PF - Wilson / Young
C - Wagner / Donnal / Teske / Davis

Why is that so devastating and worse than:

PG - Simpson / PG / Poole
SG - Rahk / Poole / Watson
SF - Robinson / Cain
PF - Wilson / Chatman / Young
C - Wagner / Teske / Davis

I prefer option A over option B because I’m more confident in someone like Young giving Big Ten minutes than Teske or Davis. Still, even if you prefer option B, the difference is negligible… no?

I agree to an extent. I am glad that JB is willing to admit the failures of the 2014 class, but he now has to replace those players with ones who fit better and are capable of playing at a higher level. I am skeptical about his ability to do that, but I am glad that he is willing to move on from his mistakes.

2 Likes

Amazing that of those 6 players in the 14 class, that MAAR turned out to be the best player. A kid who couldn’t even get an offer from instate PSU.

1 Like

This is what I’m saying. I was just posting earlier how 2017 had to be a home run. Now Kam leaving makes it even bigger. He needs to hit a home run and hope that a few can contribute immediately. Maar has to be a bit nervous about his senior year. I’m sure he’s putting a lot of stock into next year being a success now. Seemed like we were going to have two years of upperclassmen play like the Badgers did now that’s down to one. Please find a 3/4 grad transfer who can play. Also go after kostas hard. We got room for him.

Remove one player from your top depth chart and replace it with a 2016 2 star forward. That is part of my concern.

If you watch his high school film then the video from Italy it appeared to me that he was at the very least the sleeper of the class. His game jumped out to me more so then the others.

First off stop looking ahead 2 years that is absolutely absurd. This coming season hasn’t even started yet! Second off, a lot can change with a full year of recruiting to go for 2017. Third, the loss is devastating for NEXT YEAR since we do not have a lot of time to find a replacement. Fourth relax with the confidence that we will get Young and Cain both are becoming more popular names on the trail. Enough already!

Calling the 2014 class a ‘6 player class’ is a bit disingenuous. I think the point remains when you look at it as a five man group.

yeah, i love maar, but i don’t like the idea of last minute fishing with 4y scholarships. it has worked out previously, but usually only when we have enough depth to absorb it.

I’d be all in on grad transfers at this point and try to fill in the gaps for 1y rather than taking whatever scraps are left on the buffet for 2016. Kostas may be an exception to this, and honestly i don’t know how close he is to actual B1G productivity, but i’d defer to 2017 and onwards and do this thoughtfully rather than in a rush unless there is a clear home run sitting out there.

MAAR quietly improved aspects of his game that needed improvement. It wasn’t the flashy-fill-up-the-statsheet improvement we saw from year 1 to year 2 in Burke and Stauskas, which makes it pretty commendable. I feel like the staff gave MAAR objectives to refine his game and MAAR embraced that.

I feel like we have air to sell a top pf grad transfer. A upperclassmen led team with big ten title possibilities and major minutes. Same with the few star 2016 kids. I’m not sure if we succeed on hitting it big though. Our luck/ track record lately is meh.

Couldn’t we have just traded Chatman for Marvin Clark from MSU? I’d take that, anyone else?

Another fear of mine. Only Poole is a sure thing it seems. He has to land top targets or it could be rough. Then again a 2017 stRarting five of
X
Maar
Duncan
Wilson
Wagner

Could end up being pretty good if Wilson steps up along with x

I actually kinda like bess myself. They both don’t solve the problem for next year.

I hope everyone who already thinks the sky is falling holds off on any panic attacks, for a while longer. There is still plenty of time to pick up a grad transfer or two, and that pick up doesn’t need to be a stud in order to replace (or even improve on) what Kam was going to provide. I’ll happily say I was wrong and start complaining if, in 3 months from now, the roster still looks the same as today. But have some faith in JB.

The transfer list is still long

2 Likes

He would have to sit out 2 years due to Big Ten rules

PG: Walton 30; X 10
SG: MAAR 30; X 10
SF: Duncan 25; Zak 5; Ibi 10
PF: Zak 25; DJ 15
C: Mark 20; Mo 20

And that’s not including the possibility of playing small ball lineups for a spot minutes (X, Walton, MAAR). I don’t love the idea of 10 minutes for Ibi and 15 minutes for DJ; and I am guessing the starters actually get more minutes than my projections. But all it takes is a solid grad transfer to take minutes at the 3 and 4, and we are fielding a solid 8 man rotation.

One name we haven’t talked about much is Maishe Dailey. I know he was on the radar before late last summer, then committed to Rutgers, then thought about going 2017, then decommitted, now is announcing decision this week.

Sounds like Iowa is the likely destination (just visited), but if they wanted to add another wing I wonder if they make a late effort.

Sounds like it’ll be Iowa though

2 Likes

I held out some hope for Kam Chatman. He showed some defensive hustle. I wish him the best, wherever he ends up.

Will next year’s team even be a veteran team anymore? It seemed like depth and experience was the lone bright spot for this squad, and now they don’t even really have that. The cumulative effects of subpar recruiting, development, and roster management are becoming apparent. Each new vacancy does create opportunities for improvement, but not unless recruiting improves in a big way. Is Kostas still on the market?