Duncan Robinson

"Too many outside influences directing some kids to certain programs." ------ that sums it up.

That, and a logjam in front of them. I’d pretty much guarantee that Booker didn’t want to sit behind Stauskas and LeVert (though things didn’t work out as expected).

I’ll agree that if we fall flat in the 2016 class, then I’ll get concerned. Until then, let’s keep winning Big Ten titles and tournament games.

How old is Duncan Robinson? He did a prep year and a year of college so 21?

Well, we'll still have several consensus top 100 players for at least the next two years (Walton, Irvin, Chatman, Wilson, Donnal), and I'd be quite surprised if we don't add a couple in 2016. And of course that doesn't count Caris. And I'll go out on a limb and predict now that Dawkins is an NBA talent.

I would agree you don’t want your entire class to consistent of unheard of guys. Going forward, I think we’ll see a mix of guys like Thornton and guys like Towns.

Well put and I tend to agree, that’s why I said I’d be content to wait until 2016…have enough talent to bridge the gap for now. Stars don’t mean anything to me (although there is a correlation to talent/stars to a certain extent)…as long as the players are talented. Towns is a top 100 player in my opinion, only a matter of time before he shows up as such.

Booker got enamored with the “bright lights hysteria.” I’ll be very surprised if he makes much of an impact his Frosh year at UK. And the inevitable blue chips following right behind him, good luck.

Booker was so overrated… now that is a one dimensional guy. Never understood how that kid was a borderline 5 star.

Booker got enamored with the "bright lights hysteria." I'll be very surprised if he makes much of an impact his Frosh year at UK. And the inevitable blue chips following right behind him, good luck.

I won’t be surprised if he transfers after one year.

Real funny. If your happy with D3 transfers. Good for you. Note that the staff is missing who they really want so are settling for this stuff. Crazy. National runner up & elite 8 and look at this.

So what are you suggesting we do? Fire Beilein?

No - he’s not going anywhere because he’s a winner. So whine all you want about recruiting, but it’s HIS paycheck that is at stake, not yours. Until he starts losing…which doesn’t look to be soon…he’s going to be around for as long as he wants.

It’s sexier to get a 4* or 5* but you can’t complain with the results on the court.

On the other hand, MSU rarely has a top 25 class in football, and yet they have surpassed us on the gridiron to the point where it's not even competitive if we're being honest.

true that last year’s game is hard to swallow but that is not the norm and will not be the norm.

on the other hand, I agree with you that Michigan will never recruit at the same level as Duke and Kentucky consistently if playing honestly.

I

On the other hand, MSU rarely has a top 25 class in football, and yet they have surpassed us on the gridiron to the point where it’s not even competitive if we’re being honest.

true that last year’s game is hard to swallow but that is not the norm and will not be the norm.

on the other hand, I agree with you that Michigan will never recruit at the same level as Duke and Kentucky consistently if playing honestly.

I’m a die hard UM football fan, but I have to call it how I see it…5 out of 6, with some blowouts sandwiched between…that’s not competitive and it is the norm at this point.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of every program. Let me be one of the first to say that IMO this is going to be a VERY challenging year ( couldn’t predict NBA defections ) for us. We have only 5 kids who have played in a D1 game ( including Max ) and absolutely no experience coming back up front. Contrast that with a career year of offensive efficiency that covered up for that “horrible” defensive effort last year and the multitude of close games that went our way, and I won’t be surprised at all if we don’t make the tourney. In no way can I personally see us duplicating that offensive efficiency to make up for a very inexperienced and defensively unproven team. Our “big3” were all sub-par defenders last year and that’s the truth. If JB can meld this team into a tourney representative, I will never harp about recruiting again.

As sick as this makes me, I think we’re actually going to wish we had last year’s “defense”. True question is whether Donnal can compensate with shooting/offense… I’m not holding my breath.

I can’t see Walton, LeVert, Irvin being worse as a perimeter trio than last year

I
On the other hand, MSU rarely has a top 25 class in football, and yet they have surpassed us on the gridiron to the point where it's not even competitive if we're being honest.

I’m a die hard UM football fan, but I have to call it how I see it…5 out of 6, with some blowouts sandwiched between…that’s not competitive and it is the norm at this point.

Not to discredit Dantonio and his staff, I think that they have done a great job, but to your point on recruiting there were some disastrous recruiting classes between Carr and RRod, not necessarily on the ranking but failing to address positional needs.

I’m with LAW and Sane1 and others. It is so enjoyable to be a fan of this program right now, and recruiting has proven that JB & Co both (1) will get some high level guys pretty much everyone is high on, and (2) get some guys not everyone is high on but turn into excellent players.

If JB can meld this team into a tourney representative, I will never harp about recruiting again.

We will see if you can hold to this. I will be shocked if this team doesn’t make the tourney.

I can't see Walton, LeVert, Irvin being worse as a perimeter trio than last year

Agreed, but I can’t see Donnal, Doyle, Wilson, Max being anywhere near competent in terms of weakside rotations, hedging, or rebounding to the extent that Jmo or Mitch would have been. I think it’s going to be rough going on the interior.

I'm with LAW and Sane1 and others. It is so enjoyable to be a fan of this program right now, and recruiting has proven that JB & Co both (1) will get some high level guys pretty much everyone is high on, and (2) get some guys not everyone is high on but turn into excellent players.
If JB can meld this team into a tourney representative, I will never harp about recruiting again.

We will see if you can hold to this. I will be shocked if this team doesn’t make the tourney.

I will be pleasantly surprised if they do. Readjustment and maturation year.

I

Not to discredit Dantonio and his staff, I think that they have done a great job, but to your point on recruiting there were some disastrous recruiting classes between Carr and RRod, not necessarily on the ranking but failing to address positional needs.

That was a good point up until last year…now it’s just an excuse. I mean, we’re literally talking 6 years ago at this point

Wow, really shocked by the negativity on this thread. I love the kid’s highlights, great shooter. It’s a push for me with him and Coleman, given that Coleman is dragging his feet and Robinson is already a) older and b) knows the offense. Coleman may have the higher ceiling, but make no mistake about it: this kid is legit and a perfect fit for the Beilein offense.

I like the Redonkulous…you’re Big Banging Ben! Wow, the kid hasn’t even signed yet guys. I think he has to sit a year which gives him the opportunity to grow, practice and get strong! No one in the country sees potential like Johnny B. How many 5 star recruits did THJ, Trey and Nik displace in the first round in three years?

It’s not where you start it’s where you finish! Not many 5 star kids fit the team culture under this staff. The players will never get guarantees walking in the door…time is earned!

I can't see Walton, LeVert, Irvin being worse as a perimeter trio than last year

One can hope, but ALOT more is going to asked from them on the offensive end this year too. Hard to see all three not logging 30+ minutes sans foul trouble, inevitable wearing down that sometimes translates to defensive performance. I have zero faith in Irvin as a competent perimeter defender from what I saw last year, Caris was not even remotely the defensive stopper he was advertised to be, and Walton meh. Another variable is no JMo. Even though he wasn’t a rim protector per se, his experience and savvy will be sorely missed.