Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

Great post. I am hoping that Hoiberg relied on transfers because Ames is not a destination and the roster he inherited was really bad, but only Fred could tell you why he used transfers instead of recruits.

I do worry about the fall back options. I would hate to end up with a Brady Hoke equivalent. The football program can rebound, the basketball program needs stability.

I donā€™t like Beileinā€™s preference for slower tempo, but it does suit his teams well. Beilein wants to get in a jump shooting contest (i.e. limit turnovers, not go for turnovers, limit transition and donā€™t foul). His teams have been historically good at executing his game plan, which is to eliminate easy points and win a jump shooting contest when he usually has 2 or 3 of the best shooters in any one game. The problem we have now, is that he has recruited exclusively for shooters, and we lack athletes. I want to see a coach who will go get the athletes to compete at a high level and not rely on a philosophy, gimmick or system.

I am laughing right back at you.

Ok that settles it. Bennett is the next Coach K.

In 2014,15 and 16 they finished Top 6 in both KenPom and the AP poll every year. 29+ wins every year in that stretch. A Sweet 16 and an Elite 8. And every year in that stretch theyā€™ve produced a guy picked between 21-36 in the draft, all of which are currently producing in the NBA. And then they landed the #7 class nationally in 2016ā€¦

Iā€™m very confident Virginia will be making Final Fours under Bennett.

And here I thought I was the only one laughing in this thread. Better to laugh than cry, though, I suppose.

He wonā€™t be fired, but he looks super frustrated and worn down on the sidelines. It would not shock me if he retired.

Weā€™ll see, each year they lose to a team with better athletes. Not a coincidence IMO.

Plus, maybe youā€™re right. If JB retires, you certainly have to gauge his interest at a minimum, right? Iā€™m a big Gregg Marshall fan too. He can really coach.

Bennett is a no brainer if it were plausible

2 Likes

Iā€™m really surprised people arenā€™t higher on Marshall, too.

He made the FF (knocking off OSU in the Elite Eight), and had Louisville beat. The next year, he went undefeated and had Wichita as a #1 seed, losing in the final seconds to a loaded Kentucky team that then beat us. I mean, those accomplishments drawf anyone else weā€™re talking about, except maybe Bennett. And Marshall was great at Winthrop before that.

There is a Koch brothers-Marshall connection keeping him at WSU, no?

Does everyone feel that Donlon isnā€™t a realistic option? I think he could do pretty well here.

We can do way better at least in terms of stature/resume. Unless you think JB is completely handcuffing him, I donā€™t know that we have seen his imprint in a way where we can say he has made a significant impact aside from short stretches of defensive consistency (but still pretty infrequent).

Iā€™ll pass on Donlon, based on what I have seen from this team on defense.

Juwan Howard anyone?

Ill take any of the Fab 5 as an Assistant

Iā€™m less optimistic than others here about the caliber of coach Michigan could pull away from their existing gig. I could see Warde keeping Donlon on contract while negotiating with candidates and allowing him to interview for the job.

I also agree to not make the change in mid season because this team could shoot itself to an upset win on any night. That win wouldnā€™t be a fair reflection on Donlonā€™s abilities in the lead chair.

There isnā€™t a Harbaugh candidate out there. I donā€™t believe that there is a Hoke candidate out there. If you are going outside the program for your next coach, you need someone who views this job as a destination job. Iā€™m sure others disagree.

Soā€¦Assistant Coach Jimmy King, then? Iā€™m not sure a new coach from the outside would want that.

I would prefer that JB finishes the season almost no matter the results. As for Donlon I just do not think he is high enough profile to recruit at the level needed to compete at a level that matches most expectations. In the short term we need a coach who can get more out of less until they either develop what we have now and on the way while landing big time recruits in 2018.