@Illinois Forum Thread

I feel Donlon is the guy for the job. Watch his former team and they competed their butts off for him and the stats showed it. We need something new, I do not want us to suffer 3-4 more years because we won’t make a change.

Ugh, the MSU takeover of Crisler is gonna be the worst it’s been under Beilein. I am not looking forward to that game.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to ask you guys this for a few weeks since it became obvious things were trending down - deep down did you guys know that things weren’t right over the past 3 years and that JB was likely the root of the problem and just didn’t want me to be correct?

I ask because about 1.5-2yrs ago I got a PM from BDW that essentially stated they know you’re telling the truth but they don’t want you to be correct because that means the program isn’t doing well

Nope. I was confident that Irvin and Walton would develop into the top 40 prospects they were said to be. Their/Beilein’s failure in that decimated the team. Even if just one of them became a reliable number one option we’d be in a totally different place IMO.

Honestly, no. I thought Injuries were a big part and I thought Walton would’ve made strides and he’s done the opposite. I truthfully feel after watching tonight from the third row that Walton is a huge reason for our problems. He isn’t vocal, doesn’t bring energy and he hasnt gotten better since his freshman year. I know that’s a lot to put on just one guy, but he misses wide open guys way too often and it kills the offense.

I think its been 3 seasons since we’ve hit baseline cutters consistently.

1 Like

Personally I think JBs downfall was threefold:

1. his evaluation skills have clearly taken a step back

2. his ability to develop has clearly taken a step back

3. his stubbornness precluded him from making sweeping changes when it was rather obvious that is what the situation called for in terms of recruiting, scheme, deference to assistants

1 Like

That’s true, and who has the ball most of the time. Walton. Numbers aside, has any part of Walton’s game evolved in 4 years? I honestly don’t think it has.

I agree he has regressed, but can you finally admit Zak Irvin was not a 5star talent!

That’s tough because he came in as a shooter and now does so much more. Is he a 5* nba level talent, no, but has he gotten a ton better to where he can run the team at times and hit big shots, yes.

That or one instant impact freshman would’ve likely cured the issues to a certain extent.

I haven’t watched Syracuse much this year. Do you think Battle makes this team respectable?

I honestly feel bad for Zak. I don’t think he can run a team at all, at least not a good one.

He is placed in a position to attempt that, and he’s simply not capable on the basis of skill or athleticism. Ideally he’s a third option on a good team going up against an average defender

I’ve seen a few games, and no I do not. His ceiling is pretty high but not from what I’ve seen.

Yeah Battle wouldn’t have done much for this team. Seth Towns on the other hand

Yeah, unlike Walton it usually seems like Zak is energized most of the time and gives his full effort, but simply comes up short. That’s not on him. That’s on the person who puts him in that situation.

Seth plays in a very poor league and is putting up mediocre numbers, he is not an impact guy on this team IMO.

3 TOs. 2 assists. 41%fg 11 points. 4 rebounds. In a poor league, come on now. He can be on the court, but would not be an impact guy right now.

Have to disagree here. 11,4, 2 as a freshman is impressive, even if not a P5 conference. That type of player would’ve made it much easier to have optimism for next year. Tyler Cook is another guy that could’ve helped this year

Walton’s two point percentage vs. kenpom tier A+B teams each year:
2014: 38%
2015: 30%
2016: 31%
2017: 28%

Yeah I’d say this is bad for a PG with an assist rate at 20%.