Great addition in Mortiz Wagner

Wagner turns 18 later this month. He will be in Ann Arbor in June. The kid has a couple of things going for him. He’s motivated, a gym rat, and understands the game (based partly on some comments about Beilein’s offense on another site). His upside could be big, IMO. He will be schooled on the fine points of footwork and such. I can’t compare him to anyone else, just not enough to go on.

Wagner turns 18 later this month. He will be in Ann Arbor in June. The kid has a couple of things going for him. He's motivated, a gym rat, and understands the game (based partly on some comments about Beilein's offense on another site). His upside could be big, IMO. He will be schooled on the fine points of footwork and such. I can't compare him to anyone else, just not enough to go on.

I love the energy, just seems like the kid wants to play hard and fast…which is why I like him more than Wilson. I think Wagner definitely has some potential down the road.

I think Moe looks equal to or better than Benzing did. Benzing ended up being a very good player that had serious NBA consideration. Also, the other international player Beilein had interest in was Niels Giffey who ended up being a major contributor on a national championship team and a little bit of a look in the draft as well. I think you’re looking at a contributor in Moe for sure. A guy that can play the 4 or 5. I think he has more athletecism than given credit for, and he is definitely not a Smotrycz level athlete. Seems to have a motor too.

I think Moe looks equal to or better than Benzing did. Benzing ended up being a very good player that had serious NBA consideration. Also, the other international player Beilein had interest in was Niels Giffey who ended up being a major contributor on a national championship team and a little bit of a look in the draft as well. I think you're looking at a contributor in Moe for sure. A guy that can play the 4 or 5. I think he has more athletecism than given credit for, and he is definitely not a Smotrycz level athlete. Seems to have a motor too.

I hope you are right on all counts. It’s hard to tell with young Euros, but Moritz just does not seem to have any one elite skill.

He frankly sounds a lot like Chatman. They both have good length,but they aren’t very strong or athletic and they aren’t great shooters.

Was just thinking about it…does Wagner remind anybody else of a poor man’s Andrei Kirilenko? Don’t think Wagner will be anywhere near the defender Kirilenko was, at least in terms of perimeter defense, but there just seems to be some similarity in terms of body type and offensive game.

I think Moe looks equal to or better than Benzing did. Benzing ended up being a very good player that had serious NBA consideration. Also, the other international player Beilein had interest in was Niels Giffey who ended up being a major contributor on a national championship team and a little bit of a look in the draft as well. I think you're looking at a contributor in Moe for sure. A guy that can play the 4 or 5. I think he has more athletecism than given credit for, and he is definitely not a Smotrycz level athlete. Seems to have a motor too.

I hope you are right on all counts. It’s hard to tell with young Euros, but Moritz just does not seem to have any one elite skill.

He frankly sounds a lot like Chatman. They both have good length,but they aren’t very strong or athletic and they aren’t great shooters.

You really think Moe is as unathletic as Chatman…or Donnal?

Not directed at me, but I’ll chime in. I think Wagner is more athletic than both Donnal or Chatman, but he does have ‘robotic’ like movements if that make sense. Seems stiff to a certain degree, and just uncoordinated in certain movements in my opinion. Kind of similar to some of the things we seen in the HS film of both Donnal and Wilson. Guys like that generally are project type players if history tells us anything. I think Wagner can be a pretty decent player down the road in 2-3 years, but I’m not expecting any major contribution next year like some.

How many programs in the country can realistically expect to reach consecutive Final 4s on a consistent basis?

I think there are many whether you look at an elite 8, then a final four like MSU did. Naturally if you reach 2 straight elite 8’s you have the ability to make a Final Four. This discussion is moot now though because Michigan didn’t even make the tourney. They took a few steps back this year.

I know someone asked before, but I don’t think it was answered. How is his name pronounced?

JBlair wrote: “Does anyone know when Moritz plans to come over? Wondering if there’s any chance he hits up Camp Sanderson.”

Good question, for sure. Could make a fair lot of difference in how soon he sees the floor. Despite the naysaying, I think he could prove to be a star. Gonna come back and haunt people if he does. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know when Moritz plans to come over? Wondering if there's any chance he hits up Camp Sanderson

June. Another enrollee in Camp Sanderson.

http://michigandaily.com/sports/wagner%E2%80%99s-coach-teammates-endorse-his-commitment-michigan

Taken from another board, but a Michigan daily piece with some quotes from Wagner’s coach and teammates. Former Villanova guard Reggie Redding is at Alba Berlin, so it’s good to know that he had and has someone to talk to back in Germany about the adjustment to the American style. Said he’s hungry and has a great attitude to get better.

As should have been learned from many previous examples, coach hype and teammate hype are meaningless. Does everyone here still remember how Mark Donnal was lauded by Jordan Morgan? How’d that turn out?

Nothing matters except proven performance on the floor, against real competition. Nothing.

It isn’t like Mo is playing against high schoolers.

As should have been learned from many previous examples, coach hype and teammate hype are meaningless. Does everyone here still remember how Mark Donnal was lauded by Jordan Morgan? How'd that turn out?

Nothing matters except proven performance on the floor, against real competition. Nothing.

Guess this whole recruiting thing is just for schmucks.

As should have been learned from many previous examples, coach hype and teammate hype are meaningless. Does everyone here still remember how Mark Donnal was lauded by Jordan Morgan? How'd that turn out?

I have to agree. I have my doubts about Wagner but I hope he proves me wrong. Either way we won’t really know until we see him on the floor against real completion. Chatman began the season as starter but when real completion showed up he was exposed.

Tired of hearing people complaining about Chatman and Donnal after one year of playing. Morgan didn’t look all that great after his first year of playing either. Bigs often need some time to develop. Besides, Donnal has been playing out of position. Would like to see how he would do as a four.

I don’t think Donnal has a prayer to play the 4 position. He has no ball handling ability what’s so ever.

Champs the issue with both is the majority of the year it looked like it was their first year ever playing the sport. I’ll give you Chatman that many fans(including myself) are giving up on him too early. With Donnal though it’s going to be a long time before/if he gets better.

On offense, if Donnal can set a solid screen, there’s a solid chance he could be a good pick and pop player. So I don’t think I’m gonna write him off on that end of the floor just yet. On defense though, he’s just gotta toughen up. He looks no bueno on that end of the floor and on the boards. Kid needs a shot of confidence too. Looks discouraged out on the floor.

I am wondering if most peoples expectations for both Donnal and Chatman were raised based on all the chatter. You know the whole Donnal looks great in practice and Chatman could be the next Jalen Rose. Both of which were obviously not the case when it came to game time.

As for Donnal and his ability to play the 4 it will all depend on his ability to hit the open jumper no matter if it comes from the corner on the high pick and pop. On defense he simply can not cover a 4 unless they play a zone which very well could happen. If that is the case he needs to be a better rebounder in his area, meaning get after the ball at its highest point and fight for it.

Chatman on the other hand looks like he could become the odd man out. All the length that has been added means he will have to trend towards the 3 or even 2 spot, both of which mean he will need to handle the ball with confidence and hit the open jumper.

Either way both players will now be in a dog fight for minutes which I like; the more competitive the practices are the better the team will be in the end.