It is far too early to give up on Kam Chatman

He really had a good game today. Do not understand why he got very little minutes in the second half after really playing well in the first half.

Echoing 93grad, he got a shot in the second and was just killing us out there. But yeah, his skill was on full display in the first. Like mpbear said above, he cannot afford to leave Ann Arbor for more than a week or two this summer

Last I checked his points still counted from the first half, so idk about negated. And pretty much everyone but Spike had a dud in the second half. Good signs from him. I think we will see a lot more of that Kam next season.

Last I checked his points still counted from the first half, so idk about negated. And pretty much everyone but Spike had a dud in the second half. Good signs from him. I think we will see a lot more of that Kam next season.

This game just reinforced my opinion on Kam - he’s simply a much better player when he’s able to create his own shot vs off ball where he really struggles. At this point, Kam is much more comfortable in isolation situations at the top of the key rather than being a corner spot up shooter and baseline cutter.

Problem is - that isn’t going to be his role on this team until at least 2016.

This game just reinforced my opinion on Kam - he’s simply a much better player when he’s able to create his own shot vs off ball where he really struggles. At this point, Kam is much more comfortable in isolation situations at the top of the key rather than being a corner spot up shooter and baseline cutter.

If you can put the ball on the floor and make good decisions, you’ll get chances. The making good decisions is the key for Kam right now. It’ll come. But I think we all agree this team needs more guys that can make something happen, not less.

Can you elaborate on this? On a team lacking playmakers, why would JB stifle Kam’s creativity? I think Kam’s been pigeon holed into the corner spot up shooter and baseline cutter because he’s not comfortable doing anything else but once the game slows down for him, he can still become a “point forward” for us. Even if Kam is better in isolation this year, you have to admit he still has only showed flashes of it and looks generally lost in all phases of the game.

He has looked somewhat competent in isolation situations this year, and utterly befuddled in all other offensive spots, namely as a spot up shooter and a finisher, those are simply not his strong suits.

In other words do I think Kam is being misutilized - yes I do. Do I think he would be a better fit elsewhere - yes I do. Do I think Kam is good enough to be a primary option at the top of the key as a creator for this team - no I don’t.

He has looked somewhat competent in isolation situations this year, and utterly befuddled in all other offensive spots, namely as a spot up shooter and a finisher, those are simply not his strong suits.

In other words do I think Kam is being misutilized - yes I do. Do I think he would be a better fit elsewhere - yes I do. Do I think Kam is good enough to be a primary option at the top of the key as a creator for this team - no I don’t.

That’s a fair assessment. He might be productive as primary ball handler in a different offense because his best skill is the ability to handle and pass well for his size. But he is a horribly inefficient scorer in an offense built around that premise. He looks like a square peg in a round hole which is why I could see him moving on.

In my opinion, Kam would be best utilized in the pinch post where he can beat his man off 1-2 dribbles and the top of the key in basically a clear out situation. He just doesn’t fit UM’s offense the way he’s being utilized, not yet anyway. He simply doesn’t shoot well enough to provide good spacing for the rest of the team and he’s a horrible finisher to compound the problem. I think the team, at least this year, would be best served to let him come off the bench and just give him free range to create his own offense and live with the mistakes.