Great addition in Mortiz Wagner

With Mortiz Wagner joining the team, what does he bring to the table and how does he effect the rotation?

Im curious as to what exactly he brings to the table. A 6’9 kid that is a below average shooter, average athlete, and doesn’t appear to be a ball handler. Just don’t see the need for it at this particluar point because he doesn’t fill a need, but perhaps he will turn out nicely in 2-3 years from now.

Im curious as to what exactly he brings to the table. A 6'9 kid that is a below average shooter, average athlete, and doesn't appear to be a ball handler. Just don't see the need for it at this particluar point because he doesn't fill a need, but perhaps he will turn out nicely in 2-3 years from now.

It will defiantly be interesting to see how he turns out. He seems to have a decent skill set but teams like Duke were interested in him and NBA scouts wanted to know about him. Should be fun to see how he develops with JB next to him.

I think a guy like Wagner is a good role player to have when surrounded by good talent, but individually I don’t think he’s a ll that good right now. Don’t think he’s an instant impact kind of guy we need (we need ballhandling and perimeter speed badly), but he could be a nice get in 3 years. I do love his passion for the game…I wish we could’ve replaced Wilson with Wagner last year, but those 2 are essentially the same player in the same class.

He's a bit of a project, but could be a solid role player down the line. I think he will play, this season, but I wouldn't necessarily look for more than 5 minutes a game from him unless LeVert leaves and we don't land Brown. In that case, Beilein may end up giving more time to bigger 4s, and Wagner will have more minutes to compete for. Wilson and Chatman will almost certainly be ahead of him, though, and he will have to work hard to see the floor much.

I agree he’s a bit of a project. I think Wagner is a RS candidate for two reasons:

1. M returns so much talent.
  2. Wagner looks like he needs to get stronger.

I also think Coach Beilein can do wonders for his shot.
Skill wise he can help right away, and might, but it’s a nice luxury to have the depth to weigh the options.
For 6’9" he’s a fluid athlete; looks like a kid who can run the floor, cut, handle the ball, compete on the boards, etc.
Coach Beilein appears to be on the cusp of having a sustainable, well stocked program, moreso than at any other juncture of his time at M.
The future is bright

Just wondering about your “so much talent” comment? Care to clarify? Reason why I ask is that I just do not see many players on this roster that could start on this year elite teams. Other than Caris of course and there is a debate to be had that on some teams he would be the 6th or 7th man.

He's a bit of a project, but could be a solid role player down the line. I think he will play, this season, but I wouldn't necessarily look for more than 5 minutes a game from him unless LeVert leaves and we don't land Brown. In that case, Beilein may end up giving more time to bigger 4s, and Wagner will have more minutes to compete for. Wilson and Chatman will almost certainly be ahead of him, though, and he will have to work hard to see the floor much.

I agree he’s a bit of a project. I think Wagner is a RS candidate for two reasons:

1. M returns so much talent.
  2. Wagner looks like he needs to get stronger.

I also think Coach Beilein can do wonders for his shot.
Skill wise he can help right away, and might, but it’s a nice luxury to have the depth to weigh the options.
For 6’9" he’s a fluid athlete; looks like a kid who can run the floor, cut, handle the ball, compete on the boards, etc.
Coach Beilein appears to be on the cusp of having a sustainable, well stocked program, moreso than at any other juncture of his time at M.
The future is bright

He’s a bit of a project, but could be a solid role player down the line. I think he will play, this season, but I wouldn’t necessarily look for more than 5 minutes a game from him unless LeVert leaves and we don’t land Brown. In that case, Beilein may end up giving more time to bigger 4s, and Wagner will have more minutes to compete for. Wilson and Chatman will almost certainly be ahead of him, though, and he will have to work hard to see the floor much.

This kids future will be interesting to follow, hopefully he has a very high ceiling and work ethic to get there. All that said the one thing I love unlike many others is that it seems to create a bit of a logjam at the 3, 4 and 5 spots which I am hoping generates some heated battles leading to more toughness and improved play at all of those positions.

It will be interesting to see what role he has. There have been complete opposites in the opinion of his game.

Totally agree, just hard to get a grasp on his game considering the style/talent level Mo is playing against. Contrary to some reports, I find it extremely hard to believe thathe can create his own shot, whereas I think he’s a better athlete than the reports give him credit for. I would love to see more film of him shooting from deep to really get a gauge on what type of player he is.

Not to mention most likely he’s fighting Chatman, Doyle, Donnal, Wilson all for playing time at either the 4 or 5.

It will be interesting to see what role he has. There have been complete opposites in the opinion of his game.

Totally agree, just hard to get a grasp on his game considering the style/talent level Mo is playing against. Contrary to some reports, I find it extremely hard to believe thathe can create his own shot, whereas I think he’s a better athlete than the reports give him credit for. I would love to see more film of him shooting from deep to really get a gauge on what type of player he is.

Length is so overrated in my opinion. It’s pretty much useless unless combined with athleticism.

Bottom line for me, if Wagner can shoot he will be serviceable, if not, I don’t know that he brings anything to the table.

Great get.
Way to go Coach Beilein!
This is going to be one heckuva fun team to watch for the next 3 years.
The most underrated aspect of the Wolverines going forward is going to be their length.

1 Like
Another 2 year project.

He’ll contribute eventually, to what extent, I have no idea. Hard to tell off his tape and I’m always cautious of Euro players

I guess I’ll trust JB with this one. With only a D3 recruit in the fold for 2015, you take what you can get.

Mark Pratt, an end of the bench guy at the Ohio Northern says this.

Hopefully he is a good pickup but after seeing J.Bs track record in big men outside McGary I won’t hold my breath . he keeps searching for another Pittsnogle ,but maybe Pittsnogle was a once in a lifetime player for him.

I would just love a big whose film demonstrates without a doubt the ability to rebound. Just one…somehow I don’t think Wagner will be very good on the glass.

Another 2 year project.

He’ll contribute eventually, to what extent, I have no idea. Hard to tell off his tape and I’m always cautious of Euro players

I guess I’ll trust JB with this one. With only a D3 recruit in the fold for 2015, you take what you can get.

He’s a terrific addition…I love his length and activity. Certainly is raw but he’ll add strength and refine his skills. I love this pick up!

@ Ace_maker4
I am talking about where Wagner is relative to the rest of the guys on M’s roster. Clearly not going to be enough minutes for all these guys, so my uneducated guess is, Wagner may be afforded the opportunity to RS.
I think M has a deep talented roster. The biggest issue, imo, was youth, inexperience, and injury, not talent. Now, you can argue there isn’t talent on this roster, but then, you and I would disagree.