@Illinois Forum Thread

Saw a few St Louis Eagles games and I’d say Tim Finke is much closer to DR than Stauskas though he is more athletic than that and has more size.

Never thought Nick Richards would scare Bamba. Maybe if Bam Abedayo’s stock plummets like Bolden @ Duke then I’d feel more optimistic.

Took the words out of my mouth. Catch and shoot guy with decent athleticism. JM says he’s improved the handle though.

I’m not buying it.

He’s going big ten without a doubt and if he’s not on our team, you won’t be doubting it.

I was talking bamba

Second straight big man 5 star at duke to do so (chase jeter). Wonder if people like Bamba see that and are scared of duke. It could really help us land him if so.

If anyone needs a Happy Friday pick me up, this thread just made me so appreciative of how far the program has come in 2 years :slight_smile:

1 Like

The thing is, it’s really not that the program has come that far in two years. It’s that the team had two anomalous down years (mostly because of NBA early entrants and injuries, one year of which we still made the NCAA tourney), in what’s now an 8-9 year amazing run.

2011 - NCAA 2nd round
2012 - Big Ten Regular Season Title
2013 - NCAA Championship Game
2014 - Big Ten Regular Season Title, Elite 8
2016 - NCAA 1st round
2017 - Big Ten Tournament Title, Sweet 16
2018 - Big Ten Tournament Title, NCAA Championship Game
2019 - TBD

Enjoy the John Beilein era folks, it’s special.

5 Likes

I feel like my January 2017 posts have held up pretty well. :grinning:

2 Likes

By the way, Jamal Cain is averaging 2.6 points per game this year in 11.1 minutes per game, shooting .360 from the floor and .272 from three. As a freshman, he averaged four points per game last year.

I don’t know if he’s been hurt, or is just losing minutes. And I would agree that if JB were coaching him, his development would have been better. But he doesn’t look like an impact player in any way.

2 Likes

Damn, I know one “recruiting expert” whose posts from January 2017 did not hold up well…

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t want to go there, Dylan (understandably) doesn’t like that kind of stuff. I’ll say this, though - MattD was always critical of the way we played defense, and he was dead right about that. Hopefully he’s changed his tune a little on JB these days.

1 Like