bench and a three/4 hybrid who rebounds and defends well would be the ideal additions imo.

MHoops, good point. Thank you for the correction.

For a while, the narrative around these parts was how to deal with NBA attrition (the result of good recruiting).

What these departures show is that weak recruiting can have the exact same result: a young team with little depth and huge question marks.

2 Likes

Really what they show is that both is an awfully brutal combo.

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/727609784669773824

1 Like

I think a fair question at this point is WHY JB can’t seem to retain talent and/or depth?

In which case? Guys going to the NBA? Transfers that played bench minutes?

1 Like

Both IMO, that amount of aggregate attrition is abnormal by any standard.

Sparty is checking in on Taurean Thompson. Would be a nice prospect at the 4 spot. I’d love to see us have a shot with someone like that, but I don’t see that happening this late in the game. It will be very interesting to see if JB can bring in someone that is capable of playing this season.

All programs go through attrition. Some of them are just better at recruiting well enough to minimize the impacts.

Um, the reason guys go to the NBA is pretty straightforward.

The reason these guys are transferring is because their roles either diminished (Dawkins, Doyle) or were never essential to begin with (Chatman) because of poor play.

Udoh and maybe Smot are the only two transfers that I recall that would have had a guaranteed important role on the team, and Smot’s role might have been questionable.

1 Like

Um, I understand that. But other coaches seemingly retain guys with similar talent (NBA) and role/marginal players at a much higher rate. That is pretty straightforward to me.

Sending guys to the NBA is now something to be answered for – sigh

2 Likes

Seriously, just complaining to complain now.

A few weeks ago people were complaining about how we had too many scholarships tied up with non-B10 caliber players. Three leave the program, and those same people are now wringing their hands about player retention. Laughable.

And complaining about players leaving early to be drafted? Ok.

2 Likes

I never complained, not once. I simply questioned WHY attrition is so high. If you take that as a complaint, that’s on you. Your defense of the guy is funny. You’re so worked up about the guy that you create semi-contentious matters. Its funny to be honest.

1 Like

Step back from the ledge, everybody. We have a roster today that is good enough to compete for a B1G championship. Most teams play an 8 or 9 man rotation. We have all 5 starters back from a team that won 23 games last year plus 4 stars Wagner, Simpson and Wilson, Watson, Teske, Davis.
If we get hit again with injuries at positions where we are thin, we could have problems, but that is true of most teams.
This next six week period, could prove to be a great springboard forward (coaching hires and new players) or not. Until then, I will not be losing sleep over this.

“I think a fair question at this point is WHY JB can’t seem to retain talent and/or depth?”

“But other coaches seemingly retain guys with similar talent (NBA) and role/marginal players at a much higher rate.”

But, sure, you weren’t complaining. Laughable.

1 Like

Question for You Alum - are my questions legit? In other words, are my points true or not?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Harold Baruti '16 in on his way to an OV at UM

Who are the other coaches that are able to retain their NBA talent? Izzo is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that regularly keeps NBA level players despite interest from the league.

And honestly, I don’t know if JB is really that bad at it. Trey Burke stayed for a second year. So did GR3 and McGary.

Edit: Caris too.

2 Likes

Do other coaches retain marginal bench players at a higher rate? I’m sure some do. Many certainly don’t. Is that a good thing? Debatable. Jim Harbaugh would probably say turning over marginal players is probably a good thing.

Do other coaches retain NBA talent at a better rate? Honestly, probably only a couple. Izzo, probably, but who else?

1 Like