@Illinois Forum Thread

Alright, time to tank to get that lottery pick.

2 Likes

How fun would it be to go into next year with Archie Miller or Chris Mack?

2 Likes

I never thought Iā€™d see this from you lol

Youā€™re right, I misread it. Gonna need Nike to help out.

Canā€™t wait for this press conference. He better have some fire and make his players feel it.

I hate this. I love JB, and I dont want to say die, but these results are inexcusable and quickly turning into a trend. I mean, to steal a @MattD- ism, we are ā€œgetting punkedā€ and now itā€™s happening at the hands of John Groce

2 Likes

Holtmann, mack, marshall, mcdermott, miller

Iā€™ve trolled Illinois fans so hard on the national board and then Beilein lays this crap on me??

Iā€™d be lying if I said Iā€™m not extremely tempted to say something snarky to you of all people, but Iā€™m not.

Iā€™ve maintained from the beginning that John Beilein has earned the right to finish this year. And at the end of this year, if the team is on the bubble, or particularly if we miss the tournament, he should be relieved of his duties. The year isnā€™t finished, and we can certainly improve.

I will say this though, the team quitting on Beilein is something Iā€™ve suggested since last year, for which I was crucified. I think there have certainly been signs of it for some time now. Perhaps the team gets it together this year, but the team just no longer seems to respond to his style.

I tried to be diplomatic about it, but the postgame Maryland loss, when I was in the locker room, gave me a very clear signal that Beilein knew this was bad. He was pleading in a way that I have not witnessed before.

I know Los Angeles Wolverine thinks there is 0% chance JB is terminated/retires after this year. But at this point there is a difference between losing and not even being competitive. Its a fair question to ask whether this team can win more than 5 conference games at this point.

1 Like

gonna caps lock rant for a sec:

GOD DAMMIT MARK DONNAL WHY DONā€™T YOU GET A DAMN BUZZ CUT AND GET THAT DUMB FLOW OFF OF YOUR HEAD YOU LOOK SO SOFT DO SOMETHING GET A BUNCH OF TATTOOS OR STOP BEING SO WHITE I DONā€™T EVEN CARE JUST DONā€™T LOOK SO SOFT IN EVERY PHYSICAL WAY POSSIBLE.

5 Likes

5 Likes

If we win our next 2 (Home vs Nebraska and Away vs Wisconsin) I will say we sneak into the tourney. If we split or lose both, lets look forward to next year.

Loyalty is a very enviable quality. Acceptance of reality is often hard when passionate.

He just has to recruit at a much higher level. Look at all of the impact Freshmen in the conference this year.

There is absolutely no reasonable excuse to not have a more competitive roster at Michigan,

2 Likes

Watching this game has definitely convinced me that this is a very real possibility, probably more likely than not. And thatā€™s not something that accomplished veteran coaches should allow to happen, period.

This result, in this fashion, to this team feels like a turning point. If it is in fact a turning point, and you just saw it coming before the rest of us, then kudos. But, man, this is tough. Cheers to the chaos that is college basketball.

1 Like

If it makes you feel better I got into a pretty heated debate with a few ILL fans at the UM/ILL football game this year. I point blank asked the guy if youā€™re so confident about Groce, would you trade JB for Groce right nowā€¦and he replied no. I literally told him ā€œyouā€™re on crackā€. I feel like an absolute ass right about now

The only thing I can say is I am glad we arenā€™t Ohio St. At least we have that Penn St win or else I would not be mentally sane.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel either. There hasnā€™t been light there for 3 years with how heā€™s recruited. It may get marginally better next year but IMO thereā€™s a greater chance it gets exceptionally worse.

Well, to be fair, Groce has been terrible.

Which makes getting blown out by a Groce-led team even more unacceptable.

1 Like

Thatā€™s where Iā€™ve been ahead of the curve in evaluating his roster/recruiting composition. People get caught up in the winning (and rightfully so), but fail to see the direction because we all fall victim to the ā€˜this is a well oiled machineā€™ philosophy. In many ways, Trey Burke, Nik Stauskas, Caris Levert, and Mitch McGary were able to do for Beilein what Denard Robinson did for Brady Hokeā€¦mask his glaring deficiencies.

That said, I do believe the 17 class is an upgrade, unfortunately for us, its too little, too late.

1 Like