Duncan Robinson

ReDonkulous. He went D 3 for a reason. And. We can't land our choices. Last three are marr, Dawkins & this dude. This will not compete in big 10 or nationally. Dream on if you think it will.

Every team needs role players, i don’t mind having a few more Spikes and J-Mo on the team. They do provide stability to the program and do not scare away potential high flying recruits who wants immediate playing time.

Wow, really shocked by the negativity on this thread. I love the kid's highlights, great shooter. It's a push for me with him and Coleman, given that Coleman is dragging his feet and Robinson is already a) older and b) knows the offense. Coleman may have the higher ceiling, but make no mistake about it: this kid is legit and a perfect fit for the Beilein offense.

C’mon now, I think Robinson is decent and can be a good role player with his combination of size and shooting, but a push between Robinston and Coleman? I think some people are taking this whole “if JB likes it, it must be right because he’s winning” thing to an extreme. In no way, shape or form is Robinson equal or a push to Coleman.

How old is Duncan Robinson? He did a prep year and a year of college so 21?

Want an answer on this to gauge potential.

The age thing is huge in distinguishing Caris, Nik, Tim and Trey from Spike, MAAR, Dawkins, Robinson. Doesn’t mean an older guy can’t make it but different points of development.

I can't see Walton, LeVert, Irvin being worse as a perimeter trio than last year

One can hope, but ALOT more is going to asked from them on the offensive end this year too. Hard to see all three not logging 30+ minutes sans foul trouble, inevitable wearing down that sometimes translates to defensive performance. I have zero faith in Irvin as a competent perimeter defender from what I saw last year, Caris was not even remotely the defensive stopper he was advertised to be, and Walton meh. Another variable is no JMo. Even though he wasn’t a rim protector per se, his experience and savvy will be sorely missed.

I’d take Irvin over Stauskas on D everytime

Caris and Walton’s biggest issue was being bodied to the rim (i.e. Iowa State for Caris an Kentucky for Walton)

ReDonkulous. He went D 3 for a reason. And. We can't land our choices. Last three are marr, Dawkins & this dude. This will not compete in big 10 or nationally. Dream on if you think it will.

Every team needs role players, i don’t mind having a few more Spikes and J-Mo on the team. They do provide stability to the program and do not scare away potential high flying recruits who wants immediate playing time.

Everyone can agree to this but that 2016 class has to be massive

Walton’s biggest issued was being bodied, Caris’ biggest issue was lack of attention to off ball movement…all I can think of is Caris getting lost OVER and OVER and OVER vs. Duke. Caris’ on ball defense is above average, has trouble against quicker players but can give a step because of length. I like Walton better as an on ball defender, as he moves his feet better, but lack of length probably makes it a push.

On DX there is a 3 min segment of Nik getting dragged to the rim… don’t see it with Irvin

Who here believes our staff is just as happy with Marr, Dawkins and Robinson over Coleman, Booker and Diop? We are not getti g who they want. At some point they gotta be like Damn. Well do our best but…damn we are not getting who we Want.
Recruiting does matter. That’s why they fly around the country. Ill also predict a tuff year and a tougher future if we don’t pick it up.

This kid in essence could be taking the spot of one of our 2016 current offers. Would not feel good to say no to one them because we took a D3 transfer.

On DX there is a 3 min segment of Nik getting dragged to the rim.. don't see it with Irvin

All about improving lateral movement and quickness with Irvin, we won’t have to worry about strength negating “dragging” because they’ll already be by him.

On DX there is a 3 min segment of Nik getting dragged to the rim.. don't see it with Irvin

All about improving lateral movement and quickness with Irvin, we won’t have to worry about strength negating “dragging” because they’ll already be by him.

I don’t think Irvin’s feet are nearly as slow as Nik’s so he won’t be several steps behind on close outs

He will struggle with shifty guards just like Nik but not power guards unlike Nik

Who here believes our staff is just as happy with Marr, Dawkins and Robinson over Coleman, Booker and Diop? We are not getti g who they want.

They missed on Diop and got Chatman. I’d say that one worked out. They also missed on Prather and got Hardaway. Do you think they are lamenting not getting who they “want” in that situation?

I think they “want” everyone they get. It might not be a first choice, but everyone is out there recruiting against many many other schools. I’m not sure even K and Calipari bat more than .500. Nobody gets everyone they want.

And it turns out the kids that Beilein and staff DO get have worked out pretty effing well.

Everyone is overreacting to his visit. He could still be considered a walk-on and not cost the team a scholarship. Just because he is visiting doesn’t mean that he will offered a scholarship.

Who here believes our staff is just as happy with Marr, Dawkins and Robinson over Coleman, Booker and Diop? We are not getti g who they want.

They missed on Diop and got Chatman. I’d say that one worked out. They also missed on Prather and got Hardaway. Do you think they are lamenting not getting who they “want” in that situation?

I think they “want” everyone they get. It might not be a first choice, but everyone is out there recruiting against many many other schools. I’m not sure even K and Calipari bat more than .500. Nobody gets everyone they want.

And it turns out the kids that Beilein and staff DO get have worked out pretty effing well.

You’re oversimplifying - bottom line is that UK’s fallback option at PG was Ulis whereas our fallback for Coleman/Ali seems to be Robinson at this point. That’s a pretty large discrepancy in my book. Big difference when your plan B is a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10 whereas our plan B is 4.5 out of 10.

You get who fits the system and go to work. Michigan is not yet Duke or Kentucky and may never be on that level. But they will be very good every year and compete with the top 10 teams in the country. The program was in bad shape before JB came in and he will run it his way until he leaves.
His career does not depend on getting top talent like many other coaches, he just wins, and that works for me. I don’t need to see the best kids in the country at Michigan but I really like them being one of the best teams.

Everyone is overreacting to his visit. He could still be considered a walk-on and not cost the team a scholarship. Just because he is visiting doesn't mean that he will offered a scholarship.

No overreaction - Robinson stated that JB will offer on the visit per mgoblog

bottom line is that UK's fallback option at PG was Ulis whereas our fallback for Coleman/Ali seems to be Robinson at this point. That's a pretty large discrepancy in my book. Big difference when your plan B is a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10 whereas our plan B is 4.5 out of 10.

Two thoughts:

1. If Beilein takes Robinson now with Coleman (and, to a lesser extent, Ali) still available with Michigan firmly in the mix, does that indicate a “fallback”?

2. The problem with your scenario as outlined is that Michigan’s pool of “recruitable” players is smaller than others’ particularly at the top. There may not be a 7.5 that is available to Michigan, let alone that fits the staff’s criteria.

bottom line is that UK's fallback option at PG was Ulis whereas our fallback for Coleman/Ali seems to be Robinson at this point. That's a pretty large discrepancy in my book. Big difference when your plan B is a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10 whereas our plan B is 4.5 out of 10.

Two thoughts:

1. If Beilein takes Robinson now with Coleman (and, to a lesser extent, Ali) still available with Michigan firmly in the mix, does that indicate a “fallback”?

2. The problem with your scenario as outlined is that Michigan’s pool of “recruitable” players is smaller than others’ particularly at the top. There may not be a 7.5 that is available to Michigan, let alone that fits the staff’s criteria.

No one can answer #1 until it plays out.

With regard to #2 - is it possible that the “criteria” is flawed, and maybe that is the reason we are having this discussion in the first place. Our pool of available players is no smaller than any other school, whether the staff chooses to recruit certain players based on their schematic preferences (ie can he shoot from deep) is an entirely different story. Lets not confuse the terms “available” and “preferred”, they are not one in the same.

Less shooters more athletes please

Reading that mgoblog and forum post and man, can we be objective as a fanbase? Not everyone is Caris, Nik and Trey or even Tim and GR3…

If Robinson can be a John Shurna or Diebler then that is best scenario, if he can be the equivalent of Spike on the wing… take that too

Its pure delusion to think success will be sustained without a few more top 100 kids though (specifically a PG and a dynamic,athletic wing)

Reading that mgoblog and forum post and man, can we be objective as a fanbase? Not everyone is Caris, Nik and Trey or even Tim and GR3...

If Robinson can be a John Shurna or Diebler then that is best scenario, if he can be the equivalent of Spike on the wing… take that too

Its pure delusion to think success will be sustain without a few more top 100 kids though (specifically a PG and a dynamic,athletic wing)

Spot on, I’ve been trying to convey this message concerning objectivity for the past year.

This “everything we touch will turn to gold” mentality is completely delusional. For every Caris or THJ there is a Vogrich or Max