@Illinois Forum Thread

Yeah JP is t as good as his highlights may suggest. I don’t mean that in a bad way, because he’s still a very good prospect. Just on an every possession basis he’s not a primary ball handler in any way

He is much more athletic than Poole, without question. His defense won’t be a liability either. Poole has the advantage in shooting and passing but that’s it. Shooting is pretty close IMO and with an improved handle, is going to be a batter player than Poole in college

I just always worry with guys like Poole who are supposedly great shooters but lack the EYBL or high school stats that we’ll get another Matt Vogrich, the “Best shooter in his class!” Poole has the high percentage this year but that’s probably with Bowen and Jackson each getting doubled full time to leave the rest of the players 4 on 1 (Only kinda sarcastic there).

Finke is no doubt a better athlete. The handle, and all other skill, is in favor of JP based on what I’ve witnessed live. Of course Finke may very well have improved

I just watched that game and wow. Our team did not adjust at all. The talent it down but belein has really let me down the last few years in x and o/ in game stuff, unreal really.

You’ve been around me too long lol. Same thing I said when comparing Poole to Greg

1 Like

No doubt about it. The overall talent on this roster probably wouldn’t win the MAC and I’m being serious. Not enough guys who play hard all the time and it’s making us look silly.

TJ Leaf would have helped tremendously.

2 Likes

Not just that, we’re just a very challenged team athletically. When you’re slow, can’t jump, and aren’t capable of quick twitch explosion you must compensate through effort. That word is not the forte of this coaching staff

Tremendously is an understatement. Geez I got that evaluation wrong

Leaf is an absolute stud and playing with ball must be an absolute blast. Not having to go 1 on 1 to get shots makes playing so much more fun. We don’t have anyone who makes anyone else better and it kills us.

It’s fine to have designated shooters like Duncan Robinson but there has to be creators to make them worth it. It’s kinda funny because I was quite happy when UNC got a commit from composite 220 Andrew Platek (Same EYBL team as Anthony Gaines so you might’ve seen him live a couple times) for the sole reason that he shot high thirties from deep on the circuit and in high school consistently. If Michigan got him I’d find Beilein and slap him for taking a one dimensional guy like that. Get a talented and balanced core and you can fill in around them a three point shooter, an athlete, a defensive anchor, etc. Trying to do that for your whole team is how we got where we are right now.

Ha, I didn’t remember one way or another what you said about him. He’s just really good at everything. Lotto pick for sure IMO. And I’d say Lonzo Ball is the best player in the country. Now that’s a team much like our 2012/13 team that might win it all with great offense and awful defense.

I disAgree slightly. They are not athletic but either was Illinois. This teams problems is between the ears. Defensively and offensively. The only thing I was happy about today is guys were attacking the rim. They couldn’t stop it without fouling (refs were really allowing blocks and bumps go). The problem is they lost composure and starting chasing them around like monkey in the middle on defense and panicked on offense.

I still see a recipe for this team to be very good on offense. I think belein is failing here. As for defense do they not scout players their guarding or adjust? That maverick kid could do nothing but face up and shoot off a pop. The fact that Wagner didn’t adjust of force him to move or dribble was amazing to me. He should have been in that kids chest. Typical oofy white American big ( I’m white) he just wants to shoot on pops or over smaller guys or open set shots. Make him do something else and he will struggle. He had one maybe two over the shoulders early but they struck me as lucky/ giving away positioning to close to the rim.

Now mind you I’m not saying their athletic but they showed when they play hard and smart they can defend. A lot of defense is will, communication, hustle and knowing your opponent. I saw them do it in the garden. We need that intensity and confidence.

Also side note Bamba is needed for his d. Early on Wilson was a one man machine and our rim protector the guys really followed him and he set the tone. We really need to lead there again.

Matt d these are the type of games where my boy Gaines or donnie tillmans of the world would be nice. Guys who just scrap, play strong and mix it up. I’d love to see a crafty energy guy like that in this class or 18.

I’m predicting a win at home. I’m not sure why but they need to get it together as players and decide what they want this season to be and come out playing for their lives from here on out.

I also think donnell needs touches. He can really shoot solid and when he’s involved he plays better all around. We need 8 points and 5 boards avg out of him off the bench. I really like our bigs offensively .

What was the press conference like?

JB looked like he was in shock. I think he even said as much during one of his answers.

I’m curious if we look at Mark Smith late if Bamba goes elsewhere.

I don’t put much stock into Crystal Balls, but Bamba was just CBd to…you guessed it, Kentucky

Unless he harbors desires of becoming a program savior I doubt he opts for us (or Texas).

1 Like