Jon Teske, Xavier Simpson, Ibi Watson at the Ohio-Kentucky all star game

That’s exactly how it went. We would’ve probably landed Langford had Battle not pull that crap. Thorthan is up for the taking now. I say that we take recruit him. You can never have too many talented guards and plus he plays defense.

Also, I have seen all four play live - that’s were my praise come from. I make it a bucket list type of thing to see the recruits play so that I can see what our coaching seen when they recieved their offers. This year was easy all I had to do is go to 0nsted and different parts of Ohio.( I hate Ohio)

1 Like

Given the fact that we don’t have anyone on the roster now who’s playing decent defense, Watson probably won’t be hurt by deficiency in that area. Given our lack of options at the 2 for next year, if he shows any ability to get the ball in the basket, he’ll play.

Generally speaking, most of us are salty (myself included) when a kid that is a seemingly perfect fit from both a skills and cultural standpoint chooses to go elsewhere. However, it’s hard to knock a kid for going to Harvard, I can’t blame him at all.

I am not sure what you mean by the term “role player” in this context. I think occasionally coaches will add a back up player to a roster first, in anticipation of a top dog taking the last scholarship because it effectively eliminates all competition at a particular position, but MAAR was added in the late signing period of 14’ just prior to Dawkins. We added MAAR because we didn’t get our first choices. I don’t see how characterizing MAAR as someone who was recruited to be a role player makes any sense at all. Beilein took the best he could get. Additionally, Beilein added Robinson because he likes his game not so he could be a place holder…Are you saying that MAAR and Robinson were not expected to be instant impact players but were forced into starting positions prematurely? I guess I could go along with that if that is what you meant.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed report.

Was I the only one who watched maars film and knew he’d be good? I had just started to come to the site and I saw a video of him and then hid tape in Italy. I believe they said he was a two star recruit on the video I watched. I immedidty knew they’ve as false and that he was a steal. I actually told my buddy that he was the top kid in the 2014 class they we signed. There was no doubt in my mind and I was right. I also said he’s not your typical beilein guard because of his slashing and to the rim ability. I was quite happy to see his skill set.

1 Like

MAAR, Walton and Zak has played good defense. Especially MAAR and Walton. Zak had to guard the four spot but when he guarded players he actually did well. Against Purdue. First game against Iowa. He did a good job on Lyman. The potential is there. MAAR has played great defense. Trust me I welcome the toughness of Simpson and Davis - yes I said DAVIS. ALSO, No Wagner showed that he can played great defense with added strength. Heck, even Donnal has played some good defensive games this year. Chatman has some potential there. I’m not going to give up on any player before the graduate.

1 Like

MrTroyMercy…
Spell check: never a bad thing when typing on the Internet.

No I remember when I said that MAAR going to be a steal and people on this site chewed me out harshly. I’m glad that MAAR proved them wrong and Dawkins did as well. I said the same about Duncan Robinson, who a poster said was " slow, weak and will never contribute because he lacks lateral quickness" and that was only the FIRST Pratice. I still believe that Kam Chatman will show his real skill set. Remember just last year everyone wanted him and Donnal to transfer out of the program.

1 Like

Okay buddy. I’m not going there with you. Have a great day.

contribute

I thought MAAR was under ranked so I think I had higher expectations than the average fan but he has exceeded my expectations quite a bit and he has a much higher ceiling than I initially anticipated. I am probably guilty of not being objective because I knew his ranking was pretty bad. I wonder what people think his ranking should have been. I would guess he should have been ranked top 75. What do other people think?

My recollection is that more people thought Dawkins would outperform MAAR. I think Dawkins has proved a lot of posters wrong but not in the way you are talking about.

How do you even know how long it would take Watson to develope? People said that Wagner, MAAR and Duncan Robinson would take YEARS to develop. YOU can’t dictate who will and will not contribute based on videos. If you don’t see them live- that entire argument is mute. Watson has won MVP’s and outplayed some of the better players in AAU. It kills me to see people dismiss recruits before they step on campus. The fact is that you have no clue how players will develop until you see them live and not on video. I trust Tom Creams eye and coach Beilien talent evaluation over video observers. And yes maybe my panties are in a bunch. Most of the people criticizing these young men have never made a organized basketball team at any level.

1 Like

If all of those guys are playing good defense, I’m not sure how you explain the fact that our team defense is still so bad.

2 Likes

Sorry for the typos. This auto correct on my phone sucks!

Last post but read what others who were at the game said about the players but particularly WATSON. This came from Brendan H Quinn from MLIVE.

Teske was a menace. By the end of the night, Kentucky players stopped driving down the lane, fearing rejection. Those arms continued to get in the way. When the official scorer’s table was checked afterward for a final tally of block shots, the official scorer, who didn’t actually count blocks, twanged, “Had to be 'a half-dozen.”

Watson played sound defense, but was quiet offensively. He scored his only bucket on a swooping up-and-under conversion that looked awfully familiar.

“Everybody is trying to get me to wear No. 23 when I get up to Ann Arbor,” Watson said, connecting the dots of the obvious comparisons between himself and LeVert, who had a similar body and skill set when he left the same Pickerington Central High School to go to U-M back in 2012. “I think we have similar games, but not all the way similar. I want to be my own player.”

I actually believe that people are mistaking his lack of scoring in the game as not being a good defensive player…Just because he got scored on in a highlight video that doesn’t mean that he isn’t a good player. If he is a 2/3 I have no doubt that he can guard those positions. The best defensive players get scored on.

I have seen others say that he is a great defenders and I have seen videos of him stealing the ball and blocking shots. I attended two of his games and he locked his man down. So I’m defending him andnhe was an all stater who played with a team concept.

1 Like

My former coach was Ibi’s AAU coach for all Ohio. He also trains Ibi weekly on Saturday mornings. My opinion on him is sort of informed.

1 Like

Okay sure , lol.No argument here. I have personally seen him play great defense. WE will revisit this post during the course of the season. Is that fair ? He defended well in AAU and he also defended well when he played scorers during the season. Every defender gets scored on no matter how much of an lock down they are proclaimed to be. Good day sir. Enjoy.

2 Likes