Jon Teske, Xavier Simpson, Ibi Watson at the Ohio-Kentucky all star game

I was speaking primarily to his off season work ethic working on his game.

I completely agree, the clips I see of him defending leave a lot to be desired. He’s a kid you hope can help the program by his 3rd year. The definition of a program kid. In my eyes, there’s nothing wrong with 1-2 program kids on the roster at the same time. Unfortunately, Michigan has more than that right now.

Dylan, there’s plenty of film on Ibi out there that highlights his shortcomings on defense. That all star game clip is not the exception regardless of the competitive nature of the game.

I think he’s taking exception to the criticism of work ethic from an ASG. It’s a meaningless game.

If you want to criticize his defensive work ethic, do so on a video from a competitive game (where it very well may be supported), not a game where nobody really GAF.

2 Likes

Is that a rhetorical question? :nerd_face:

We’ll see. If I had to guess I’ll bet you and MattD felt the same way about Caris four years ago. His playing time will depend on his offensive ability. If he’s an offensive weapon, he’ll play.

No, we’re not. based on what I have seen and posted here, Ibi consistently gets beat on D and his effort just looks downright pathetic to be perfectly blunt.

1 Like

LAW - Caris’ handle/change of direction was far ahead of Ibi at the same age

I thought Caris was a program recruit. Someone who could move the program forward by his 3rd-4th year. He exceeded those expectations. He also had a much different supporting cast his first 2 years than Ibi.

1 Like

While I agree with Dylan that we can’t judge Watson’s D (or anyone else’s) from two plays, I think the video does show pretty conclusively what we missed in Goodin. A relentless, big strong guard who can bully his way to the rim and create for his teammates. He may be a bricklayer, but I just love the athleticism.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read. Can’t get too much of Michigan basketball.

Not just 2 plays, I’ve posted plenty of film where Watson just gets abused.

@MattD – PS, I found some footage of QG in the OH-KY dunk contest (which he won). Apparently Ibi Watson also competed for Team Ohio, but I haven’t found the video. If anyone finds it, please share!

Also would be interested in knowing if any of the M guys were in the three point shooting competition.

{Ed - fixed link}

Make a mix tape for us. All I’ve seen are highlight videos.

LA - Saw Ibi LIVE twice this past season. Motor and defensive instincts are very much in need of work. Saying it will be difficult for him to be a year one contributor is dead on IMO.

2 Likes

That’s fine, I just took exception with your broad brush comment that he won’t get any better.

Said he needs considerable improvement going forward, not that it couldn’t happen. Believe me he needs a significant tune up in motor and intensity.

Very surprised if he has any impact next year come B1G time.

1 Like

Interesting, because one of the recent interviews posted here said he had turned it up in terms of being more aggressiveness. Maybe–to seek out the positive in this–it at least means he recognizes that he can be somewhat passive.

And if he doesn’t?

I never made any claims about him, positive or negative, but I have seen John Beilein find one diamond in the rough after another. It’s the miserable and endless negativity that’s got to go.

1 Like

That article. Says there was a. One on one contest and three on three contest too. Sounds like fun