Harold Baruti '16 in on his way to an OV at UM

I’d probably like to see 1 grad transfer, 1 2016 guy. I think Michigan has the spots to support that. You need at least a body I think to backup the three and it isn’t like a late signee is going to scare away 2017 guys.

If you take a late-add there are still three open spots for 2017 in addition to Poole (Donnal coming back would be another option).

1 Like

Looks like he was the team’s leading scorer, so he may been in the position of having to take a lot of shots regardless of quality. And yeah, not sure what to make of high school stats.

1 Like

Right, and with two years of organized hoops behind him? He could make Beilein look like a genius once again. But does he contribute next year?

Seems like the consensus among most scouts is that he’s a MM type, but MMs can get HM interest late.

Ok from that highlight reel he is much better then I expected. Especially silly since he’s a three star. He is very athletic and actually looks pretty strong and powerful. I don’t see any clips of his d but just by the way he moves around I could see him being a tough strong defender. Also if Larry brown is after him you’d assume he was a tough player/ defender. I like kostas more because of length and potential but I could see this kid translTing quicker. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if of all the frosh besides x he’d be most game ready. Also he looks to be playing top comp so stats could be misleading. I think he’d be a great steal for a mid major. for U.S. I think he’s a good fit actually. I would not mind an offer. I envision him as a strong athletic/ tough player. Something we could really use.

1 Like

Agree. Seems like exactly what we need at this time. High school film looks exactly like aubrey’s did, except this guy has a lot more muscle to him already with much better lateral quickness. Here’s to hoping Beilein has found himself another diamond in the rough.

High school film looks exactly like Aubrey’s did?

Ummm… If that is the case, this kid is exactly what we do not need.

Ok just watched his junior film now. He seems to play with a high motor. He appears to also play solid d with some steLs and nice blocks in those videos. He looks to be a nice rebounder for his size to and he crashes the glass a lot. One clip he bodies a much taller player right out of the way. He looks like he plays hard. Maybe he’s secretly 25 but who cares I like it.

I also like how he appears to like to take people in the high post or down low, he seems like he has some solid turn arounds and spin moves with his back turned. Maybe these type of shots hurt his percentage? I don’t know, but he could develop those tools me thinks. I like his film more then Aleem fords.

He kind reminds me of Donnie Tillman but tillmans handle and creativity is greater. He looks like an smu/ brown guy. Only two years organized to? Pretty impressive. I think belein could really work with him. I wonder how long he’s known about him/seen him play?

1 Like

Different player than we are use to but hope JB sees what else is around rather than throwing an offer right away. Trying to think would he be JB’s rawest, most athletic recruit ever?

Hope we fill both ships but with at least 1 grad transfer if not both.

Did u watch it?

I’m responding to John who compared the kids game to Aubrey and then said it’s exactly what we need.

I’m just laughing now.

He said Aubrey with more muscle and better lateral quickness. I.e. capable of potentially playing solid defense, with the shooting. Trying to add an immediate impact primary scorer at this juncture is probably a pipe dream (except through a grad transfer).

The question to me isn’t if he is capable of playing at this level. It’s if we’d rather have him in this class or try and use that scholarship for the 2017 class.

Bacon, do yourself a favor and pretend this guy doesn’t exist. It’s not worth anybody’s time. Baruti could have a tole this year as a d and 3 guy. I’d be more than happy with this pickup if he can show he can play with guys just as big and athletic as he is.

3 Likes

That might be Colton Christian.

This guy doesn’t look THAT raw to me. I think Dawkins is a pretty good comparison, for what it’s worth. Wonder if he can defend.

That is not a positive comparison regardless of what caveat is thrown in there.

Why don’t you comment on the actual film and add your opinion instead of just taking pot shots at other people’s opinions.

11 Likes

well when we’re talking late adds, you get what you get sometimes.

I don’t have a problem with 1 of Kam or Aubrey. Not everyone will project to be a starter or all-B10 player. You need role players/system players/4 year players IMO to fill gaps.

I don’t think Aubrey is a good comparison just based on film.
…Aubrey was all offense, no defense. He was a 3 and D type player.
…Baruti looks more like a slasher/defender/rebounder IMO Much more like a GR3 type position where he is a 3/4 on defense. Aubrey was just a 3 and couldn’t defend it well.

1 Like

How is a more laterally athletic Aubrey Dawkins a bad thing? Give Aubrey an ounce of defensive awareness and more lateral quickness and he’s a prototypical “3 and D” guy (I put those in quotes because now a days you just have to be average at defense to be called that) who fits very well on our roster at the backup 3. Either way I agree with the previous comment that he’d likely play a much more physical and inside type role for us.

Not sure he has the 3-point shooting part of that equation. I think the hope would be that he could be a slash and D type. Tough to judge.

4 Likes

Just watched his film. I’ll be honest, I don’t think his film looks all that bad. I would much prefer if he were 6’8, but even so, he appears to have decent form on his shot in terms of balance, obviously athletic in terms of verticality and strength.

I don’t think Aubrey Dawkins is a very good comparison. Aubrey had nowhere near the quick twitch explosion in relation to Baruti. Aubrey would have to collect himself and go off 2 legs on most occasions and was often off balance/falling down. Baruti is far superior to Dawkins in terms of strength and balance, and appears to be significantly more mobile in terms of lateral movement as well.

I think Baruti looks more like GR3 in HS with less ball skills IMO. Doesn’t have quite the handling ability that GR3 did in HS, but appears to be equal in terms of strength, verticality, and shooting.

For me the question is this - does Baruti provide enough next year to justify absorbing a scholarship from a 17 player that is better? Based on that film, I’d probably say no. I don’t think Baruti takes this team from a bubble/bubble + team next year to a solid tourney team/legit B10 contender. BUT, if the staff thinks this is the best they can get in relation to a 17 prospect, might be worth a swing.

7 Likes