Harold Baruti '16 in on his way to an OV at UM

His numbers are good being that he played for a extremely deep team with a powers forward who committed WVU. Also this only his second year of organized basketball. From all accounts he is tough, some what skilled and athletic. I wish that he was a earlier prospect because I would’ve like to see him live but he played for a talented team and against top comp.

1 Like

Dylan makes the same point above. I like this possibility more and more. My sense–this might prove critical–is that if Beilein wants him he must think that Baruti can hit the three. Only two years of organized ball and he plays like that. . .

He will commit soon after the visit, IMO. Give me motor ALL DAY. I actually like what he brings.

Hopefully he toughens up DJ and Duncan in practice as well.

1 Like

I completely agree and I really believe that his outside game can approve. I really see him as a good fit. I would be very happy if we can pick him up. If Larry Brown wants him - so do I.

I really believe that his jumper can be improved. He probably didn’t shoot many being that all of his highlights were very athletic dunks. I don’t think that this guy will miss dunks like Aubrey did. On a side note: I love our new assistant coaches. I would offer thisnkid especially if Larry Brown likes him. It’s same with Ibi Watson, his Indiana offer , seeing him live and a couple AAU MVP tournament awards on the talented team that he played for says a lot for me. Not to mention his second team all Ohio ranking in a very talent rich Ohio. I think that we are fine. I really like the film. We have four scholarships for next year if we off and he accept.

Just watched his film, count me in. I think he could come off the bench in spurts and be our OG Anunoby.

Also his point guard wore #10 and looked exactly like Derrick Walton from afar and I enjoyed the video significantly more because of this haha

2 Likes

His shot doesn’t look that bad to me. Beilein does a great job with improving guys shots. Definitely has the motor this team desperately needs. My comparison was mainly that I believe the goal for both of these guys was to get the 3 and d out of them.

1 Like

Kid can turn into Vic Oladipo in 2-3 years under coach B.

MattD makes a good point, although I’d restate it slightly.

Can this player help us this season? It’s really as simple as that. If you believe he can, then sign him, by all means. But if you don’t think there’s a good chance of him being in the rotation this season, then you’re better off waiting. You’ll have more time to recruit the spot for 2017, and all you’re giving up is garbage-time production this upcoming season.

I don’t think you can just say, well, we’ll still have 3 spots to play with anyway. You need to be as strategic and opportunistic as possible with every spot.

2 Likes

Ditto what JBair said. His shot form looks ok–I think he can do better than 30 percent but honestly there is so much athleticism and strength there I don’t care if he his a poor 3 point shooter.I don’t like the Dawkins comparisons at all. They are both good leapers but this guy is also a good leaper under the basket jumping from a standstill or near standstill. He looks like he is a less polished shooter but he seems to be a way more aggressive and passionate version of GR3. I always like those guys wearing number zero!

How does he compare to that guy from IMG who just committed to Wisconsin?

From the film I’ve seen I do like the angry dunkage.

1 Like

He looks like an Indiana player; someone Tom Crean would go after.
Seems like he could be a terror early on, settings picks and rolling hard to the basket.
I like the Ray Jackson comparison. I would say more explosive than Jackson, but not as polished, not that Ray Jackson was a polished basketball player as a frosh.
Anyway… Yeah, sure, I think he would be a fine addition to M basketball.

I could see him being like OG Annunoby. Very similar games

Just watched the film. For the most part, he moves with a purpose when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. We don’t really have anyone else on the current roster that does that. Plays angry. This is a “role player” that makes sense, even if his impact isn’t felt in year 1.

2 Likes

What’s the premium on depth though?

That’s the hard question. You may only need him for 5-10 minutes. But we only have 6 guards/wings for the 4 guard/wing spots (plus Wilson). So it’s a gamble if you don’t fit a spot this season…ideally it’s a graduate transfer but I really think with the scholarship openings, you can afford to take 1 late add like Baruti.

Highlights versus Huntington Prep (w/Miles Bridges, Thomas Bryant, Levi Cook) from 2014
Youtube

BTW, 6’11" wingspan, no wonder he dunks so easily.

3 Likes

These are highlights, but this guy plays with a certain ferocious joy that I think we could use.

2 Likes

I thought it looked like he had longer than normal arms.

I think he’s better then ford off the highlights for whoever asked.

Aubrey was perfectly fine as an offensive player. Not a starter (nor is this kid likely to be), but he provided solid offense off the bench. His problem was that he was an utterly atrocious defender. If this kid is Aubrey on offense and can figure out a way to use his athleticism to become a plus defender, I’d take him in a second.

1 Like