@Illinois Forum Thread

MSU might beat us by 30+.

1 Like

I just saw so much defensive hustle in that highlight reel. My God.

Hopefully I’m within my bounds to speak candidly now. The change should’ve been made at the end of last year but the Kam miracle shot changed perception, but not the trajectory.

But firing him now serves no purpose in my view.

@chezaroo I believe brought this up, but ummmm… two of the “wins” on my very pessimistic prediction we’ve already lost. 5-13 anyone?

Dammit Kam… Hurting us even after he left the program.

Don’t worry, like most bottom-dweller Big Ten teams, we’ll luck into a home win against a top end team.

He needs to go . I’m thankful for everything he has done here but this is insane. I watched the FSU Duke game ,and FSU has way more talent than us, and its embarrassing. Remember Dwayne Bacon and the pg at Rutgers ? They both wanted to visit but didn’t bc JB cooled on them bc they didn’t “FIT”. With that mindset I’m Positive if a Jalen Rose of today was born and raised in the D Michigan would not offer. Either you evolve on how you recruit or get left behind.

I disagree. Let Donlon show what he can do with this group. He is a defensive mind who has been told to hold his tongue and he’s exactly what this team needs. This group needs a fire lit under them and I feel our best option is to give him the reigns and show what he can do. Beilein may have lost this group and we don’t want 3 more years of it, lets get ahead of this train wreck.

In my brief history on this earth, from what I’ve been told by several coaches, When a team stops responding and playing hard for a coach, a change is coming. Why wait? I love Beilein just as much if not more than anyone, but he’s lost this group and it’s becoming more clear every game.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. I hated what I saw out there tonight. The defense was atrocious, as usual. I don’t know what’s happened between the SMU/Marquette games and now, but we went from being a team that cared, and gave strong effort defensively (with good results), to being awful on that end.

2. Two (very minor) bright spots on offense - MAAR and Wilson. Several more boneheaded plays from our seniors Walton and Irvin. They are just not very good.

3. The attitude of our athletic department toward basketball is that as long as we generally make the tourney, and do it cleanly, they will be happy. I know many of you don’t like to accept that, but it’s reality. And that’s why I don’t see JB going anywhere even if we miss the tourney.

4. But I would say this - if the new groups of players he brings in during 2017 and 2018 don’t show signs of competing for a Big Ten title at some point, we can’t and won’t continue down this path forever.

5. I know angry fans don’t like to be bothered with facts, but again, coaches and teams do have slumps. Jay Wright went from a Final Four, to a 13-18 season, to winning it all. Look at all the success Thad Matta has had over the years, and OSU is now is jeopardy of missing the tourney again (with a few highly ranked classes no less, though half the team did transfer). Matt Painter was very successful in his first five years at Purdue, then had two years in a row where his team finished under .500 and missed the tourney. Similarly, Mike Brey went 15-17 a few years back, and then won 32 the next year.

6. So, I think JB will be given a chance to show these last three years have been a fluke. And again, you can’t discount injuries - Caris (twice), Spike, Irvin, Walton. Those matter. But I don’t think he should or will get a pass forever.

2 Likes

JB deserved and earned this season. He deserves people’s criticism and disappointment, but I dont think anybody can deny that he earned this season. But, disagreeing with you seems like a fool’s errand, in this moment.

Not at all. I think he earned this year as well. However, If I were the AD and my job depended on the basketball program being successful for the next 5 years, I would’ve fired JB at the end of last season

The issue is that his job doesn’t depend on the program’s success in the slightest bit.

But it doesn’t. Football is the priority. And they would prefer a mediocre to decent basketball team over another Ed Martin situation.

1 Like

I agree now that we should’ve, but don’t make another mistake and let us finish 5-13 in the big ten and get blown out by shitty teams every week. Looking at our roster, how many big ten teams have less talent up n down the roster than we do? I can honestly say 3-4 teams MAYBE? That’s all on Beilein

Exactly. Harbaugh, period.

Someone needs to get Harbaugh to give them an ass kicking for their effort.

You have to be kidding me! I’ve been saying that to you for over a year and you battled me over it to no end lol

I was the ass of many jokes when I suggested Jim could get more out of this team then JB. I firmly believe it. Players will respond to Harbaugh, period.

If some kid who is 6’5 who committed to Tulane can come off the bench for 11 points and 5 rebounds and our starting center/power forward who are both 6’11 have 5 rebounds combined, SOMETHING has to change.