How we match up against IU, MSU

I would call Goins a big, yes. Do you think he can guard Irvin in the PNR game?

Here’s the MSU rotation over the last 3 games:

Clark/Bess – MSU’s small lineups – have essentially been eliminated.

1 Like

I agree that our offense poses challenges for MSU with the ball screen game, but I think the bigger question is who are we matching up against them defensively? There’s not one defensive matchup I like…except for maybe Zak on Valentine, which I know probably won’t happen because of what Dylan stated above, we’ll probably need Zak on one of their bigs, no? (I’m writing this as if Caris won’t play, but obviously that changes the dynamic slightly if he does suit up)

Interested to hear all of your thoughts.

1 Like

Would hate the matchup of Zak on Valentine, he struggles to keep anyone in front of him. Figure MAAR probably draws Denzel. Irvin on whoever plays the four. Watlon on Harris, Duncan on Forbes.

On MSU’s side … Who guards Irvin? Who guards Duncan?

Goins is listed at 6-6 and he doesn’t shoot 3s,so I guess he’s a big, but I wouldn’t really think of a lineup of him and one of the others as a classic two-big lineup. He’s a guy you help off of – make him do anything other than dunk the ball and it’s a win defensively. (Really that applies to Schilling too, and to some extent the other MSU bigs). I do think Goins is pretty capable of guarding Irvin in PnR sets.

The issue for me is who does Robinson guard? I personally would put Walton on Forbes.

I guess I just think of anyone who doesn’t dribble or shoot outside of 8 feet and mostly just sets screens and crashes the glass as a big man.

I put Walton on the guy that can do things off the bounce (Harris) and Robinson on Forbes where he is more limited off the bounce and DR can maybe makeup for some of his liabilities with his length.

I suppose you’re right, but I’m not sure, say, Javon Bess does much different for them – maybe dribbles a bit more?

I’m trying to disrupt their 2nd best scorer. In no way do I want Forbes going off.

That’s definitely fair. Think you could probably make an argument either way. And in reality, Michigan is going to switch so much on the perimeter that it might not matter.

Going to see a lot of zone. I see Izzo putting his guards in the crossing play a ton. Frees up shooters and allows post up

Yes - in retrospect, I wasn’t thinking of Denzel’s driving ability as much as I was his pull-up jumper which I think is not ideal for MAAR as he can shoot over him. But MAAR (and hopefully Caris) would be best defensive matchup for sure.

I think this will be primarily a man-to-man defense game, as I feel Izzo has the weapons to expose a 1-3-1 zone pretty quickly, so to your point above the perimeter guys will probably do a lot of switching. They just better talk out there…a LOT.