Jon Teske, Xavier Simpson, Ibi Watson at the Ohio-Kentucky all star game

I attended last night’s game, thought I’d share my amateur observations in case anyone is interested.

Firstly, rotation format was that predetermined groups of 5 cycled in for each side every 5 minutes of game clock. The last 10 minutes of the game had each team going best vs. best and substituting liberally. This may not be unusual.

Also, by all star game standards, I would say the defensive intensity was reasonably high - likely attributable to the “turf war” nature of the matchup.

Some individual notes:

Xavier Simpson - As advertised, a confident floor general. Did all the little things well, seemed to really relish opportunities to get into defensive stance and embrace on-ball perimeter ball-hawking. Even pulled off perfect dramatic reenactment of Trey’s immortalized pilfer and breakaway lay-up vs. Appling. Only potential weakness exposed was perimeter J, but really too small of a sample size to be fair. Didn’t really look for outside shot, air balled one 15 footer, well short on another…but seemed content playing facilitator/directing traffic and finished great at the rim on all of his makes. Even with limited practice time (teams convened Thursday, I believe), he’d already developed noticeable rapport with teammates.

Teske - To these eyes, what this lad brought was revelatory. Suggesting he had a half dozen blocked shots was laughable…he was well into double figures. Competition and size caveats apply, but his timing and ball instincts were pretty impressive. He’d deftly corral the ball after some rejections and quickly find a PG (usually X) to deliver the ball to enabling quick transition opportunities. His one field goal was a nice step back 12 footer a bit off the baseline, showcased a fluid catch and stroke. Obviously he’ll likely be the 5th option in most lineup permutations, but I think most of us would invite a big focused solely on protecting the rim and snatching boards. Showed solid footwork and overall coordination for a young man his size.

Ibi - the charitable side of me would like to just give him a grade of incomplete. Just very passive and disappointingly willing to defer to others throughout the game. I don’t think he touched the ball once during his first 5 minute shift. He was on the court a fair amount during the final 10 minutes, X even tried to set him up for a couple kick outs late…but showing shades of Mike Griffin, he didn’t really even look at the rim. Again, rationalizing I convinced myself that Caris may have been similarly docile at this age. But so much for the UM staff directive for him to focus on developing a killer instinct. I don’t want to be unduly harsh toward the kid, perhaps there were other factors at play. His one bucket was a nicely adjusted reverse on a fast break.

Q Goodin - for my money, the best player on the court in the first half. Was great to see him matched up with X in the last 10 minutes (they were on separate shifts prior to that). Creative with a nice handle in traffic, able to get to the rim at will in first 30 minutes and finish smoothly - I thought X did a nice job staying in front of him late and forcing him to give it up (although some of that was him trying to set up 3 point shooters during Kentucky’s comeback). As someone who also supports Xavier University (sorry) dating back to Mo Brantley coming down from Belleville, I’m delighted that he’s going to another school I like. I think he must have taped his ear rings for personal safety reasons, to answer the question of another poster earlier.

J Cumberland - UC-bound wing man briefly courted by UM true to scouting report. Thinks he is a perimeter marksman; he is not. I’d estimate he was 1 for 7 or 8 out there, but just kept jacking at every slight opening. He was, however, fairly adroit at slashing to the hoop and either getting off good shot or setting up teammates. He also hit 3 clutch FTs in last minute before the last rimmed out, leading to Kentucky’s I’ll-fated game-winning 3 attempt at the horn.

Overall a very entertaining game…but I am still seeing the repulsive image of Xavier and Sparty-bound Nick Ward fiving warmly right in front of me during a dead ball.

10 Likes

While they were matched up who looked better x or goodin?i was very high on goodin while we were going after him. I preferred a lot of his film to Cassius for instance. I’m big on x though and was happy we got him. I also liked Lucas as a nice sleeper. I think he’ll do well for Illini.

Also good to hear about teske. As far as Ibi, who knows maybe he wasn’t into it.some times people just aren’t feeling it. Feel low energy for whatever reason.

Also no one answered me the other day. What happened with towns? We gave up on him or we proffered Ibi? I refuse to believe towns chose Harvard over us. What led to that fell out? Also not to live on what if but a class of teske battle Simpson Davis reAlly sounds good.

I’ll say this, Quentin Goodin was probably the most underrated player in the 16 class IMO. And although it won’t be popular, I think Goodin was the better recruit, and will be a better college player in relation to X. I think X was no doubt an upper tier player, but what Goodin has simply can’t be taught. I think UM will regret passing on Goodin in a major way, hopefully X is every bit as good.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I am especially encouraged by the good things I am hearing about Teske. #44 from Kentucky is listed as 6’8". In the videos it sure seemed like Teske was towering over him!

Towns had his shot to commit to Michigan early and then Ohio State came in and offered. He was really high on both, but Harvard was always high on his list.

Check out this recent article, this quote kind of tells the story: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2015/07/13/towns-harvard-0713.html

“You have to understand: Seth is wired differently than most of us,” Taylor said. “He’s a different kind of guy. He’s not afraid to take the unconventional approach.

So his offer was still on the table when he committed or nah? I’d read that article before but I thought posters on here said we rescinded said offer, wasn’t sure of timeline/ if that’s true.

Hard to say, as it didn’t really devolve into a 1 on 1 showdown. X was clearly surrounded by more high level talent, so he had that advantage with which to work. But I would have given X the 2nd half MVP to counter Q’s first half performance. He palpably took control of the game.

I did miss one X bucket in a half court set while I was apologizing to the UK fan in front of me for my 4 y/o daughter repeatedly kicking him in the back (I was not mad at her), but it garnered a “damn!” from my Michigan-hating brother-in-law. Not sure if it came at Q’s expense.

Most reassuring was that X held his own on D in spite of his diminutive stature. Of course, Goodin’s not a serious outside shooting threat so that allowed some cushion. There was a bit of a Darius Morris vs. Trey Burke vibe to it, to ridiculously oversimplify it.

2 Likes

No argument here. I think it really boils down to the style of player being sought and system fit. I think X’s intangibles are just what UM needs right now. But I think it’s very fair to say Goodin may have the higher ceiling.

Agreed! It was just one game against non-B1G level talent, but I was very pleasantly surprised by what I saw from Teske. His seemingly reliable hands are alone a reason to rejoice.

Once again we have people criticizing recruit before they have even stepped on campus but yet again we have people pretending to guru’s that are friends with staff members Lol. Think about it - Ibi Watson got a Indiana offer and ttom cream is known to recruit defensive players. Ibi Watson defense has won his teams game and I have actually seen him play and not video clips. That kid will help us big time.

As far as Xavier Simpson vs Goodin - seriously? Xavier Simpson won Mr Basketball in a very talent rich state of Ohio. He has jumped up in rankings. He has score games of 65, 59 and a couple 40 point games. He had a couple triple doubles and game winners as well. There is no way you can tell who is the better prospect in a all star game. XAVIER is a leader. I’m not going to drool over a player who commit elsewhere and BTW we didn’t pass on Goodin he passed on us.I would compare Xavier to a shorter version of Daniel Horton.

As far as Teske he is the type of kid that you want on your roster. Point blank period. He is a team player and is very skilled and plus he a 7 ft 1 guys that shoots well, defends and passes extremely well. I would compare him to Courtney Sims or a Chris Hunter. ( no shade barrier!)

If you’re going to compare Ibi Watson to a player that played here it would be Tim Hardaway j.r or maybe even Dion Harris without the build and better slashing skills.

Davis is also better than advertised IMO. I would compare to Graham Brown.

Anyhow I know that this is off subject but donypu think that UM should go after Derryck Thorthan ? You can never have to many talented guards- ask Villanova. I also wished that Belien would’ve offered Cumberland. All of our prospects will help this team. Let them step on campus first. No one thought that Duncan Robinson j.r was going to help. Same with MAAR…or people didn’t think that Donnal would contribute. I can assure that Watson will help us early. He played with the big kid that’s going to msu in aau and definitely earned his scholarships. Rememeber- he outplayed a ton of prospects at UM camps.

1 Like

We need better than MAAR, Duncan and Donnal if we want to get back to a final 4 or even the 2nd round of the tournament. You citing them as examples of kids who have contributed means nothing when we haven’t won squat since they have played significant minutes.

If Ibi is being asked to be a contributor this upcoming season, it’s going to be another frustrating season. That’s not a knock on Ibi either so don’t get your panties in a bunch. The kid just needs an off season or two to mature.

And the way you talk about this recruiting class, we better win big soon. Have a group of studs coming in apparently.

1 Like

Teske was listed at 6’11, not 7’1.

Last week, Beilein referred to him as 7’ 1".

1 Like

I think we viewed Towns solely as a three. He took his time, wanted (and I believe received) an OSU offer, and tried to get back in it with us, but we told him we did not have room for him.

I think he was out of the picture before Ibi committed (and of course Ibi wouldn’t be part of the picture if Battle had stayed committed). It will be interesting to see if we would have better off with Huerter (who we wanted as a 2017, as did Syracuse), or Towns.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a mischaracterization. Those guys were recruited to be role players (MAAR and Robinson, anyway) and they have done a solid job in those roles (indeed, Robinson averaged 11.1 this year in his first year in the Big Ten, and as we saw the other day MAAR scored 13.5 over his last 10 games). And both guys have two years left to work on their games.

We didn’t make the second round because Zak Irvin shot 4-16 against ND, 1-9 from three, with several wide open looks. MAAR and Robinson (particularly MAAR) played well. From there, we would have had to beat Stephen F. Austin and Wisconsin to make the EE.

We won 23 games this year, and had some solid wins over Texas, Purdue, Maryland and Indiana. Not bad considering we lost Caris and Spike.

I think we’re capable of 25-26 next year. If we do that, and MAAR and Robinson continue to have big roles, I’m not sure you can we shouldn’t have recruited them, which seems to be the implication.

1 Like

My understanding is that it was not.

No argument here either. After seeing him with his head above the rim during the dunk contest, that just about sealed it for me. It’s true that his jump shot will hold him back, but it’s no more broken than Isaiah Briscoe’s – who isn’t as athletic either – and Briscoe was ranked way higher IIRC.

Also, did Team KY even have another high-major player on the floor?

It will be interesting to follow. I think we ultimately lost interest in Goodin because once Thornton committed to Duke, we went all in on Winston. And after the Battle experience, when Simpson was 100% sure to come and Winston wasn’t quite sure, we took the sure thing.

It would have been interesting to know how the staff would have viewed Goodin as compared to Simpson.

With that said, I remember reading about Simpson playing some really good ball last summer and thinking if we got Winston he (Simpson) might end up at MSU and we might end up with the worse player.

1 Like

Meaning no disrespect my friend but we want all of our recruit to contribute. Don’t forget that we once depended on Stu Douglass and Zak Novak’s shooting, defense and toughness and they were unheralded kids. Tim Jardaway j.r was unhearled too. No one thought that he would be a first rounder. The same with Trey Burke and Nik STAKUS… (sp?). We never thought that MAAR would be the player that he is. Remember little old Spike that everyone didn’t want but now is crying that he is transferring?

Ibi Watson is the perfect Wing for this system . I’m willing to bet my last that this kid will overachieve. I’m not in the business of dismissing players before they wear a uniform or before they graduate. The three players that you mentioned have did a Damn good job helping us win games.

We have had two lottery picks, 4 first Rounders, one national player of the year, two all Americans and four first Rounders under Beilien - not to mention 6 players that have played on NBA rosters. I’m confident in his talent evaluation.

I trust in our coach. Your opinion is yours and I respect that.

2 Likes