Harold Baruti '16 in on his way to an OV at UM

I’m afraid that–other than back door cuts and offensive rebounds, which this team needs–Baruti will not bring the offensive game that UofM fans are accustom to. I would be happy, though, if he could play 5-10 minutes of good defense against opposing 4s. Then, Id just hope Beilein develops the rest of his offensive game (I think Beilein is one of the best “shooting” coaches in the game)

1 Like

I would look at a Baruti offer as more of a reflection of the 2016 grad transfer landscape, than their expectations for the 2017 class. I know JB likes guys he can develop, but I think he must know that grad transfers are the most efficient, and probably most productive way, to fix 2016-17 roster concerns.

No offense, but what UM fans are accustomed to is soft/passive players. Baruti doesn’t strike me as that. We need someone that can give us garbage points and non-stop motor. Baruti appears to be much closer to that in relation to most recruits we’ve obtained in the past.

2 Likes

As I wrote above… You take Baruti and there are three scholarships to give next season in addition to Poole. Not necessarily a small class, which affects at least some of that decision I bet. I’d like to see one of each personally, but we’ll see where things go.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure what I wrote shows that I agree with you, and wouldn’t take offense to that. I am saying exactly that: his offensive game wont fit the typical ‘Michigan 4’ offensive scheme. I think it’s a good thing, but I, like you, would be much happier about it if he was taller and/or (especially) a grad transfer because I have high hopes for 2017 (and it seems like the staff does, too).

Edit: my point was basically what Dylan wrote above. 2017 has enough spots that I dont think Baruti reflects our 2017 plans.

1 Like

If Baruti really did shoot 40% from 3 as a junior (on 100 attempts), that would be pretty promising. Might be a pretty key thing, whether he could be a decent (e.g., 33-35%) 3pt shooter. Seems like a guy who could fill a roll at least off the bench and has the potential for more. Not bad at all for a late add situation.

1 Like

You took the words out of my mouth. I was gonna respond with I think that’s a good thing, although I do still believe we need someone who can hit the threes more consistently if we plan on chucking them.

Also his form and balance look right so he could improve his percentage with more work anyways.

2 Likes

I really like what I saw. Would not mind him coming here. I think he could pan out to be a very solid under rated player

I get why people are making the Dawkins comparison: Baruti does have a certain resemblance in the way he moves and his shooting form. However, Baruti is a significantly more powerful athlete. Even when he takes contact, he can get up and finish strong. And he appears to have hands that Dawkins doesn’t because he controls the ball consistently with a single hand.

I’m a little puzzled by the lack of high major interest. Mountain Mission is tiny and in the ass end of Virginia, but they obviously played against some highly scouted opponents because his highlights include games against Oak Hill and Huntington Prep. It can’t be an academic issue because Beilein wouldn’t even bother to have him in if it were. Although English is probably at most his 3rd language after Swahili and French, he seems sufficiently fluent to be on a US college team, so probably not a communication issue.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

The ideal scenario would be to pair Baruti with a grad transfer. Baruti is very raw, having not played much organized ball, so I don’t see him proving much next year, but he has lots of athleticism which is sorely needed on this roster. Adding a grad transfer as well, would give us potentially more impact next year without further impacting 2017 recruiting. Whether there is a grad transfer that fits the bill, however, is still unknown.

Tell me I’m crazy here–if I’m looking at that film and told I have to compare him to a past Michigan player, it’s early Ray Jackson. Not that he’s as polished as Ray was even when he arrived in Ann Arbor, but that’s who he reminds me of.

As to your point about taking away a spot from '17s, we now have a lot of '17 and '18 spaces. If we think he can play–add things we don’t have and possibly be molded into more than he is now, given his lack of basketball background–I wouldn’t let space be a stopper here.

3 Likes

Really good take, and spot on with poor man’s Ray Jackson. As you say, Ray a bit more skilled in terms of ballskills, etc. I think ideally, we would land an impact grad transfer so as to keep open scholarships for 17, but that’s most likely fairy tale thinking.

I like the Ray Jackson comparison, too. It’d be really nice to have a guy like that on this team — the guy you put in to be the junkyard dog, just go get the ball, sow chaos under the glass, etc.

Of course we can (and IMO should) take a grad transfer as well even if we take this kid, as we’re two under now. That would fill the available spot for '16, keep another open spot for '17, and get somebody who would likely be more ready to contribute this year than would Baruti, who is raw.

I don’t care if he shoots 25%.

We need athleticism.
We need guys with a motor.
We need physical/strong guys.
We need someone that can defend the 4 or big (strong) wings.
We need a slasher on offense.
We need a “junk yard” dog.

10 Likes

I really like this kid’s film. Far from an Aubrey Dawkins type of player IMO.

I’m okay with using a scholarship on him. Need some dog on the team and him paired with X will bring it.

4 Likes